Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Body btw

Body btw

Posts: 19,488 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm so I have version 3.1.3.7, but I'm still not able to see links at all :( I know you're busy fixing all this. The spoiler images you posted on the last page don't show anything it just goes to "Hide Spoiler"

Why jagex why the update :( Thanks for any help indy :)
"Why are you posting threads, asking questions and making discussion???"

All I do anymore is fish - 2017

16-Sep-2014 09:17:40

Dsctatom
Dec Member 2023

Dsctatom

Posts: 12,987 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've looked over the main code behind the Bestiary (Jagex borrowed the majority of the code) and it's all obfuscated and compressed. It's almost 1MB like that, so it'd be far more effort than it's worth to try to improve it. The stats and info shown there already exist on the page; Jagex just never displayed it to the user. I don't mind.

16-Sep-2014 09:19:40

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Body btw said :
Hmm so I have version 3.1.3.7, but I'm still not able to see links at all :( I know you're busy fixing all this. The spoiler images you posted on the last page don't show anything it just goes to "Hide Spoiler"

Why jagex why the update :( Thanks for any help indy :)

Hmm, as far as I'm aware image embedding didn't stop working after the forum update. The light box didn't work but everything else link related has been fine.

All I can suggest is try updating again, version 3.1.3.8 is live now. If that doesn't fix the issue post again and I'll step you through some simple instructions to remove and re-install RS Linkify.

­­­­

@Dsctatom, you just reminded me...

I try not to be down on the web guys who work for Jagex, but sometimes you just have to laugh. Not too long ago in the Websites and Forums section one of the web team made a post about the new page http://www.runescape.com/splash

I had to smile when I read how much they put into the page, and how awesome they thought it was. I had only just finished reading a tutorial on one size fits all web pages, making pages adjust to mobile devises and desktop computers.

The exact tutorial http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/01/15/off-canvas-navigation-for-responsive-website/ I had read was copy and pasted into their html doc. There are was (maybe still is) hidden elements in the page from the tutorial and they didn't even clean up unused bits, and scripts were still hooked onto invisible unused elements.

Literally copy/pasted and then claimed it as their own work. The forum post ended with something like, I don't even browse the forums.

Even though I smirked, I also felt bad. There are some very talented people who work for Jagex, but these pages and their comments reflect on them all. It's a bad look when it appears the tutorial they copied wasn't even understood, and the impression created was that the work was their own.

16-Sep-2014 10:00:17 - Last edited on 16-Sep-2014 13:03:45 by Indecent Act

Ryan M
May Member 2008

Ryan M

Posts: 3,095 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
There are was (maybe still is) hidden elements in the page from the tutorial and they didn't even clean up unused bits, and scripts were still hooked onto invisible unused elements.

Laziness begets laziness. Sounds like a time crunch to get a new splash page and they just looked for the easiest thing they could get ahold of.

Although looking at http://www.runescape.com/js/microsite/static-3.js seems they acknowledge where it was from as far as attribution is required from this: https://github.com/dbushell/Responsive-Off-Canvas-Menu/blob/master/README.md

On another note, they have a listing for another Web Designer. Hopefully someday one of them will wander into the forums to see what might be dated and what they could take a note from you. :) http://www.jagex.com/careers/jobs/1046

16-Sep-2014 14:31:56

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

@Ryan M,

That could be a part of the problem is the crunch time you mention. Most people are unaware of the time restrictions programmers are under.

In all honestly I use and build on code from just about anywhere, that's how I learn. I also I don't believe in reinventing the wheel for the just for sake of it. I will never just blindly copy something and use it. In fact I wont use anything I don't understand, and I wont pretend to know things that I don't know. I wont kid myself or others.

I'm not even that good with code, but I do understand what I do, and I do understand why my code works. My strengths are problem solving, and finding unique or unconventional workarounds for limitations.

I really hate being negative about anyone's coding, I'm still learning and I have been guilty of bad practises. I make mistakes, and sometimes really silly ones.

I can and do say many good things about Jagex, and tbh all I want to do is say good things about them. But sometimes things go too far, and my criticism is not to mock them. It's to say hey snap out of it, this is bad and this is why it's bad.

I hate to say it, but I've sacked people for less, and not for their mistakes, for being unprofessional.

Copy/paste leave errors, fail to understand the code you've just copied, brag on your audience's public forum about your awesome work...see ya buddy!

16-Sep-2014 15:36:14

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Hiya Morgan,

It's not that uncommon. And I'm really glad I can say Jagex have some amazing talent in many other areas.

Getting away from the web design, they blow my mind with some of things they do. Not just their games, some of the back end stuff is pretty nice.

I look at their authentication, and the fact they are constantly targeted with attacks, constantly probed for vulnerabilities.

Our personal details, our credit card details, our accounts, to my knowledge have not been compromised. They have a track record to be proud of, and it's not by luck that they have been able to do this.

For years I have posted about the many amazing things Jagex have done, that's just one and I'm glad to say there are loads more :)

16-Sep-2014 15:44:20 - Last edited on 16-Sep-2014 15:45:23 by Indecent Act

Dsctatom
Dec Member 2023

Dsctatom

Posts: 12,987 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wrote a somewhat thoughtful response about Jagex's quality. However, I'm busy at the moment so I left it unfinished and when I came back, finished it and sent: you need to log back in. Now, for me, that's been broken forever. So instead I went back, which is when I usually copy my post, log back in, and paste it. That doesn't work anymore and relogging is still broken.

So here's the short version: Jagex sucks.
Here's the slightly longer version, but not as long as before: They've fixed the online count on the forums (file went from v65 to v66). Jagex has a team for making the frontend look slightly nicer, but I don't find them capable of backend changes (hence why the forums have not really been changed at all). With the forum link and lack of forum drop down, it is apparent they don't actually browse the forums. The header wasn't a pressing matter that had to be rushed out, so the only real excuse for that is laziness. Those that handle security and transactions are probably a very different or outsourced team.

However, the teams that actually handle the game do a much better job, but are prone to some very bad mistakes themselves. Part of that must be due to the code looking like this: http://film110.pbworks.com/f/1260166790/howls%20moving%20castle.jpg

16-Sep-2014 20:05:25

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Ladyredbingo said :
Can I please get the Cadarn icon made into an avatar?

If this isn't right let me know and we'll try to get the right one :)

­­­­Ladyredbingo­­ http://www.indecentcode.com/rslinkify_images/10526.png ­­10526­­­­

­­­­

@Dsctatom,

Next time that happens try right clicking on the quick reply text area and use the Restore Last Post option.

http://puu.sh/bCbTq.jpg

Every time preview or submit is pressed, a snapshot of your post is taken, this is solely for the reason that it's a pain to lose your post when you get logged out.

17-Sep-2014 03:38:43

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top