RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Weyburns
Nov Member 2021

Weyburns

Posts: 4,823 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hevilmystic said :
Weyburns said :
whats with linkify going through browser history?

This is to recolour your visited links so you can easily distinguish whether you have visited the thread before, and/or whether you have visited the last post. If you block this, the forums will look like this:

HTTP://i.imgur.com/7bQOotY.png

If you allow it, it looks more like this:

HTTP://i.imgur.com/bx2dzvf.png

And for an example of visiting the thread, but not the last post:

http://i.imgur.com/fKkduM1.png

The data thing, I am not too sure about, but since it's being requested at the same time, I can't help but think it's related.

oh damn that's actually pretty useful, ty for the response
Hardcore Ironman
|
Ironman Discussion

@WeyburnRS
|
Draconic Fury

06-Aug-2016 21:05:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hevilmystic said :
HTTP://i.imgur.com/2nNop4z.png

Plain and simple!
Love it, ty ­<3

Ecruteak said :
Oh my god bruh thanksiesssssss

clicking the images without having to disable the extension works nao :D

Chigz said :
Oo so I just updated it following the instructions on the first page, looks like it could have been because of the version of Linkify i was running, idk. Everything seems to work now :)

So glad that's sorted out now, thanks for letting me know that the last update did the trick :)

07-Aug-2016 01:46:25 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2016 02:13:37 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Weyburns said :
i got a new laptop (again), and when i re-installed chrome popped this up:

HTTP://imgur.com/Z0wDd.png

whats with linkify going through browser history? and idk how much reading + changing data on rs does

What Rowley said :)

Also the changing data is exactly that. Basically it means the pages can be manipulated some how.

Also the history thing isn't exactly history as such. The history permission is requested only when enabling that bookmark option for the first time. The initial history warning isn't your browsers history cache or anything to do with it. Confusing right?

You see, it is technically possible for RS Linkify to remember what forum pages you visit (even though RS Linkify doesn't) and that means it is possible to harvest your forum history in real time, thus the history warning.

That warning actually comes from the use of the chome.tabs permission and not the history at all. And the optional history permission for the bookmarks is the same but actually applies to the history. The beauty of simplicity!

So even agreeing to those first two conditions doesn't mean RS Linkify can read your history, it could technically harvest history from forum pages as you visit them, but not see or change your history.

Chrome have made this quite confusing for users and developers. There are many complaints from devs about the wording. But chrome takes it to the extreme with their warnings and privacy, and for my code it doesn't really matter.

You have to explicitly and separately give RS Linkify permission to do the history thing, completely optional.

The warnings have changed since I started writing RS Linkify and will continue to do so, google like to mess with this stuff. Ironically I can make changes to get rid of the history warning without losing functionality, but I don't have a problem with it :)

https://www.rslinkify.indecentcode.com/privacy_policy.php

07-Aug-2016 02:09:34 - Last edited on 07-Aug-2016 07:57:58 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top