Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Indy, I noticed that the post # does not appear on Jmod posts (or just this jmod post?) Is that a bug, or intended?

Original message details are unavailable.
Hi,

Don't worry - your account hasn't been accessed by another person. I have noticed some potential security concerns on your account... these are:

- You haven't got the authenticator enabled
- You haven't changed your password for a very long time

You may also want to...

- Enable two factor security on your e-mail account if you haven't already

Thanks,
Infinity

Thanks ­<3

From every angle and curve, to every entangling swerve; it's all about handling nerve
Unslain Bosses - Clan

10-Feb-2015 17:38:27

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Ryan M, there was very little interest in it, and I started having issues with ga. I got the info I needed so I stopped with it.

Also I'm changing RS Linkify to non persistent background scripts, and I think ga will mess with that.

I may look into again, I liked the stats, in the meantime I need to use what I have learned from the data.

@Rowley, yep it's indented. I recently made rs linkify not interact with jmod posts. So many issues with them that I just put em all on ignore until I can clean them up. Most of them are okay, but it only takes one to stop Linkify in its tracks.

There has been a couple of jmod posts that contain scripts that throw errors causing linkify abort (errors in the console are there without linkify running). Then there was issues with embedding recently so I just made linkify ignore them all.

It's not permanent, and I have working solution. I just haven't tailored it to this build of linkify. It was actually the main thing I built my code around in the new version (that I started a day before the re-skin news).

If the re-skin takes ages to happen I'll do something about it, if I can get away with leaving it for a week or two then I do that so I can focus more on the future.

So either way I guess it will get sorted out soon :)

10-Feb-2015 23:42:46

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I have a question, I hope someone can give me some feedback.

I'm currently writing my new routines for image embedding. It's the options I'm unsure about.

Just like it is now a max number of images to embed per post/page is one option.

Also just like now, a thumbnail duplicate images option will be there.

But I'm not sure how to handle the following scenario for the following settings...

­­
- Max images per page is set to 5.
- Thumbnail duplicates is set to on.

- A forum page contains 5 posts with same image. Followed by 3 unique images.
­­

#1. Should the first image followed by 4 thumbnails be shown, meaning the last 3 images will not be embedded?

or

#2. Should the thumbnails (and duplicates) not count toward the image tally and be shown regardless, thus allowing the last 3 images to embed?

­­­­

I'm thinking #2. Don't count duplicates of any kind toward the max image limit. Once an image is shown, it's cached and wont use any bandwidth for subsequent repeats. So it's not like it adds additional resources.

To reflect this in the options I can change the wording to 'Max number of unique images' , instead of 'max numbe of images' .

I guess what I'm asking is can anyone see any issues if I were to go with this, is there something fundamental I have missed?

I appreciate any feedback, I hope my explanation isn't too confusing :)

11-Feb-2015 06:23:07 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2015 06:40:51 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

I see, thanks for the Jmod explanation.

As for the image embedding issue:

I believe what you outline in #2 would be the way to go if I am understanding it correctly.

Duplicates should not count towards the 5 images limit, because as a Linkify user, I understand it to be 5 'unique' images already (even though I use it on unlimited, or 50, or whatever the highest is per post atm)

If I use Real Life Pictures as an example of this, people will often quote an image several times on one page, and thus with method #1, anything posted after the 5th repeat on the said page would be thumbnailed and therefore irritating.

I think it should just be 5 unique images, because that's how I interpret it already.

From every angle and curve, to every entangling swerve; it's all about handling nerve
Unslain Bosses - Clan

11-Feb-2015 09:03:33

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Thanks Rowley, and sorry about jmod posts. I was slack with informing everyone and tbh I hoped the re-skin would be here before anyone would notice.

As for the images, you got where I'm coming from perfectly. The real life pics thread is a classic example of where this applies.

I'm not even sure how the current version handles the image tally with thumbnails, but if does do it logically, it was by good fortune rather than than by design.

There will be some differences with the new image embedding, for example thumbnails will open directly into the lightbox when clicked. I have better embedding of things like gfycat (no file extensions needed). Lots and lots of new improvements with embedding all content. I'll make an exhaustive list at some time :)

I also have some new safety features, methods to detect potentially suspicious links and reject them. There will be options to loosen how strict it is, but the default will be at the highest possible.

Example image of RS Linkify rejecting bad links or links with unwise combinations of characters. Each link is rendered unclickable, and has a mouse over text description of the issue. This is just a sample to give an indication, it's by no means final.

http://i.imgur.com/rCBgW81.png

11-Feb-2015 11:02:31

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Gfycat improvements sound nice, as well as the new safety features.. Hopefully the inner core of Linkify will be a lot more smooth with everything re-written from the ground up, because nobody likes playing Jenga :p

Speaking of safety features, I want to test something, I'll edit this post after I do:

http://bit.ly/18ewuh8

Edit: Right. With the above link, if you manage to misclick the link rather than the expand option, it sends you directly to the link.

Is there a possibility we could have and option so you *cannot* click the shortened link at all until you have expanded it? I fear for people accidentally clicking the shortened link rather than misclicking expand.

Unslain Bosses - Clan

11-Feb-2015 11:26:30 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2015 11:29:54 by Hevilmystic

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I should be able to do that. It's a good idea :)

I might be able to get rid of the expand option and just make it so the first click on the shortened link expands it and makes the link clickable.

There is really no reason for the toggle back to contract.

But if you'd prefer a separate expand link I can do as you suggested and make the expand/contract also toggle enabled/disabled.

Edit: Just had a re-think about it, I think going with your original suggestion is best. There are shortened links I don't have covered and new ones coming out all the time. That would mean there is no way to differentiate between a short ink that'll expand on click and a short link that's not handled that will directly link. The only way to tell would be by clicking it.

I also see no reason to make it optional, I might just make it mandatory that the URL is exposed before it's clickable.

11-Feb-2015 11:54:50 - Last edited on 11-Feb-2015 12:01:43 by Indecent Act

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

That sounds good.

Shortened links are not really a problem in day to day browsing, but it's more of a precaution than anything. It only takes one bad apple, one day, and a lot of people could be at risk.

I don't see a need to make it optional either, in fact, my original post had a request for it to be mandatory, but I felt that sounded a little bit too much like "give me what I want!" so I changed it.

Anyway, it should be nice!

Also, in somewhat unrelated news, Imgur is becoming entirely free now, in place of an advert on each of their gallery pages and such. This means no more compressed images for free users, 50MB gifs (well, webms) and such, entirely for free. As well as unlimited image storage, as well as images staying hosted for up to 6 months without views. Hopefully their direct links aren't affected at all.

Should be a pretty nice system in place of puush if people would rather use it. Figured I'd mention it since we've discussed image hosting in the past :P

Unslain Bosses - Clan

11-Feb-2015 12:17:36

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I actually heard about imgur going totally free. Really good news, and not just because it's free, but because they can and they chose to do it.

I don't think direct links will be affected in any way.

I could have made RS Linkify embed images from indirect imgur links. But I chose not to do so. Simply for the reason that they generate revenue. If someone posts a link that way, I'm certainly not going to interfere. Also there are times when it's nice to be able to post links that don't embed, so it's kind of the best of both worlds.

Hevilmystic said :
I don't see a need to make it optional either, in fact, my original post had a request for it to be mandatory, but I felt that sounded a little bit too much like "give me what I want!" so I changed it.

I understand what you mean, but I do like to know what your (and everyone's) thoughts are. Anyway it's nice we are on the same page with this, but next time do mention it, or ask for an opinion. I have an opinion for everything and I don't mind sharing my views :)

11-Feb-2015 13:41:27

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Indecent Act said :
I could have made RS Linkify embed images from indirect imgur links. But I chose not to do so. Simply for the reason that they generate revenue. If someone posts a link that way, I'm certainly not going to interfere. Also there are times when it's nice to be able to post links that don't embed, so it's kind of the best of both worlds.

I like Imgur, the people behind it are extremely friendly and engage with the community on the website, so that's nice. I decided to pay to support rather than adverts, but I suppose I'm going to have to disable my adblock on Imgur now :p

Indecent Act said :
I understand what you mean, but I do like to know what your (and everyone's) thoughts are. Anyway it's nice we are on the same page with this, but next time do mention it, or ask for an opinion. I have an opinion for everything and I don't mind sharing my views :)

Nice to know for the future, thanks :)

­<3

And a lovely pair of cuppas :)

HTTP://i.imgur.com/lyJ0JKL.jpg

Unslain Bosses - Clan

11-Feb-2015 14:54:02

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top