Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lil Indecent said :
I haven't seen that before with the clan name, though chances are this is nothing new, just took a while for someone to notice.

The information comes from runescape. It's returned from their website-data API. That's what this website uses as does RS Linkify. So it would seem the data it reads from has not been updated. I checked on the clan pages are you are not listed as a clan member. I can only assume there must be more than one pool of data and the data the forums can access is out of date.

This might just be a coincidence, but the data being out of date could be linked to this issue a while back when forum avatars would stop updating after taking a photo at the in-game booth. I re-checked for a more precise date when I left my clan, and it was around 25th of January, so a little over 2 months ago now; if the OP in that thread spoke truthfully, that the photo issue also began around that time, then there could be a connection, because even though the photo issue was allegedly "fixed" according to Mod Lyon, as you can see from that thread (and the follow-up thread), it has kept breaking again and again, and so possibly they might have applied something to make the forum avatar updating work temporarily without truly fixing the issue behind it ceasing to work in the first place.

Although, Lyon does also say that it's not the web team's problem to fix, but maybe the "relevant" team is also meant to provide the web team with this data too, and they simply haven't noticed this issue, if it's not as visible as the forum avatar issue? I could just be overthinking this though, but hopefully my speculations are at least mildly interesting, even if they're wrong. > )
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

29-Mar-2018 06:24:33 - Last edited on 29-Mar-2018 06:38:31 by Sharp-shin

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lil Indecent said :
Here's an example link to show the data that RS Linkify reads...
http://services.runescape.com/m=website-data/playerDetails.ws?names=%5B%22blackwing%22%5D&callback=jQuery000000000000000_0000000000&_=0
Why is that URL so ugly?

01-Apr-2018 00:16:07

Loki
Sep Member 2011

Loki

Posts: 65,226 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Looking through old screenies and found this nice Linkify easter egg from a few years ago.. <3

• »‡« •
Adam
• »‡« •

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

01-Apr-2018 03:31:56

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Posts: 447 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Blackwing, thanks for the extra info. May not be just a coincidence that the two issues appeared around the same time. Often one change often impacts something else. I'm happy to remove the feature altogether if I cant find an alternative. No point in displaying incorrect data.

Morgan said :
Why is that URL so ugly?

That's just a dirty way to handle the callback without ajax. The way I do it in RS Linkify is like this...
[code] $.ajax({ url:"http://services.runescape.com/m=website-data/playerDetails.ws?names=['Morgan']", dataType: "jsonp" }); [/code]

@Loki, that was so much fun :)

04-Apr-2018 00:24:34

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Morgan said :
I see, but that's giving me 404 error :(

Indsy callbacks. My Javascripts aren't warm for nothing!

Aww sorry Morgypie. That's my bad, the url parameters are meant to form an object on the server, so you can pass an array to it. I kind of left that bit out because I'm totally rusty and out of practice. Below I escaped the quotes so it works and everything is visible in the query. In Linkify I do it a little different and stringify an array made up of all the names on the page.

[code] $.ajax({ url: "http://services.runescape.com/m=website-data/playerDetails.ws?names=[\"Lil Indecent\", \"Morgan\", \"Blackwing\"]", dataType: "jsonp", success: function (response) { console.log(response[0]); console.log(response[1]); console.log(response[2]); } }); [/code]

This should work if it runs in the scope of a forum page, so just [ CTRL+ shift + I ) open the console from here and go for it :)

Edit: If it still doesn't work, try adding your session id to the URL like...
ht tp://services.runescape.com/m=website-data
/c=L84AD8
/playerDetails......

-------------------------------------------

In other news...

It looks like Blackwing's clan data has updated, yay :)

08-Apr-2018 05:34:51 - Last edited on 08-Apr-2018 08:01:14 by Lil Indecent

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It worked, Indsy. As always, those callbacks are delicious.
They say if you run this down in the dev console, you'll get coffee for life.

[code]setTimeout(function () { console.log("These"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("are"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("yummy"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("callbacks"); }, 250); }, 500) }, 1000); }, 1500);[/code]

You still on Twitter? Would love to talk with you more.

09-Apr-2018 00:02:19

Lil Indecent

Lil Indecent

Morgan said :
It worked, Indsy. As always, those callbacks are delicious.
They say if you run this down in the dev console, you'll get coffee for life.

[code]setTimeout(function () { console.log("These"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("are"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("yummy"); setTimeout(function () { console.log("callbacks"); }, 250); }, 500) }, 1000); }, 1500);[/code]

You still on Twitter? Would love to talk with you more.

Yep I still have twitter, I might be a lil slow to reply because I only check twitter once or twice a week. Though now I have coffee for life I might be a bit faster to reply :)

09-Apr-2018 07:01:21

Sharp-shin

Sharp-shin

Posts: 41,301 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah, nice to see that the data finally updated!

With it out of the way, can I ask for a custom ava and title change please?

Ava like so:

https://i.imgur.com/lrqiQI6.png

(I already did the circly effect thing to see how it would look like as a circle, I hope it doesn't matter; the black background shouldn't appear in the avatar.)

And title like so:

Blackwing
Blizzard the Far North

(Or if it's too long so that it'd go into a second line, could just remove "far" and the extra space; that'd put it back under 20 characters which I reckon does fit into one line at least.)

Cheers! > )
"Volat Accipiter libera est; venandi sua natura est."
~Accipiter striatus

11-Apr-2018 23:10:01

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top