Forums

RS-Linkify Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Posts: 7,456 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Blasty,
I'm happy to give it a go :)

Also in pretty much all cases (without strict authentication) voting can be manipulated. And even with strict authentication, people can still create multiple accounts and vote several times.

Keep in mind, if multiple votes requires effort (deleting cookies, local storage, etc), then you have instantly reduced the occurrence of multiple votes significantly.

01-Sep-2013 23:11:44 - Last edited on 25-Mar-2015 03:11:52 by Indecent Act

Fairytales
Nov Member 2019

Fairytales

Posts: 7,345 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Maybe for the polling idea you could use a feature much like I suggested for highlighting posts with your name in it. Basically detect certain strings of text within posts.

This way when you did a poll, in the poll it would tell you to copy and paste a certain 'code' perhaps just like B3GLM, just a pretty random string, which obviously wouldn't just be typed in a regular post.

Then the thread could be checked and tally up all the counts of that string of characters.

So a poll say...
What is your favourite car?
1. Ford - A3GLM
2. Porsche - B3GLM
3. Ferrari - C3GLM

then you copy the code into your post to vote.

Obviously the problem still arises that people can vote multiple times, but it would be very apparent when someone does so.

Just sort of trying to come up with any idea. New to this sorta thing so no idea what can actually be done.

01-Sep-2013 23:12:48 - Last edited on 01-Sep-2013 23:15:01 by Fairytales

Hevilmystic
Feb Member 2022

Hevilmystic

Posts: 60,012 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Original message details are unavailable.
Okay I've been trying to think of a suggestion, think this one would be pretty nice.

How about different back/border option for a post which includes your name.
So when someone posts something that includes your display name, it will show up with say a blue background, so you can instantly see the post includes something about you.

Think that would be pretty neat :)

That's do-able and is a nice idea. It would also include posts that had quoted you too, since your name is in the quote.

Basically a highlight for posts that have quoted you, or that contain your name...

I've added this to my to-do list :)

Personally I have my own posts with a gold border:

http://i.imgur.com/UatrKcS.png

Would be nice if quotes from you would follow your Linkify settings for your own posts, friend/clan quotes would follow the same settings too :)

beep beep boop
Unslain Bosses - Clan

01-Sep-2013 23:14:29 - Last edited on 18-Jul-2014 17:58:16 by Hevilmystic

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

@Rowley, Kieren post isn't relating to your own custom posts. Basically this post contains your name. So to you and only you this post could appear highlighted using a colour of your choice. Just a way to make post that mention you stand out a little.

Your custom posts for yourself would be unaffected.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, just I get the impression you may think it was about posts from yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the background colours with quoting goes. I have tried, but I have some huge limitations. The thing is there is no background colour at all. All post backgrounds are images. The way I do the custom colours is actually cheating. I replace the image with a transparent gif, then place an empty element behind it, then I change the background colour of the element.

Example: Jmod posts use a gold image, fmod posts use a green one, we use grey image. There is actually no colour change taking place at all.

When quoting quotes, the colours appear to be faded, to distinguish the quotes within quotes. All I'm doing is changing the opacity of the element. This means the one image is used throughout all the nested quotes. Doing it with seperate colours would mean I need an image for every possible colour since changing the background of an opaque image does nothing. It would mean nesting many images too.

Also since transparency is used within nested quoting, if I were to throw a different colour into the mix, it would actually do exactly that....mix the colours. Blue post for clan + red post friends in nested quotes would produce purple due to the fact they overlap and none have 100% opacity.

It's opening a huge can worms tbh. I have played with it alot and I'm heavily restricted by the structure of the pages. It took me ages just to get nested quotes to look half decent.

01-Sep-2013 23:51:20 - Last edited on 25-Mar-2015 06:27:56 by Indecent Act

Fairytales
Nov Member 2019

Fairytales

Posts: 7,345 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ah that sucks, I guess the only thing you could do is an outline? Much like we have the gold outline in this thread.

Also check out my post above about the polls, just incase you didn't see :)

01-Sep-2013 23:55:04 - Last edited on 01-Sep-2013 23:55:39 by Fairytales

Indecent Act

Indecent Act

Would it be possible to make an option to like/dislike posts? Just an idea... it probably isn't or you'd have already implemented it, I guess :p

I've been asked about this before. There are a few issues. All RS Linkify users are anonymous, so I have no way of knowing if people like once or 1000 times.

But there are other issues too. It depends on what you want to like. Likes for threads and or likes for posts both have different pros and cons. All the data has to be stored somewhere, users local storage is out of question (holding every like/dislike for every thread and perhaps every post is just too much). An external server isn't practical because again I can't authenticate users. That leaves storing the data in posts. The problem then is many automated page requests to tally the data.

It's really easy to do, if you have access to the server that's hosting the pages. But I have access to browser (with huge limitations) and nothing more. Sadly it's not something I can do properly.

02-Sep-2013 00:07:09 - Last edited on 25-Mar-2015 06:28:29 by Indecent Act

Quick find code: 261-262-33-65181208 Back to Top