Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Looking back at the change, seems as though style="max-width: 100%;" (to be placed in line 720) for the video tag was missed. The resulting issue without this is that links in posts such as these will be impossible to view due to overflow. Just making sure this is noted.

It's nice to be able to see those that would have otherwise been stretched, but the max-width is necessary to ensure that overflow does not occur. :)

03-Feb-2015 04:39:09

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks Ryan M :)

I'm not surprised there cases I hadn't covered. So many formats with so many different sizes.

I need to make a post on this thread with every possible combination of video for testing purposes. I did have a post like that on my original thread, I think I better do the same here.

Anyway I added the class for the max-width to those HTML5 formats. Update will be out in 30 min or so.

I really can't wait to get Version 4 of Linkify out. It's still far from ready but my linkify routine is so much easier to adjust/expand and read. Got to wait for this forum re-skin though.

As always, thank you for your help :)

03-Feb-2015 04:57:11

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Kitrina said :
just wondering is there a black list feature in linkify for users and how do you use it if there is

RL Idea:15506

No, but you could run a Tampermonkey script and use something like this:

$(".author:contains('Kitrina')").closest(".message").remove();

It does not handle names with spaces on the forums since it lacks the ability to handle non-breaking spaces.

Edit: Whoops.
­­­­
Edit: Indecent, I know fixing stuff might get monotonous, however just noticed that using an emoticon before a RuneLabs link will cause it to not respond to your fix.

No Emoticon:
https://secure.runescape.com/m =p layer-proposal/c=0/view-idea?idea=2

Emoticon: :)
https://secure.runescape.com/m =p layer-proposal/c=0/view-idea?idea=2
­­­­
I'm just going to say that maybe it's worth living with some things at this point or just enforce the idea that [noparse] should be used more often.

03-Feb-2015 05:41:52 - Last edited on 03-Feb-2015 05:50:50 by Ryan M

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

The black list handles both links and player names.

All that happens is Linkify will not link/embed content from anything in your black list.

Here's an example...
http://puu.sh/fph4J.png

Linkify will not embed images/vids or make links click-able if they are posted by the players called "nastyplayer" and "anothernastyplayer".

Also any links posted by anyone at all regardless of their name that begin with "h ttp://evilhackers.com" will not be clickable and images/vids from ht tp://evilhackers.com will not be embedded.

There are some rules that need to be followed for this to work 100% correctly. No empty new lines in the list. Everything must be lowercase.

Here's an example of what not to do...
http://puu.sh/fphPx.png

If you have any trouble with it, just ask and we'll get you on track :)

03-Feb-2015 05:46:57 - Last edited on 03-Feb-2015 05:47:59 by Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

It's cool Ryan M.

I'd much rather know about these things than not know.

I have good news about smileys and some not so good news. The good news I have written a way to handle smilies in every case possible. The not so good news is, it might not be going into RS Linkify for a while.

I usually handle these things on a case by case method, and that's really not good since there are so many cases.

It all comes down to har far away the forum re-skin is. Depending on that, it's likely that things like this wont make it into this version. Though at the rate I'm progressing, RS Linkify V4 could be out before the re-skin.

Here's a basic look at how I'm handling smileys once and for all.
http://puu.sh/fpiWT.js

I could integrate this right now, but I if it's not critical I'd rather focus on Version 4.

03-Feb-2015 06:05:37

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

It's not crucial currently. People can use the shorthand to link if things get hit often. Assuming everything goes smoothly on Allstar's end, I'd expect the re-skin by the end of the month. The rewrite you're doing reminds me of what Allstar posted yesterday ( #oneManDevProject :) ):

Original message details are unavailable.
I'm very much a supporter of mobile first responsive design. And were this an official project with full use of my time I would certainly like to go in that direction.

#oneManDevProject :)

Although it will be faster page loads and slightly more mobile friendly it will (sadly) not be a responsively built system.

03-Feb-2015 06:21:13

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Nice questions Blasty :)

Libraries

I'm definitely much more accepting of libraries. The size of the project is a big factor for me. Small projects not a fan of them. Larger scale stuff yes if used properly.

For me using libraries hasn't been a shortcut though. I had to know what was going on, and understand what the library is doing.

For example each(function() {}); should be done with much caution. It's very easy to adhere to the jquery syntax and do everything correctly and at the same time practically destroy your scope chain.

The thing is with some libraries you can't see what they are doing, basic mistakes are easy to make, I often see non anonymous functions declarations made in loops, where as the same developer would never dream of coding that way in vanilla js.

So in short, if you understand how your tools work, then it's crazy not to use them for the right applications.

I do like pure js, and I think in pure js and I translate that thinking into jquery, either on the fly or much later.

The code I posted was originally pretty much pure js, for the node stuff. But I since I have jquery I might as well make the most of it.

What's the new linkify like?

That's hard to say, but my attitude is if I'm going to ship a library with it, then I need to fully utilise it.

I know much more about jquery now, so that's going to help. When I first used jquery in linkify (version 3) I'd never used any jquery before.

The main things I'm looking at is using as few code branches as possible. That code I posted is a good example, has like 3 branches and linkifies, embeds, removes and replaces smilies. Normally it would be: if this, else that, else if this..&&..|| === && !== else while do... nightmare!

That's not to do with jquery though, that's just me attempting to put into practice what I know. So tighter and more modular code is the new linkify. Better code basically. Smarter and sexier. I want my code to say wow!

03-Feb-2015 09:03:31

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top