Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dsctatom said :
Just curious: what are you doing with the history API?

Not using History API.
See here: http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify/manifest-json.html
"permissions": ["contextMenus", "storage", "tabs", "ht tp://services.runescape.com/m=forum*"]

^That's all the permissions Linkify requests.

contextMenus: For right click menu.

storage: For saving settings.

tabs: Simply for tabs, Linkify would be pretty useless without it.

The match for the pages linkify can run on: ht tp://services.runescape.com/m=forum*

Because I use Tabs API chrome has a generic warning, their reason is because it's possible to see tabs urls. That isn't history however chrome has put under the same warning umbrella.

You can read about it here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=429185

When I first published Linkify the warning was different, it changed some time after even though the APIs linkify requests haven't changed.

RS Linkify can not access your history as it doesn't have access to the API. Technically I could save urls from visited pages that were viewed on the forums, something I may do if I make a forum bookmark system, but again that comes under tabs not history.

Lots of developers are not happy about it because the warning is misleading, however I rather the warning be over cautious than under cautious.

29-Jul-2015 16:33:16 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2015 16:41:43 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

This post is kind of unrelated but since the subject of security/safety has come up (and I welcome it). And while I'm in no way feeling defensive, I think there are some things I should make clear.

I'm not going to lie, if I wanted to be evil I could be.

But to what end? There is no financial gain for me. I'm pretty much retired, and I don't want to sound like a jerk but the value of all Runescape accounts that use Linkify is trivial and of no benefit or interest to me.

If I wanted to be mean for the sake of it, I wouldn't do it exploiting RS accounts. There is no class or style in that, and I don't compromise those things.

I can't prove my character any more than I already have by example. And in all honesty I really cant be bothered anyway.

So if I were to turn evil, I'd rather get into your head and fully mess with you. Your account would be safe. After all if you're not playing RuneScape I can't hurt you. But again I have no motive or inclination to do that. Well not currently anyway :)

29-Jul-2015 17:13:42

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Baraxil said :
The other day I learned how to make latte art and it reminded me of you, Indy! I hope everything is wonderful :)
Well there's a someone I haven't seen for a long time!

Yep, all is well here, I hope the same goes for you too. I must say this is a pleasant surprise to see you drop in :)

I hope you post a pic of your coffee art, I'd love to see your work!

Hmmm current build of Linkify doesn't handle Linkify badges for non-members, I better do something about that, can't have you without a badge!

30-Jul-2015 14:52:11

Baraxil

Baraxil

Posts: 4,360 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Hmmm current build of Linkify doesn't handle Linkify badges for non-members, I better do something about that, can't have you without a badge!

Aww, so thoughtful as always, but please don't worry about it! You don't need to go through any trouble for me, you already do far more than enough for everyone :)

30-Jul-2015 15:12:01

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top