Forums

My "I got scammed" story

Quick find code: 259-260-877-66122184

Peltarius

Peltarius

Posts: 71 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Just a community alert about a scammer - I won't name them here because apparently JAGEX appears to be more concerned about slander and defamation than they are players spreading community awareness about a genuine scammer than hasn't been banned even though reports have been made regarding their activities.

Anyway, I have encountered this player on two different occasions (different accounts) and they have used the same method both times. First, they ask you to buy Frost Dragon Bones from the Grand Exchange (GE) at the buy limit (10K), either at mid-price or perhaps at +5% mid-price. They buy them off you, giving you some profit (1-2M) in return. Next, they ask you to add them as a friend so the chat goes private and is not visible to the public. In private chat, they ask you buy two Staff of Sliiske - these wont buy at mid and they don't ask you to up the price. They ask you to do this to test how much cash you have. Next, they move to another buyable item (1K x Super Attack (3)) but at a price somewhat-over mid-price (e.g. mid is 3.2k, they ask you to buy them at 4.8k). If you do this, they will buy them off you, and as a reward, you will get an even bigger profit margin (~5M). This profit making is aimed at building up your confidence in them, that they will continue to buy what you have bought for them, and doing this will earn you extra millions per exchange. This process continues for 2-3 more request, building up to a point where some quite ridiculous requests are made, like buying 1k Perfect Juju Dungeoneering potions (2) at 468K each. These potions wont buy at a lower price because they have obvious bought-out any that were for sale on the GE, and they have posted those potions on the GE at the super-high price on the GE themself. If you go through with this purchase however, they will only buy at the ridiculously high price, at which point they will log out, leaving you with something reasonably worthless and out of pocket by a massive amount of cash.

23-Sep-2019 17:54:18

Peltarius

Peltarius

Although the above incident was reported (when the scam was successful and I lost 1.2B), no action was taken by Jagex in the period between then and when this person tried to do it again 2 weeks later (unknowingly, to the same person, on a different account). My concern is that when posting Reports of Scamming, the report only shows the "last 60 seconds" of chat. That is simply not enough time to view the whole scam, which is essential if Jagex is to make an informed decision regarding the scammer's actions. Without comprehensive information, Jagex must fall back to a position where the benefit of the doubt goes to a scammer... A great recipe for making legitimate, helpful players want to quit.

I think Jagex has an obligation to improve the reporting system. Jagex has actively encouraged a "community" type mentality over many years, with Citadels, Clans, Bosses that can only be tackled in groups, and the like. Jagex has encouraged helpfulness. And although this philosophy does have it's good points, it is a fantastic environment for scammers to operate within.

Years ago, I lost a Elysian Shield (worth 560M+ at the time) to a "friend" who I'd known for over 2 years. This item was traded for nothing because at the time, that item couldn't be lent/borrowed. They earn your trust and then punish you for an act of kindness or helpfulness.

The only way Jagex can combat these negative aspect to their philosophy of fostering a community environment is to improve the Reporting System so that Scam claims can be properly investigated, and the scammers permanently banned (not just the account, but the linked credit card, etc.).

The best policy may be - just don't help anybody...

23-Sep-2019 18:13:45

Cyanid
Jan Member 2006

Cyanid

Posts: 24,133 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I really don't like buying items for people in the GE. I dunno dude you should of known something was up because they're asking you to buy random items. Alarm bells would be going off in my head if he was telling me to buy him a Staff of Sliske.

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘
‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’
°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

24-Sep-2019 01:19:31

Performs
Jun Member 2012

Performs

Posts: 13,531 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Cyanid said :
I really don't like buying items for people in the GE. I dunno dude you should of known something was up because they're asking you to buy random items. Alarm bells would be going off in my head if he was telling me to buy him a Staff of Sliske.

¸¬°™°¬¸
With
¸¬°™°¬¸
Closed Eyes
¸¬°™°¬¸
I §ee
¸¬°™°¬¸
’¸·ˆ·¸
¶¶
`»—«’
¶right¶
`•
†hrøugh
•’
¶¥øu¶
`»—«’
¶¶
¸·ˆ·¸‘
‘•»¸¸«¤°˜¯‘•¸
¶¶¶¶¶
`
¤•¤
¶¶¶¶¶
¸•’¯˜°¤»¸¸«•’
°¬_¸–’
’¸¤·¤¸‘
‘–¸_¬°

ye pretty much this, but also you just have to know the items most people are good for it but if they are asking you to go super over its obviously a scam. my tactic when they say go over is ask for their cash up front most times if they need it they will or they don't and you don't run the risk then.
Defy Limits Pvm
Do not Limit your pvm challenges, defy your limits apply today!

Owner of Defy Limits

#StudForever
Infernal Fc

24-Sep-2019 04:21:22

Peltarius

Peltarius

Hi guys, thanks for replying. Yep, I know I was silly for falling for it. My only excuses are that I haven't played for a while so I wasn't very aware of the value and importance of new items I wasn't yet familiar with, and it just happened to occur when I was tired and about to log out, so I was keen to get it over and done with. It was the perfect storm really.

The second time he approached me and started making the more ridiculous requests, I did ask for the cash up front, and at that point, the person did back-off and log-out, realising it wasn't going to work for them on this occasion. At least I'd gotten a few measely mil back off him by that stage.

Just keep in mind I didn't make this post to point out to anybody reading it what an idiot I was that day (trust me, I was kicking myself for days afterwards!) - this post is aimed at just letting people know this person's scam ploy and to watch out for it, and the short-comings of Jagex's Abuse Reporting system in the hope that they maybe someday do something about it.

24-Sep-2019 10:10:19

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello Peltarius.

You said you reported in game which is good as Jagex can see what went on. But you still have other options.

You can send Jagex and E-Mail to:- [email protected]

Explain what went on and say you reported in game (Jagex can check and link the report) and there you can name and shame them etc. Give Jagex as much detail as you can and with luck they will end up banned for scamming.

Good luck with this.

Sad to see though this scam still goes on in game. I was caught out with this scam many years ago but didn't lose as much as you. I was pissed for days just as you were.
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

24-Sep-2019 10:19:35

UtaChao

UtaChao

Posts: 1,702 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
H Rassy said :
Years ago, I lost a Elysian Shield (worth 560M+ at the time) to a "friend" who I'd known for over 2 years.

This part of the story sounds strangly familiar..

Same here, I had irl 'friends' when I was a kid who used to hack my account and drain it of what little I had. People are duplicitous but age has made it easier to notice the signs. Hope you learn from your mistake.
Ironman: Autark

24-Sep-2019 15:06:29

Quick find code: 259-260-877-66122184 Back to Top