Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Oh that's the non members Linkify badge, the flip side just says Contributor Since + date

I have a question about those, too :)

Some of them that I've noticed (Joe's and Amaethwr's) don't show the contributor since side of the badge on a "standard thread", like this one..

HTTP://i.imgur.com/UvbJTmx.png

But, if you view all the posts by a user on a thread, it does show...

HTTP://i.imgur.com/TYzIUmn.png

Then, for other users (like Bodyy), the contributor since side does show on the "standard thread"

HTTP://i.imgur.com/VEUxDhz.png

Not sure if you know about that, or if it's intended to work some specific way and is working as intended, but thought I'd ask and see what you thought :)

Edit: Just realized you said non-member, so it's probably the membership icon showing (as intended) on the main thread, but currently shows the Contributor side on the "Showuser=" page

Not sure which way you wanted it, or if it's just right :)
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

14-Mar-2016 02:09:03 - Last edited on 14-Mar-2016 02:11:05 by Keighlea

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yep I know about those inconsistencies :)

Here's how it works....

Without Linkify:
- Posts by users have no badges.
- Post preview have no badges.
- Thread preview, again no badges.

So that means if you have a linkify badge and the page doesn't have a badge, RS Linkify can't know if you are a member or not, thus defaults to the non member linkify badge for the flip side.

I don't wish to remove anyone's members badge, I don't think that's a cool thing to do. So I made it the flip side. But obviously that can't work for non members, thus a default flip side was made.

Basically if the page is void of badges, and you have a linkify badge the flip side has a default, as seen in the examples above.

I hope that explains what's going on :)

14-Mar-2016 02:56:37 - Last edited on 14-Mar-2016 02:57:37 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Oh that's the non members Linkify badge, the flip side just says Contributor Since + date. I know the text is tiny but I don't have much space and I need something for the badge flip.

Around 7 people with badges are not active any more

That kinda explains why I hadn't noticed it up until now :) It's awesome, and smart thinking!

+ Has it really been May 2013? Time literally flies by. Oh well, glad to be there for every single minute (or rather, when I visit OT)

Thank you! ­<3
Unslain Bosses - Clan

14-Mar-2016 04:02:14

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Yep, 14th of May 2013 RS Linkify became public. That same day I made a thread "My Fix for broken Forum Links"

All RS Linkify did was repair the damage the censor was doing to the links in our posts on HLF.

I thought the censor issue would be resolved quickly (I know better nowadays) and figured I'd remove RS Linkify from the chrome app store after a week or so. Before the end of the day I had over 100 users, with people giving feedback and posting new links for me to fix.

That thread maxed, then V2 was made. Literally 100's of requests made by players for the Linkify thread to be stickied. Then it was stickied in High Level General thanks to Mod Lee.

Moved to Off topic later, tbh I wasn't sure how to feel about that. But I'm very happy here in this section and if given the choice I'd rather my thread stay here in this section.

Funny when I think back, I really had no idea what I was in for. RFI was going strong as well as RFE. All I tried to do was make sure my extension played nicely with those, I was so careful not to step on anyone's toes.

But those guys had other priorities and their apps weren't kept up to date. Feature requests quickly ensued.

Once I was sure those other plugins weren't being supported I stopped holding back. I made sure my extension wasn't a clone of what came before. That wasn't hard since my coding style is different, and perhaps my objectives too. But the big focus for me has been building this extension with the forum community.

RS Linkify's life expectancy was 3 weeks, it's now almost 3 years later. The future is uncertain, a single forum update could eliminate the need for my extension. But it doesn't matter because the friendships I've made along the way will continue with or without linkify :)

14-Mar-2016 04:55:46

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
In all honesty I never used RFI, or RFE (don't even know what this is), Linkify has been my one and only RSOF extension. I didn't forum much in 2012 as I was taking a break from RS, which is when that became popular. When I started posting again, Linkify started and I joined in; really glad I did.

I didn't expect you to still be going in all honesty, but I am glad you are.

You have been a much needed help to the HLF over the years, and all out of your spare time and love for us noobs, so, thank you for that.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

14-Mar-2016 05:29:40

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I never used them either, but I had to install them to make sure RS Linkify didn't clash with them. I didn't want my extension breaking someone else's.

Hevilmystic said :
I didn't expect you to still be going in all honesty, but I am glad you are

Oh time for breakfast, else I wont still be going!
http://i.imgur.com/bS9fP7w.png

14-Mar-2016 06:02:59

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Good morning =)

I have two topics of discussion:

1) At the bottom of a thread, clicking this arrow does not send you to the last page of said thread. Would making an arrow to do that be practical and difficult to implement?

HTTP://puu.sh/nH8rp/cb20b903f2.jpg

2) Would it be reasonable to implement a text/word to image troll face. The reason being a troll face can express sarcasm that words on the internet cannot... I think this may help people better communicate. See an example of a troll face below :)

HTTP://puu.sh/nH8GJ/618d63dc91.jpg

I hope your ironman is going well! I'm not very talkative in-game sorry about that, I really appreciated your congrats on my dye though ­<3 thank you :)

Edit: Ohhh I just noticed my Linkify badge, thank you!! I've been posting on my phone the past day or two because of work :( or I would have came straight here lol. That really is an honor to me and I never expected it, I really just love our Linkify family. It's sad to think of a time and place where Linkify didn't / doesn't exist.
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

15-Mar-2016 06:43:57 - Last edited on 15-Mar-2016 07:24:03 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Bodyy :)
Body btw said :
1) At the bottom of a thread, clicking this arrow does not send you to the last page of said thread. Would making an arrow to do that be practical and difficult to implement?

Those arrows are meant to go to next or previous page. Considering there is the page number buttons that always have the option to go to first and last page, it would be just be doubling up on the same functions. If there wasn't a means to do that then I would do it, but putting it there twice isn't something I'm keen on doing.
Body btw said :
Would it be reasonable to implement a text/word to image troll face

Sure I can do that if you can provide me a nice image to use and also suggest what text it should apply to. If it's like a smiley I may be able to incorporate it into the existing smileys.

Body btw said :
Ohhh I just noticed my Linkify badge, thank you!

Actually the badge is my way of saying thank you, so...

Thank you :)

15-Mar-2016 07:57:27

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Those arrows are meant to go to next or previous page. Considering there is the page number buttons that always have the option to go to first and last page, it would be just be doubling up on the same functions. If there wasn't a means to do that then I would do it, but putting it there twice isn't something I'm keen on doing.
I see, thank you for the explanation :)

Indecent Act said :
Sure I can do that if you can provide me a nice image to use and also suggest what text it should apply to. If it's like a smiley I may be able to incorporate it into the existing smileys.
I think something about the size of the text to image heart like this "­<3" would be ideal. Something small and also a "funny-looking" troll face not something aggressive because the idea really is to express sarcasm; that you're not serious about a comment.

I personally like the one troll face in my rago example but I would like other input from Lust or others (Lust is good at posting odd images and resizing them :p ). I'd say let's wait for input maybe but if you'd like me to repost a better image of the small one in my example by itself I can do that (I'm terrible at resizing and making an image clearer but I may be able to figure it out).

Edit: I'm thinking *troll for the text. If we want to push the idea that it's meant to express sarcasm rather than aggressive trolling, then *sarcasm

HTTP://pix.iemoji.com/images/emoji/apple/ios-9/256/japanese-ogre.png
Indecent Act said :
Actually the badge is my way of saying thank you, so...

Thank you
Oh, well you're very welcome and I'm grateful for Linkify :)
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

15-Mar-2016 08:19:05 - Last edited on 15-Mar-2016 10:23:06 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I've resized to be the same as other images I use.
­support http://i.imgur.com/hsvFZrD.png ­<3 They are the same height (25px)

I was thinking something like *trollface = http://i.imgur.com/hsvFZrD.png Must consider how it will look for non linkify users. The word troll could be taken a number of ways. I think trollface helps keep in context. Of course I'm open to you thoughts just keep in mind how the word may be interpreted without the image.

Cant see its hair on the dark background, but it is there. Not sure what you think of the size but going much bigger means it'll push text below it further away.

Here's another one I did with slight glow around it to bring out the hair a little more.

http://i.imgur.com/CJ3F132.png

And next to the others for compassion...

­support http://i.imgur.com/CJ3F132.png ­<3

15-Mar-2016 10:58:08 - Last edited on 15-Mar-2016 11:02:27 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top