RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cont....

You are amazing!

­­­­

As for what you are or were doing with FF, I think GM is the way to go. I'm actually writing much of my code with that in mind and I think it could work out quite well.

I still can't believe how deeply you looked into the script I posted. I kind of wish I posted all the accompanying code but I was trying to keep things relevant and not be overwhelming. I should have know better, I have seen your uncanny ability to read code. If there is a next time (I hope there is) I'll make sure what I post is complete :)

Edit: I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me with.

I'm really not familiar with the ad thing in urls. This is only one I remember seeing semi frequently /a=13/.

What I got from your last post was that there are many more and I'm wondering if a regex solution would be better.

I'm thinking a simple regex, match "/a=" followed by anything until a "/" and then remove it. But I don't know if all these things begin with "a=".

So I'm wondering, in your opinion would that approach be worth doing?

26-Feb-2015 08:12:06 - Last edited on 26-Feb-2015 11:16:18 by Indecent Act

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That explains many things then. I understand not all of it was given. The XUL was still a learning experience (although I think I could do with some coffee for once), but I think it's best to release it as a stand alone when the time arrives.

As a lite version, some things are a given, but unless it's explicitly stated on what to change for a GM script (thinking about how many comments would have to be shown), I'd say hardcoded is best.

Without making this too harsh, the hardcoded defaults would be:

• General Linkify'ing
• Hard max of 25 images and 10 videos per page
• F/L/JMods posts will be colored accordingly in Forum View
• F/L/JMods quotes will have borders around them
• Highlighting will open in new tab
• 500ms delay on dropdown menus
• Post numbers #1-99999 throughout thread
• Forum Help links hardcoded (QFC might become quickly outdated)
• Save last forum post (How do you save without chrome.extension?)

I know you stated it before on a couple, but I'd skip:

• Custom Avatars (or provide them but make it clear you can't add in FF)
• Custom Posts (borders being obsolete with reskin)
• Blacklist/Whitelist (GM doesn't do well for this)
• Time Conversion (UTC master race; noting I'm in Oklahoma/Central US)
• God Mode and Mini avatars
• Custom BB Colour tags

You mentioned codes before, since using Linkify and before that from December 2012 (when I got here) to now, I've yet to see people use anything other than:
• Bump, Res, Lock, <3, and coffee. Five out of 148, the use is so small. :|

I know I faulted a few things, but it appears it was my own doing (page 700 was doing it to me for the spoilers, but probably lack of code is why).

There are advert codes from all sorts of entities. It's always a number and only up to three digits. It has always been /a=. Think of /a= as the referrer and adverts will be more targeted towards that /a=.

As always, it's been a pleasure. :)

26-Feb-2015 11:33:30

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Awesome thank you again Ryan M :)

There is so much I wanted to say but it's all mostly just thank you :)

Looks like a simple regex will cover a=.

The points you put down I agree with and have a similar train of thought, though the hard coding of help threads simply wont last long. I think I'd rather not do that, but a report template could still be provided. Need to think about this some more.

Saving/restoring last post might be do-able. GM set/get value is their local storage api (I think). In all honestly I haven't ever written a thing regarding GM. I have seen a number of GM scripts and have been able to make sense of them.

Image codes, yep that's exactly why I'm getting rid of most of them. I'm keeping the ones you mentioned and the god related ones (they have a secondary use with badges) and that's it.

I'm also killing off some options, the white list is going and you may have guessed from the script I posted that there may be a mandatory black list, that can be expanded upon.

The embed limits are changing too. I'm thinking of making image limit option apply to page only and not posts. The vid options quota will go, and will be embed them or link them. They don't auto play, they don't pre-load, so a quota is kind of silly. Some things like giphy and Gfycat will handled under images (they are vids posing as gifs).

Oh the menu, if you get a spare second, disable linkify, refresh page and paste this onto console.

$('.main-nav__item').hover(
function () {
ele = $(this).children('.main-nav__group');
ele.hide();
timeout = setTimeout(function () {ele.fadeIn(); }, 500);
},
function () {
clearTimeout(timeout);
ele.fadeOut();
}
);

The menu is instantly clickable but delayed smooth dropdowns. This is in new version btw. Oh and ignore the lack of declarations, didn't include them for this simple snippet.

char limit damn, I'll wrap by saying new linkify has similarities to your list & ty :)

26-Feb-2015 12:23:39

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Continuing on Advertisements...
You'll notice on Google there are many advertisement/advertiser referrals.
https://www.google.com/webhp#q=site:runescape.com/a

It'll be something very simple since there are never anything but numbers there and the highest I have seen was 999 or so when RS had the Instant Demo worlds.
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Instant_Demo

I believe /a=13/ is actually Jagex's own advertisement ID, but there is no way to confirm this. In the past, many /a=#/ had the logo of the company above the header like Wild Tangent and Miniclip. It's an annoyance to clear out the JXADDINFO.
http://i.imgur.com/r4clSBo.png

Not that anyone should stumble upon them, just thought the following was interesting. I recently noticed that a non-services link to the forums still works after all these years: http://forum.runescape.com/forums.ws
http://www.runescape.com/img/forum/icons/high_level.jpg Makes you think back, no? http://www.runescape.com/img/forum/icons/feedback.gif

I forgot about RIP. Considering I've seen it often I didn't think about it being a code.

Edit: You're a ninja or I'm just slow right now. That snippet is nice. :) That also reminds me that you might not have to do the fade transitioning to player avatars in the upcoming reskin based on some of Mod Allstar's latest comments.

I somehow always manage to forgo something in previous posts, but as Mod Allstar et. al. are not going to be including a refresh button on pages anymore, is that being kept or going away?

26-Feb-2015 12:24:58 - Last edited on 26-Feb-2015 12:34:27 by Ryan M

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I had completely forgotten about the old forum links, this even works...
http://forum.runescape.com/c=2IFIP8BJD78/forums.ws?261,262,33,65181208

What surprises me is they don't redirect.

And those icons, wow that takes me back!

That's quite interesting with the ad links. I'm not actually opposed to them (if I were to get them because of my browsing), but I don't like picking them up from links that someone else posted on the forums.

Edit: Yay I made a post under 2k characters :)

26-Feb-2015 12:42:07 - Last edited on 26-Feb-2015 12:43:30 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Ryan M said :
Edit: You're a ninja or I'm just slow right now. That snippet is nice. :) That also reminds me that you might not have to do the fade transitioning to player avatars in the upcoming reskin based on some of Mod Allstar's latest comments.

I somehow always manage to forgo something in previous posts, but as Mod Allstar et. al. are not going to be including a refresh button on pages anymore, is that being kept or going away?

I saw the comments on the avatar hover. I was actually surprised about that since that's how runelabs has been. It's a good thing though, it does feel unfinished as it is.

Yes, I'll definitely be keeping refresh and I'm keeping return to forum, scroll to top/bottom. If there is anything that this site needs it's help with navigation. These are things I use without thinking about it.

When I first had GA monitoring click events, those buttons I added got hit so much I had to stop sending the events to GA else I'd hit google's rate limit. If that's not a sign they are well used, then I don't know what is :)

26-Feb-2015 12:54:38

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top