Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
As always, thanks very much for your reply! I think I wasn't clear with my post though, so if it's alright with you I'd like to elaborate a bit.. Again I don't know what is or isn't possible, so I hope my barbaric understanding makes you laugh rather than cringe!

If I go to search threads, and search for "If Jagex wont", it returns X number of results. It doesn't matter to me if I know what pages all X threads are on, I only want to know which page the one thread is on. So when I click on the correct thread, "If Jagex wont, then I will..." , it would be nice to then have Linkify find which page that thread is on (which would only be one request, if I'm correct?)

So in a boiled down sense... "If user navigates to thread from _search results_, then click _link at top of page_ (to return to main forum page, but on the page of said thread) and lookup number at _location"

So the only page loading that would get done is clicking the last link here, HTTP://puu.sh/6swpb.jpg , and then it's just looking up a value from the page opened.

It could also be a user option to hit a button, as you thought of, so it isn't a request every time someone uses the search feature to find a thread. I can definitely understand not wanting to push Jagex's limits. I just wanted to clarify that in my hea I see it as 1 request, not multiple, and it may have come off wrong :)

Thank you again, as always!

­­­­
~~~~~Zaros will return!~~~~~
Are you prepared for his might?
­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

21-Jan-2014 04:32:30

Toastcrumbs

Toastcrumbs

Posts: 5,801 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Keighlea said :
Linkify find which page that thread is on (which would only be one request, if I'm correct?)

Not quite, because it will have to send a request to every page to search for "If Jagex won't, then I will", in order to find which page exactly it will be on.

As your idea was to the search function, it would create a large load on the system each time a Linkify user searches for thread.
Basically, this would create 50 requests (at least) for every search function and if it was to be applied to all threads in a search, that's a minimum 100 threads per search, which comes to 5000 requests. (50 requests, for each page, for each thread.)

See how it can get big very quickly?

Just reread what you wrote, and saw that you mean when you click on a thread... It's still 50 requests :P 1 for each page, searching for the thread.
Unless Linkify was to autoload the "Return to forums" button and take the page value... but I'm not sure that's possible.

21-Jan-2014 04:48:10 - Last edited on 21-Jan-2014 04:51:43 by Toastcrumbs

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Keighlea, ah I get it, I need to look into it a bit more but I think it should be do-able :)

@Blasty, okay sorry about that with the source, I'll update very soon so both the links I used point to the same source.

Also yes I agree an embed limit is needed, for a couple of reasons. Page loading for one but more importantly to eliminate excessive requests to your end.

After a little more testing I'll put a limit on embedding.

Edit: Not sure if I can post again soon (bush fire near by so I expect to lose power) so I'll post this now just in case I can't post later...

version 3.0.2.2 should be live within the hour (I've uploaded it, just waiting for google to push it out), hopefully I got the iframe src right this time :)

21-Jan-2014 05:07:09 - Last edited on 21-Jan-2014 05:17:10 by Indecent Act

Keighlea

Keighlea

Posts: 40,455 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Indecent Act said :
@Keighlea, ah I get it, I need to look into it a bit more but I think it should be do-able :)

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for your patience! :)

Edit for your edit:

Indecent Act said :
Edit: Not sure if I can post again soon (bush fire near by so I expect to lose power) so I'll post this now just in case I can't post later...

version 3.0.2.2 should be live within the hour (I've uploaded it, just waiting for google to push it out), hopefully I got the iframe src right this time :)

I hope everything works out okay :(

­­­­
~~~~~Zaros will return!~~~~~
Are you prepared for his might?
­­­­
Lady of Zaros

Proud Linkify user - Become one of the Family!

21-Jan-2014 05:13:54 - Last edited on 21-Jan-2014 05:22:24 by Keighlea

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ever since Chrome 32 update, I've been having problems with text formatting as shown below:
http://puu.sh/6sSea.png

Curiously enough, if I click anywhere on the browser window, formatting is fixed.

See?
http://puu.sh/6sSi5.png

21-Jan-2014 14:43:17 - Last edited on 21-Jan-2014 14:43:26 by Morgan

Blasty
Feb Member 2017

Blasty

Posts: 9,319 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
^ I'm noticing that too.

Indecent Act said :
@Blasty, okay sorry about that with the source, I'll update very soon so both the links I used point to the same source.Also yes I agree an embed limit is needed, for a couple of reasons. Page loading for one but more importantly to eliminate excessive requests to your end.After a little more testing I'll put a limit on embedding.

No worries! I'm interested in seeing what the limitations are for free usage of appspot. I got a bit of an idea with those extra requests how many requests it might take to reach the instance hours limit. It looks absolutely fine for now, and I'm glad it all works as smoothly as way I hoped :)

Indecent Act said :
Not sure if I can post again soon (bush fire near by so I expect to lose power) so I'll post this now just in case I can't post later...

:O That doesn't sound good S: I've seen in the news recently that bush fires can pretty much take entire houses down. Living right by the sea, I've never had any experience with them. I hope it's nothing serious

i

­­
­­<
Blasty
the Blue
>­­
­­
Blasty
// @BlastytheBlue // Blasty#5167
| Co-owner of Mine Nation

21-Jan-2014 15:57:43

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top