Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hiya Blasty,

that's cool with the polls. I got excited too. Really like that you're sharing what you do with us :)

That free domain and ssl is an awesome deal. I didn't even think how it go for production websites though. Really good to be able to play around with all that though :)

I know node.js is server side, that's about all I know about it tbh. I guess because I have a server and I can install what I want on it, makes me feel I should at least have a look at it. However at the same time php is awesome and does all I need it to do.

It's better for me to understand (or try to understand) a server side language. That way I have a client side and server side language to build stuff with. Php and sql on the back end, JavaScript on the client. So far the only limits are my imagination.

As for working on new projects, nothing hugely interesting on the code side of things, but the end results from what I'm doing may be interesting. More about that later :)

Started looking into the Ecmascript 6 specification, some cool stuff there. I'd really like to move RS Linkify's code over to that. Chrome seems to have good support, but it could make any future porting of my code really hard. I really like the scoping with let . So I might start with the well supported (easy) stuff like that :)

Wow, I babbled on more than I though I would. Anyway time for a little RuneScape, keep up the awesome work Blastly and ty again for all that you share :)

04-May-2016 04:08:31

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Body btw said :
Fair enough Indy and Nelson, I guess that's true :( Although, rather than turning them off, I'd think you should have to turn them on as they would be defaulted off.

Hiya Bodyy :)

The only viable solution I can see would be to make them only viewable to the user, not to everyone. Similar to how custom background colours work. But that's not something I'm looking into. Besides it wouldn't play nicely with custom backgrounds for clans and friends, jmods and such.

It breaks other features, as I said before there are number of issues. It's not just setting a background and be done with it.

04-May-2016 04:43:10

AoDude

AoDude

Posts: 1,694 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Can confirm my node.js project is running on a personal windows server. Although, there is no reason why my particular project would have to be on a server since it listens and reacts to a 3rd party.

Didn't know node.js before, just saw it in a list of api libraries and it looked like the easiest to setup/write for... And to be fair, outside of that library, I am not sure what I really could use node.js for.
AO
Deputy-Owner :
The Nexus CC

04-May-2016 14:47:28

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So... this happened to me today:
-Get home from school, use PC as usual, although I noticed it took me like 3 attempts to get my Windows user password right.
-Decide to nap. Lock my PC out of habit like I always do.
-Wake up from nap. I can't seem to access my Windows 7 account even though I made sure I typed my password correctly like 7 times.
-Insert Windows 7 installation disk in order to access recovery options (CMD).
-DVD reader making weird noises when booting up, ends up not reading my bootable Windows disk.
-Without Windows 7 installation disk, I lost access to recovery options (this would've been so easy to fix using some CMD commands I googled).

This is where the fun begins:
- I commit the silly mistake of unplugging my SSD and going to my friend's PC and plugging it in in order to attempt to fix some things in system32 folder.
- Her computer must've messed up with the booting partition in my disk because when I plugged it back in my PC, Windows wouldn't boot.
- Oh fun! (And no access to Windows DVD recovery because my stupid reader decided to be stop working)

I've downloaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 and now I'm creating a bootable USB stick, praying it works so I can access recovery features on my main PC.

I'm so puzzled as to how my admin account's password got corrupted in the first place. I spoke with my friend and she told me that they cut the power today for 15 mins to fix some stuff, and I tend to leave my PC on when I leave to school, so I suspect that power cut messed up with my Windows admin account as well as with my DVD reader.

*sighs*

Crappy day.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Let's hope this USB stick works.

I just think it's funny how everything unfolded. How it went from minor issue to grand. Such unfortunate chain of events and back luck.

05-May-2016 00:55:51

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

AoDude said :
Can confirm my node.js project is running on a personal windows server. Although, there is no reason why my particular project would have to be on a server since it listens and reacts to a 3rd party.

Didn't know node.js before, just saw it in a list of api libraries and it looked like the easiest to setup/write for... And to be fair, outside of that library, I am not sure what I really could use node.js for.

Your application is well suited for node. Should the day come when I find php can't do something that node can do, node will be the first thing I check out.

I do like the idea of a server side js platform. I did some reading on node's strengths and it has lots of strengths tbh.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5062614/how-to-decide-when-to-use-node-js

05-May-2016 02:48:12

Morgan

Morgan

Posts: 36,054 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hey Indsy :) Thank you for keeping your fingers crossed for me. I managed to fix it :D

The usb wasn't booting up at first, I tried it on my friend's pc and it wasn't booting up either, so I figured it must've been corrupted, so I used another software to create a bootable usb stick and I waited and that software did it well.

I managed to boot up into Windows recovery and I used startup repair, that didn't work, so then I googled and used a cmd command to rebuild the bootrec thingy and it worked :D
And yea then once I could log in, I used a cmd command to change my user password
and I managed to get back in :)

p.s: Although I don't know what happened with my DVD reader. I don't use it much, but I don't know, it's not working. Oh well :P Again, I don't mind the DVD reader not working since I don't ever use it.

05-May-2016 03:00:05 - Last edited on 05-May-2016 03:04:12 by Morgan

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top