Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
General sync'ing between devices wins it for me when it comes to Chrome, I've got all my PC bookmarks on mobile Chrome and vice versa, that and everything.

I might give Opera a go soon. My phone is a bit old and Chrome is starting to slow it down often :(

19-Oct-2015 03:42:09

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aside from the syncing, Chrome wins for me because I use hardware authentication for all my stuff. To access my server, gmail, google developers dashboard, all linkify related stuff requires a USB key. Not even my own desktop is trusted.

Without the physical key nothing can be accessed, until other places adopt similar technology I'll be sticking with the strongest hardware authentication around. It's great for me because I don't have mobile phone and this is more secure than text message two step verification.

I guess it depends on your needs, but for me this is a winner and it's biggest reason I like chrome.

Prices start at around $5 but personally I think it's wise to spend a little more. The thing is, it's very affordable.
http://i.imgur.com/WJ8sEUQ.png

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103523?hl=en

Chrome was an early adopter and now and other sites are following.

list of sites that use this technology (look Jagex it's easy why don't you support this? All that's needed is a little software no hardware at all)
http://www.dongleauth.info/

https://fidoalliance.org/google-launches-security-key-worlds-first-deployment-of-fast-identity-online-universal-second-factor-fido-u2f-authentication/

19-Oct-2015 03:57:23 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2015 04:25:33 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Honest question, is such a level of security necessary? and is that level of security worth having Linkify only on Chrome?

Also, I question the security. Hardware can get damaged just as easily as software, if not easier (I think). What happens if the "key" is damaged? and is it really THAT much more secure?

I'm not attacking you, I'm just genuinely curious! :) Also, I hope everything's ok with everyone here on Linkify. I haven't seen Blasty in awhile though?
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

19-Oct-2015 05:56:44

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Well think about what could happen if someone got into my Linkify account and could upload what ever scripts they wanted. That's not good for people such as yourself.

Currently if you have my phone number or my phone, my email address, and my user name and my password, you can't get in.

As for email security, two step text message is good but not perfect. Why not use the best, when it's easier and more secure.

People with two step text message verification still have their emails compromised as seen here on RSOF. But if they had a key they would have been protected.

TL :D R I don't settle for second best if I can help it, and I have a responsibility to my users that I take seriously :)

Edit: if you lose it or it's damaged there is a way to handle that with a on off hard copy of a key, can be used once. The links explain all this stuff better than I can though.

19-Oct-2015 07:19:37 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2015 07:27:38 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

As seen here on RSOF, people are fools, but I respect your decisions greatly Indy :) I was just curious. Although I still wonder what the likelihood of hardware such as that key getting damaged is. Sometimes hardware just fails, in my experience.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that! :p Someone should give blasty a poke, he's been gone awhile :(

19-Oct-2015 07:25:09

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Here you go lbody, this a link to the FAQ from the google page I linked above. It'll explain better than I can :)

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103543?hl=en&ref_topic=6103521

19-Oct-2015 07:29:23 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2015 07:31:56 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Alright, I see there are safeguards for damaged or lost keys.. which can also be seen as workarounds for not needing the key at all (a route "hackers" and such may take). Anyways, it looks to be as safe and secure as anything possibly can be. Thanks, I really was just wondering and I missed the FAQ link, sorry.

19-Oct-2015 07:32:55

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

The only workaround is for you to know to know where I live, get into my house, and search my house until you find and identify the hard copy (one off use) of my back up. You still need to know my user name and password and names of my accounts.

That doesn't fall under the umbrella of hacking or internet security. That's a different matter altogether. It would be easier to find me in real life and assault/threaten me until I gave up the key.

Anyway I'm just saying what I like about chrome and why I like it, this is a big plus for me as I explained above :)

19-Oct-2015 07:44:55 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2015 07:46:26 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Oh, I misread then.. honestly I'm completely out of my league on this. You're 1000x (underestimating) more caught up on software and hardware than I am, lol. I just manage to get by with very little knowledge about it (:

I read under lost security key - a person would need a verification code not a hard-copy of the key. It sounds like you have that covered in other ways though? Or, I'm not reading all of the information.

I'll just take your word for it! Thank you for being so informative and helpful x)

edit: in any case.... it's way more secure than anything I have myself. I only brought it up in the first place as I was questioning its' worth vs having linkify available on browsers other than chrome.

19-Oct-2015 07:51:02 - Last edited on 19-Oct-2015 07:53:53 by Body btw

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top