Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Averia Light said :
Mod Neena said :
Hey guys,

So if it is in the gray area, why not leave it in the place the author originally made the thread?

Makes too much sense apparently

I think she is trying to placate him by saying it is a grey area. In reality it is crystal clear what the thread is discussing I mean just reading the responses will confirm it is about forum usage, if you were in any doubt. Forum usage is nothing to do with the game. The general section is for discussing the game and jagex, it is stated in the FSR for the section. Worth mentioning, some mods probably forget the bit about discussing jagex as I've seen threads moved to Off Topic from general because they were discussing jagex and not runescape.

Funnily enough the Website and Forum sections is for discussing the website and forums. In my mind discussion doesn't equate to functionality as the OP of the thread seemed to think it did.

There should really be no reason to be even remotely upset about the thread(s) being moved, and for me it is a step forward as the last thread that I reported that clearly didn't belong there wasn't moved and that was even more obvious as to what it was discussing (grammar on the forums).

In regards to the points about activity nope it probably won't make the forums more active but it at least has the chance of generating posts in this section and maybe encouraging users to read other threads in this section. Then you can consider the effect of knowingly leaving threads in the wrong section: another forumer may be annoyed by this when they put their thread in a quieter but correct section or another may think if they can do it so can I which increase the spam in the section or if they put their thread there and it gets moved yet the others don't that too could cause annoyance in the user.

23-Mar-2016 19:39:25

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wouldn't care if there was not a jagex mod who made a thread about forum community helpers still in the general forum lolo

Literally threads were being moved while that was on page one.

And there is the underlying drama reason which is why I think only some threads about the forums are being transferred here.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

23-Mar-2016 20:27:35 - Last edited on 23-Mar-2016 20:43:18 by Averia Light

Stoat King

Stoat King

Posts: 5,075 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I am disturbed by the suddenness of this change in policy and its apparent cause.
It just seems so arbitrary.
I seem to remember you arguing for just such as change as has just occurred and getting into trouble for it, so I doubt you disagree with the arbitrary bit.
There have been threads like that in general like that for as long as I remember. And who benefits from this change other than its instigator? A bunch of threads moved, all of which are now locked and there are more to follow. Plenty remain in general, many of which were created by fmods, including that ancient one about fmod quotes.

Oh well - no doubt the policy will get changed back for similarly flimsy reasons.

Poorly worded edrama / harassment seems to be the key to the lock lol

The rules are meaningless and the jmods don't give a **** is the impression im left with.
Onwards and upwards!

23-Mar-2016 20:34:05

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

I do indeed have trouble reasoning the logic behind the decisions they make and made a comment to that extent when I requested the two threads be reviewed. As to other threads in general I don't visit the section with much regularity and I'm not sure if I even know what the quotes thread is. Suffice to say if I see them and they annoy me I'll request them to be reviewed. Maybe it makes me a bit sad but I believe in the long run it is better that all threads are where they belong to stop spam or even favouritism for that matter.

I do recall threads being made about the sticky spam and them basically saying we can do what we want so suck it. Two threads about the Chinese takeover there now for instance.

Then when they unstick them they don't bother locking them (community helper/support stats) and they can be bumped by users and because it is a jmod thread fmods would be reluctant to lock it.

I touched on the issue of fmods getting away with misplaced threads earlier and it is down to etiquette that they don't interfere with each other (fairly sure a mod or more made comment in here not that long ago about it) or not moving ones fmods have posted on for the same reason, same with ones j mods have posted on/created (unless it is really obvious) no hard fact to back any of this up just observation and recollection of posts by mods on the matter.

As for non fmod threads not getting moved well I've always had the opinion that there are some mods who have a biased interest in the general section and will turn a blind eye to some threads if they are interesting/interested in it. Which touches on the if a mod has posted the next one who comes along would probably not move it.

Well to be honest I personally thought it a bit pathetic they locked their threads once moved out of the popular forum as though this section wasn't worth the time to bump/check.

I only really have an interest in this and the Off Topic section so dram taking place in other sections passes me by

23-Mar-2016 21:15:12

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

I ran out of characters but was going to add this after the bnit about bias towards general:

I've seen it in Off Topic where some threads are breaking the rules and the regualr OT mod would post and say they're leaving it open but will monitor it as it is interesting.

Not that we have a regular one anymore unless Rooh has fully recovered which it doesn't look like it and Vand seems to have gone inactive since being remodded.

I've also seen many that are just plain spam get posted on by a jmod/fmod and then others post on.

Seriously there was about three threads with the title potato I'm fairly sure one started with "discuss" nothing more and another "I like them" nothing more the other was by nexus I believe and actually had some more information about potatoes The spam ones got jmod/fmod posts and left open.

There was a thread asking how old users were an fmod posted on it but didn't lock it it was left and was active for ages and well bumped (personal details are clamped down on ingame as well as here)

Last week we've got threads asking for your favourite music aritst locked because people may be giving their recovery details away and a list of other topics we shouldn't post incase people might divulge them.

Bit of a tangent there but I'm sure you got the jist.

23-Mar-2016 21:22:50 - Last edited on 23-Mar-2016 21:27:19 by Wilf

Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740 Back to Top