Forums

Content Poll - Prestige

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445

Red Silk Vow
Aug Member 2023

Red Silk Vow

Posts: 1,553 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Tenyspe said :
"We’re not going to abandon the idea of providing more things to do and more accomplishments, but we are willing to look at other ways of doing this."

Sounds fun considering that you just released a new skill which is the same thing from lvl 1 to 99.

It's a good thing, then, that they can always introduce new ways to do things while they add more reason to do them, the latter of which is what prestige is.

Although with all the people who voted no screaming 'I don't want hiscores to change.' or 'Ugh, we don't need you forcing us to do stuff.', they probably won't want to actually give us new ways to train Divination or Prayer (since, even with altars from Construction, it's still the same thing from 1-99, same as it was with ecto, or with burying).

After all. We hate change. We hate NiS, we hate EoC, we hate anything else that gives us more reason to do something or makes the experience more rewarding.

Hate hate hate.

19-Oct-2013 13:09:14

Red Silk Vow
Aug Member 2023

Red Silk Vow

hanyo said :
I don't see prestige adding anything to the game. It just turns grinding into an infinite loop instead of something with a distant but possible goal.

So, don't do it. You don't have to. That's the point of optional content.

Hiscores don't add anything to the game, whether it be the main rank or the seasonal stuff, people still do them because it's fun and they like seeing themselves improve.

With the exp cap (which, as I've stated before, requires more work to change than the history of the game combined and will have numerous issues that many people won't consider it worth dealing with just for), some people decide to stop doing activities they enjoy because of exactly that - a cap. They go on and do something that has a benefit.

With prestige, they could reset their skill, and keep on enjoying it. You can argue they can do that already, but they don't have anything to show for it unless it's combat. And combat isn't the only part of the game, and you only get something to show for it if you camp Nex/KK/Vorago etc, and some people like variety as well as not having the resources in other areas of the game to actually be able to camp endgame bosses.

It doesn't technically add anything. Neither did hiscores. But look at all the possiblities that came around because of hiscores - you've got people going around killing K'ril with flowers and whatnot just to have fun with each other and enjoy the same old game in new ways.

That is what things like prestige can do if you give them a chance, even if you never actually use it yourself.

Oh, and as far as an endless loop?

I still play Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I/II, Civilization II, Colonization, and other 15-20 year old games, despite having beaten them countless times since I was but a wee lad.

You know why?
It's because they're fun.
I pointlessly grind through it, as you say, because it is fun.

19-Oct-2013 13:44:46 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2013 13:49:07 by Red Silk Vow

Dadizar
Oct Member 2005

Dadizar

Posts: 5,902 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Red Silk Vow said :

So, don't do it. You don't have to. That's the point of optional content.

Hiscores don't add anything to the game, whether it be the main rank or the seasonal stuff, people still do them because it's fun and they like seeing themselves improve...

With prestige, they could reset their skill, and keep on enjoying it...

That is what things like prestige can do if you give them a chance, even if you never actually use it yourself.

Prestige DOES DESTROY the REAL high score table by making it a footnote.

Everything thing else you argue for can be accomplished without prestige.

Is playing low level content any less fun with out resetting your level? You realize you can play lower level content wherever you want for FUN (unless it is not fun unless you are advancing your rank.)

The seasonal high scores could be used properly by having one year, one month, one week, rolling one year, rolling one month, and rolling one week tables for each individual skill and total XP. Prestige is not needed to do this. (Unless you need to leap-frog past people with more XP and gain an unfair advantage by pressing a reset button.) This would create fair and unbiased competition.

I fail to see how anything on your list of things to enjoy requires prestige to make them enjoyable. (Unless it is all about "competition" that lets you advance past people by a single button press.)

At least be honest with yourself.

EDIT: The cosmetic rewards could be given out at the total XP equivalent to the prestige defined rewards. Once again prestige is not required to do this.

The more I think about it, the only thing that prestige is required for is to leap-frog past players with more XP in a high score table without having to do anything, just use an unfair advantage.

Prestige is a truly horrid idea.
§¤*
What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity. - Leo Buscaglia
»¤§

19-Oct-2013 14:42:07 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2013 14:50:18 by Dadizar

Fazerizee

Fazerizee

Posts: 16 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I voted no, cause it is just a no life idea for players to play this game for the rest of there lifes, so i think its stupid i dont like it, i aint crying about it but its just stupid so its not Runescape duty its runescape and stop copying first person shooter ideas..

19-Oct-2013 15:05:23

Red Silk Vow
Aug Member 2023

Red Silk Vow

Dadizar said :

Prestige DOES DESTROY the REAL high score table by making it a footnote.

How does it make it a footnote? You can't get to the prestige one without it, and it's stupidly easy to make them equal, or allow preference as to the user's whim.

Not to mention the fact that EVERYTHING YOU DO IN IT CARRIES OVER.

Dadizar said :

Is playing low level content any less fun with out resetting your level? You realize you can play lower level content wherever you want for FUN (unless it is not fun unless you are advancing your rank.)

I don't care about rank. I care about what I'm doing has a benefit. I never once considered going past 13.1m before dung because it had absolutely no benefit to doing so unless it was something I enjoyed. Therefore, all experience gained was incidental, not the reason I was doing something.

With prestige, I'd be able to actually DISPLAY that by showing that I've got more than 200m in a skill- or have prestiged it multiple times.

There's no reason for me to do anything low level- it doesn't make the money it used to because there's less incentive for new players to bother selling it, as it has no demand. As much fun as I derive from any activity, without money I can't continue doing them and carrying on with training things I don't like, or need for tasks and other requirements.

But I would have the possibility of making friends with new players, or low level ones, while advancing my character in an OBSERVABLE way, with prestige, and still benefit from it in multiple ways, whether or not they make any additions to use those products or not.

19-Oct-2013 15:07:14 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2013 15:14:11 by Red Silk Vow

Red Silk Vow
Aug Member 2023

Red Silk Vow

Dadizar said :
I fail to see how anything on your list of things to enjoy requires prestige to make them enjoyable. (Unless it is all about "competition" that lets you advance past people by a single button press.)

At least be honest with yourself.

EDIT: The cosmetic rewards could be given out at the total XP equivalent to the prestige defined rewards. Once again prestige is not required to do this.

The more I think about it, the only thing that prestige is required for is to leap-frog past players with more XP in a high score table without having to do anything, just use an unfair advantage.

Prestige is a truly horrid idea.

It doesn't require it. We didn't require having the elf questline in addition to the dwarven one. We didn't require having the dragonkin questline in addition to the Vyre one.

Why does everything have to be a damned either or with all you people? Why, we either make Divination, or we don't, and we make other skills better.

There's this word, and. It's used a lot in logic and programming. It allows you to do MULTIPLE THINGS AT ONCE.

If you don't like Prestige because you think it's all about nolifing the game @ifDestiny, newflash: IT'S OPTIONAL.

If you don't like it because you think other things can do it too- Why, other things can do what Hunter, or Summoning, or Construction, or Divination did.

We still got them, and most people love at least one of them, if not multiple of them.

Stop being dishonest with yourself and recognize that nothing "requires" something to be enjoyable. But they can make it
better
by adding more reason to do so. If you don't like that reason, your prerogative. But others might.

It's not the idea that's horrible- it's your viewpoint.

19-Oct-2013 15:11:15 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2013 15:11:59 by Red Silk Vow

Dadizar
Oct Member 2005

Dadizar

Posts: 5,902 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Red Silk Vow said :

Thank you for admitting that your only motivation for voting YES is all about you.

Time to stop calling the NO voters selfish.
§¤*
What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity. - Leo Buscaglia
»¤§

19-Oct-2013 15:15:41

Red Silk Vow
Aug Member 2023

Red Silk Vow

Dadizar said :

It would be if any of those numbers were over 200m. But let's not bother arguing over that issue.

I'd be all for them being available in another manner for those who choose not to prestige, as it were. I don't think optional content should be forced, or that aesthetics should have only one source.

It's one reason I don't mind bonds, you can still play the game and things from Solomon's without having to pay out more than your membership.

19-Oct-2013 15:18:33

Quick find code: 294-295-289-65183445 Back to Top