Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Amaethwr
Aug Member 2008

Amaethwr

Posts: 14,634 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
...I might be able to do more hardcore features.
How intriguing :) Hope they can take a lot off your plate so we get to see some of these (whatever they may be, I'm sure they'd be great :o )

­coffee
Selective Completionist

22-Jan-2015 22:32:45

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Amaethwr said :
How intriguing :) Hope they can take a lot off your plate so we get to see some of these (whatever they may be, I'm sure they'd be great :o

I wont go into much detail about the rebuild, I don't like to give too much away. In this case with the forums undergoing a makeover I need to be prepared for a big spanner in the works, that could change what I do.

There are a some new things I'm working on that this forum update wont really impact on.

• I have successfully got RS Linkify settings to sync with google. If you're signed into chrome, then no matter where you are, your options will be available. This will be optional so you can use different settings for different computers and not lose any of the current flexibility.

• New features, Got a few nice things but that's classified atm.

• Flexible options, many things will be split up. An example is Time & Date settings. Atm you can't choose a date format unless you have local time enabled.

• Smaller footprint, Linkify's CPU and RAM usage is very small. I'm fully aware some people are playing a 3D game in another tab and I focus strongly on making sure Linkify wont impact on that. I'm happy with this area, but I can improve it. APIs that were experimental when I first started writing Linkify are now stable. This means I can use fewer resources.

• Speed improvements. This is tricky since I need the page to load before Linkify can work on it. So everything I do must happen real fast to reduce flickering. For example message passing to get local storage and read your settings takes up to 200 ms for the round trip. That's really slow in computing, I have managed to get it down to around 20 ms.

• Re-factoring a lot of my code to reducing cyclomatic complexity. Basically I'm tying in new code together with old code, reducing the number of possible code branches.

Got so much more, and no characters left. Maybe that's not a bad thing. I've already said too much :)

23-Jan-2015 03:54:36

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indy how much do you think that forum reskin update will effect linkify? I guess you won't really know until it comes around, huh?

Well if it ends up being a whole lot more work for you I'm sorri :(

edit: *facepalm* I read up again and you sort of already answered my question :p
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

23-Jan-2015 22:35:57 - Last edited on 23-Jan-2015 22:37:39 by Body btw

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Body btw said :
Indy how much do you think that forum reskin update will effect linkify? I guess you won't really know until it comes around, huh?

Well if it ends up being a whole lot more work for you I'm sorri :(

edit: *facepalm* I read up again and you sort of already answered my question :p

I was thinking about making a list of things I'm sure will be break, but pretty much everything will be broken.

Trouble is Linkify will need to be disabled. But that means you wont know about fixes I've made. So I have a plan.

What I might do (soon) is add a new option that puts linkify to sleep.

When the forum re-skin goes live, people can choose the sleep option.

That way I can still push out updates and enable features as I get them working and the forums wont appear to be a total disaster area.

Edit:

I have posted on the forum re-skin thread asking for some info so I can detect programmatically when the new skin is live. I'm really hoping for a reply, because this would mean I could make a seamless transition to the new pages.

24-Jan-2015 02:41:18 - Last edited on 24-Jan-2015 03:18:03 by Indecent Act

Singularity
Aug Member 2023

Singularity

Posts: 97,457 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Would it be possible to make it so linkify like "marks" threads you've posted on?

Sometimes I see an old thread (that is very long) and can't remember for the life of me if I've posted on it or not - having a way to tell if you've posted on a thread would be so helpful imo.

Just a thought I had when I was viewing some old threads

24-Jan-2015 04:21:18

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Blasty said :
Assuming he's keeping things consistent, one thing you could do is look for h1.title, which is the big white title text that appears at the top of the new updated pages.

Alternatively you can look for the lack of h1.gradientText, which will hopefully be getting removed. :P

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ .:
Blasty
the Blue
:.­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­

Nice suggestions there Blastly. If I don't get a reply I'll do something like that :)

Edit:
if ( $('h3.gradientText').length; ){...}
might do it. It's on all pages.

http://i.imgur.com/6iDNseZ.png

Singularity said :
Would it be possible to make it so linkify like "marks" threads you've posted on?

Sometimes I see an old thread (that is very long) and can't remember for the life of me if I've posted on it or not - having a way to tell if you've posted on a thread would be so helpful imo.

Just a thought I had when I was viewing some old threads

I'm going to attempt it, but not before the re-skin. I want to take it further and make it that icon that marks read threads also navigates to the last page you viewed on the thread. So you can continue where you left off.

I have lots of stuff in the works regarding this kind of stuff, even a watch list that tells you thread page location (approaching page 51 monster) and tells you how many posts have been made since you last checked. Though is limited to monitoring a few threads. I'm still refining it and it will be a while before it makes into a live version.

24-Jan-2015 06:04:18 - Last edited on 24-Jan-2015 06:28:12 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top