Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Klyntar said :
That page I posted before loads great now. It would probably be better for someone else to test it though, because I do have some pretty decent internet.

I consider myself a pretty good test for the slow internet side of things. No ADSL, fibre, cable, etc. Hell I can't even get dialup (if it still exists) as where I live is too remote for phone lines.

I do get a usable 3g signal for my internet, and if the wind blows in the right direction I can get 4g. So yeah, I have the crap internet side of things covered pretty well :)

Morgan said :
Thanks for the old font, Indsy. There's something minor I noticed. Text in quick reply box doesn't appear aligned with the top margin (it's almost touching it), and the format buttons appear slightly off centre.

Just published Version 3.1.9.28

- The alignment you mentioned is fixed.

- Fixed the new font option, wasn't always applying when opening pages in new tabs.

- Made some tweaks to quoting (actually did it ages ago, kept forgetting to publish them)

- Fixed my espresso machine, RS Linkify is once again caffeine powered :)

Edit: I've missed some places when applying the old fonts. Player titles and player name above the rs logo. If anyone finds any others I've missed let me know and I'll sort it in my next update :)

25-Feb-2016 06:41:45 - Last edited on 25-Feb-2016 11:06:59 by Indecent Act

Lust
Feb Member 2012

Lust

Posts: 17,455 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I feel silly, been on the forums most of today and I only just realised the font was changed back after reading this thread

Thanks Indy! :D
help.

25-Feb-2016 10:28:09 - Last edited on 25-Feb-2016 10:28:25 by Lust

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Lust :)

Oh, I'm not sure that's a good thing since I didn't intend it to be enabled by default.

It's meant to be enabled in the settings by the user. That's how it was for me after the update, I better check a few things I guess.

Seems to be fairly widely accepted that blurry text isn't nice to look at, so if my defaults for the font option aren't set to off it's not the end of the world. But I do prefer the user makes their own choice.

Anyway I'm glad you like :)

25-Feb-2016 11:25:06

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hevilmystic said :
This is why we love you Indy :P

Awww love you all ­<3 :)

I guess it's been a bit different lately for me with linkify, I have been running my optimisations since just after the new year. Every time I switched back to the current public version I would cringe at the page stutters (some happen without linkify) and I kept feeling as though I need to get this out asap.

The changes are not only about linkify's performance, but other stuff. Like now the background textures (appear to) persist between page loads (much easier on the eyes). Elements that jump around on page load (without linkify) I have also changed so again page load is smoother. Many other little things (avatars, custom colours, time & date conversions, and so on) all have a performance boost, and believe me, testing it has been a slow process.

Linkify has always been rock solid stable, sure there have been bugs and oversights but stability has always been right up there, it's really important to me. I've been wanting so badly to get this stuff out, but only when I'm sure it's right.

For me there is nothing worse than creating something that's not getting used. It really hit home with the font. So in the last few days I have spent every spare second working on getting this out. It's a small update in terms of content, but it's a quite a big update from my perspective and been a lot of work too.

I'm not even sure if others can see the difference in page loading and such, but I know it's there and I know my users have it too. It feels so good to have it out in the wild :)

25-Feb-2016 12:14:43 - Last edited on 25-Feb-2016 12:52:16 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The forums have always been really fluid for me, something I take for granted - I'd hate to hop over to another browser, and honestly, Linkify is one reason why I have never tried Firefox. The font change was much needed so I am glad you put the time into changing it for us, but on the subject of fonts... It was just changed again:

HTTP://i.imgur.com/soONFAC.png

Old (Linkify) on the left, and the new, new font on the right.

It looks a lot less squished from the sides, however it does seem a bit squished from the top. However the thread names, etc, all look fine now (imo) without Linkify's assistance, so I also feel quite bad :(

­<3
Unslain Bosses - Clan

25-Feb-2016 16:02:07

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Boba Fett, it sure can be made into an avatar.

I left the orange background alone as I think the pic loses definition without it. But I can remove the background if you like :)

http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10767.png

Hevilmystic said :
The forums have always been really fluid for me, something I take for granted - I'd hate to hop over to another browser, and honestly, Linkify is one reason why I have never tried Firefox. The font change was much needed so I am glad you put the time into changing it for us, but on the subject of fonts... It was just changed again:

HTTP://i.imgur.com/soONFAC.png

Old (Linkify) on the left, and the new, new font on the right.

It looks a lot less squished from the sides, however it does seem a bit squished from the top. However the thread names, etc, all look fine now (imo) without Linkify's assistance, so I also feel quite bad :(

­<3

Thanks for posting, it would have taken me a while before I noticed the change. I'm glad they did something because I really don't want to ship font files with my extension to fix silly issues (I'd rather add more variety). I'm going to happily remove the font option in my next update.

There are still some areas with the fonts that need work, like titles, and some of the small headings. But that's easy to fix. I think some of the fonts they use don't contain information for bold type. So when the page tells the browser to use bold and the info for bold isn't there, the browser just stretches the font to appear bold, thus losing it's sharpness.

Anyway thanks again for making aware, now we just need these people to learn about typography and understand why all capitals is bad when overused.

26-Feb-2016 00:35:59

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
I do get a usable 3g signal for my internet, and if the wind blows in the right direction I can get 4g.
LOL :P

good reads everyone :) and thank you indy for the awesome update !

Edit: Just read your above post Indy, I couldn't agree more. I don't know a lot about this stuff, I just know enough to notice when things look stupid lol. Jagex should care about how their forums and site looks smh
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

26-Feb-2016 09:18:17 - Last edited on 26-Feb-2016 16:33:18 by Body btw

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top