Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I know that some forums allow gif's for their 'profile picture' or 'avatar', is that something you've considered doing with linkify? is it even possible? Sorry if this is something that's brought up a lot, I've never seen a mention about it.

­­
Elite Pixels
, come say hi!

Élîte Pïxèls † 2.2k+ Tier 7 ­­
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

03-Mar-2015 11:17:51

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh wow the last time this subject came up was so long ago, I think it was on my original thread.

I'm assuming animated gifs, if I'm wrong then this is a long post for not much at all.

Rowley's reasoning is quite valid. These pages are heavy. File size and loading times are real issues and gifs can be resource hungry with many of them all going at once. Also I don't want mixed formats jpg, gif, png, etc (see end of post as to why).

But there is another reason. I think I'm fairly open to suggestions, and there are features that I have added, not because I like them or because I think they are good, but because others like them. It's pretty rare that I'll say I'm not doing that because I don't like it. But...

If I'm to be completely honest, I'm not doing it because I don't like it. I know many forums have them, and I think it doesn't work well. The less animations the better imo. I don't mean the content that's posted (well that too in some cases) I mean the page that houses content should be free of distraction and have good readability.

I really like avatars, custom and official ones. I'm active on other forums too, and I've come to depend on avatars, it's how I recognise a familiar contributor. But I think if they were animated it would look like a circus.

Why png and not other image formats.

As far as formats themselves go, pretty much anything can be used. I chose png for a few reasons. They have an alpha channels (variable transparency, gif doesn't), have reasonable compression and maintain good image quality. Png uses lossless encoding with direct colour (many thousands of colours compared to 256 for gifs). No one has to sacrifice image quality.

A single format is a must, the avatar codes don't need to include the format. That's a big plus. Single format means I can run all the images through the same process (I extract all pixel data and dump that into a transparent template and save it, leaving non pixel data behind). Processing is easy :)

03-Mar-2015 13:19:02 - Last edited on 03-Mar-2015 15:57:22 by Indecent Act

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Oh I see, thanks for the input you two! :) I keep forgetting how layered these forums are and all :( I don't know much about this stuff but it doesn't appear they plan on making more "room" with the re-skin either?

ah well :c thanks again :) and you made really good points. I'm not sure I would even want them if it were possible. It could get very annoying like you said with everyone on the same page using a .gif avatar. I saw a user with a gif avatar on another forum so I instantly thought about linkify :p

­­
Elite Pixels
, come say hi!

Élîte Pïxèls † 2.2k+ Tier 7 ­­
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

03-Mar-2015 20:50:52 - Last edited on 03-Mar-2015 20:59:54 by Body btw

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top