Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Anyway I still need confirmation that problem occurs when pasting link into addressbar so I know what action to take.

If you look at my spoilered image, it appears like a regular link in the post, and when you click that link, it goes to http://cache.gyazo.com/blablabla, which has a redirect loop.

Blasty said :
Nothing going wrong for me, embedding just like any other image

It appears to only happen on certain links for a certain time period, after that, they start working as normal. Both links I pasted are now working correctly.
Unslain Bosses - Clan

01-Dec-2014 06:13:18

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Okay it's taken lots of lurking but I have seen the problem with gyazo links first hand now.

I have some good news and some bad news.

The good news (good news for me anyway) is it's not RS Linkify related.

I have tried the links in different browsers (IE, FF, Opera, Waterfox and Chrome 32 + 64bit) and the issue with Gyazo occurs in all browsers (without linkify). FF reports a similar error to chrome.

It seems Linkify's error handling is doing it what it should do, and aborts embedding once an error is thrown, so there is no risk of redirection loop occurring within the post that contains the link.

The bad news is there is nothing I can do about it. This something that needs to be resolved on the Gyazo servers.

I'm not a fan of Gyazo at the best of times, so my recommendation of not using it may be bias, but until they fix the issue it's probably not a bad recommendation.

Big thanks to Rowley and those who have posted info about these links. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to catch the issue in action, and if it weren't for Rowley's continual help I'd likely be unaware of the issue or still scratching my head wondering what's going on.

01-Dec-2014 11:51:48

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's sort of what I thought at the time, but Gyazo seems to be working fine for some people, and not fine for others, so I just assumed it was Linkify related as a large portion of the HLF community do use Linkify. But it's great news that it isn't Linkify related.

Gyazo is the devil regardless, it's unfortunate many people use it, but we'll see what happens I guess.

As always, there's no need to thank me Indy, and thanks for your help, yet again. ­<3
Unslain Bosses - Clan

01-Dec-2014 11:56:40

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

I expect it's working for some due to that fact that images are hosted on server cluster, some are serving the image and others are not. It most likely comes down to location and proximity to the nearest server.

Generally we connect to the closest server, so that would explain why the issue exists for some people and not others.

Of course this is speculation, but it stands to reason. Unless I learn otherwise that's the reason I'm going with :)

01-Dec-2014 12:01:17

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Little update: Version 3.1.6.8

I've been going back through the posts on this thread since I fell behind with many things over the last month or so.

There are still a number of things I haven't addressed yet but I'm working my though them and I will get to them.

Linkify has been a bit too keen when it comes to making hyperlinks, things like QFCs that were already linked by default were sometimes getting linkified a again. This wasn't a huge issue and didn't always happen, but when it did occur there was some unexpected behaviour. Ryan M's post pertains to that issue, and with this update it has been (hopefully) resolved :)

There has also been another issue with links, mostly when posted by Jmods. When they embed links into their posts, there was generally no problem with Linkify, unless the text in the link was a plain text URL like this . Linkify would linkify that text on top of the embedded link. The links would work, but looked messy and it was unnecessary to link it again. This has now been rectified.

Basically this update just tidies up some things relating to links and QFC's. But I'm mostly posting to let you all know that I haven't forgotten or ignored issues and suggestions. I'm way behind and I have lots more to do, but I'm working on it.

­­­­

Off Topic, but this is important for me to say this after re-reading many posts from the last few weeks.

As some of you may know my father recently passed away, and the kind words from many of you has touched my heart. I can't express how wonderful the words from you people are, it means more than you'll ever know. If I ever need cheering up, reading over this thread always puts a big smile on my face :)

Anyway I just need to say...

­­
T
h
a
n
k
Y
o
u
­­ ­<3

01-Dec-2014 15:57:07

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Another Update: Version 3.1.6.9

The forum badges aren't playing nicely since the 2015 Gold Membership badges have made their way onto the forums.

If the badges aren't aligning correctly, simply update your extensions and it should be all good :)

As for the badges and membership dates that aren't displaying, sadly that's out of my hands and there is nothing I can do about that.

01-Dec-2014 16:57:19

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
Little update: Version 3.1.6.8

I've been going back through the posts on this thread since I fell behind with many things over the last month or so.

There are still a number of things I haven't addressed yet but I'm working my though them and I will get to them.

Linkify has been a bit too keen when it comes to making hyperlinks, things like QFCs that were already linked by default were sometimes getting linkified a again. This wasn't a huge issue and didn't always happen, but when it did occur there was some unexpected behaviour. Ryan M's post pertains to that issue, and with this update it has been (hopefully) resolved :)

­­
http://puu.sh/dcXBK/deb4de3509.png
­­
Awesome. :) Also in case you wonder about the skull, I took the liberty of using your lock icon for dead links in Tampermonkey. ;)

01-Dec-2014 19:04:52

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top