Forums

W&F Discussion and Chat Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740

Mod Chrisso

Mod Chrisso

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Hey Icey, I'm afraid I don't really have any involvement in rule making outside of W&F - I'll pass your request over to one of the CM people though.

09-Oct-2013 10:13:01

Miss Misty
Aug Member 2020

Miss Misty

Posts: 10,793 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Treemaid (that came up as hatred aid at first...),

I have created a directory for new game content suggestions and a guide directory however I haven't created a directory for this forum, it didn't really seem essential and there is probably one out there already. I can't help it.... All of these lovely smart and organised directories get me going hehehehe. OCD alert!

Forum Addict :D
`·.„¸¸,.¤
*°‘°•
}{
•°‘°*
¤.,¸¸„.·´
·.·:!¡ïÏï¡!:·.·
Miss Misty
·.·:!¡ïÏï¡!:·.·
Owner - Montys Crusaders

09-Oct-2013 10:32:43

Iceberg
Sep Member 2008

Iceberg

Posts: 20,587 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mod Chrisso said :
Hey Icey, I'm afraid I don't really have any involvement in rule making outside of W&F - I'll pass your request over to one of the CM people though.

Thank you. =)
… .
_|¯¯¯|_

… …
( '
v
' )
.……
I
C
E
B
E
R
G

>--
(
:
)
--<

09-Oct-2013 10:45:35

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
RE: 3.5

'no no, just the chat element has been made more explicit. Website and Forums folks have always been inclined towards meaty discussions and a leopard can't change its spots after all'
--
err, a leopard might not be able to change his spots, I agree, but, the first four pages contain examples of how a leopard transformed into a household cat, which is a shame since the leopard is much more unique in nature than the household cat.

I also agree that the chat element has been made more explicit, hence my comment that the W&F Discussion thread has been downgraded to a chat type thread format that is common in the other forums.

The previous W&F Discussion thread was unique due to the fact that you did not have to wade through a bunch of chit-chat clutter that had nothing to do with W&F or the discussion taking place on the thread. Anyone who has used this thread since it's initial creation can not deny that the previous W&F Discussion thread's format was unique in that aspect. It is true that there was some 'chat' but that 'chat' always related to the discussion taking place.

Regarding the opening post, let's take a peek at it shall we...

Welcome to the Website & Forum Discussion and Chat thread!

What is this thread for?

'This thread is for the W&F pixies to hang out and chat. Whether you want to chat about about the website, the RuneScape Official Forum or just want to have a general chat with other forum folk, feel free to pull up a seat and relax.'
--

The opening post sets the standard for the threads purpose and content, the word 'discussion' is not even used. We see the word 'discussion' only in the title.

The word 'chat' is used three times in the description setting the tone for the threads purpose and content. The word 'chat' includes a discription of the type of content that is allowed to be 'chatted' about.

1. Chat about the website
2. Chat about the RSOF
3 Chat about general stuff has nothing to do with either the website or RSOF

cont
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

09-Oct-2013 15:05:15 - Last edited on 09-Oct-2013 15:13:19 by Windsofnight

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

The description on the previous post, *cough* describes a chit-chat thread where a discussion rarely takes place or is even allowed to take place. It does not describe a thread where a discussion can occur. Please no one start writing a rebuttal against 'just' the previous sentence yet, since the following ties directly to that sentence.

4. 'feel free to pull up a seat and relax'

It is common to see on chat threads that participants who try to have a discussion on a chat thread are moderated for doing so. The moderation is based on the purpose of a chat thread as being 'relax' based (chit-chat) rather than 'thought-out' based (discussion). Discussion are not encouraged or wanted on chat threads.

5. Directing the Elements of Discussion Away From the Thread:

Threads you may be looking for:

The Forum Improvements Thread
The Website Improvement Thread
Website & Forum Content Quick Fixes
RS Wiki Discussion
Full List of BBCode Colours
RS Forums & Community Handbook
Forum Help

There is no issue with suggesting threads that may be of interest to other forum users since they might want to contribute to those threads. However the prior W&F Discussion thread also contained posts that contained content elements associated with all of the suggested threads too. A review of the content of the prior W&D thread supports that the initial purpose of this thread was not a 'specific content' type thread and hosted lively 'discussion' on content that each of those suggested threads host without the clutter of chit-chat about 'general stuff that has nothing to do with either the website or RSOF'. Oh...wait...you can't review the content of the previous W&F Discussion thread...

cont

09-Oct-2013 15:05:25 - Last edited on 09-Oct-2013 15:21:57 by Windsofnight

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

5. Directing the Elements of Discussion Away From the Thread: (cont)

It could appear now that if you are wanting to discuss content elements associated with the subjects in the suggested thread list then your discussion should be posted to those threads rather than on this thread since the focus is on 'chat and relax' rather than on having a 'discussion'. This is a fair assumption to make since the opening post focus appears to be on a chat and relax format that includes 'chat about general stuff that has nothing to do with either the website or RSOF' and the word discussion is not even mentioned.

6. A Surprising Paradoxical Situation:

It has been noted that sometimes when a person has posted to a suggested thread under the assumption they are posting on the right thread, based on the title of the thread, to discuss content that they think fits to the thread, they are sometimes either directed off of the thread, told to create their own thread, ignored and in some cases, moderated for posting in the wrong thread.

7. Conclusion:

The W&F Discussion Thread initial purpose and format has been downgraded. The result of this downgrade is already apparent.

09-Oct-2013 15:05:36 - Last edited on 09-Oct-2013 15:39:45 by Windsofnight

Quick find code: 278-279-715-65175740 Back to Top