Forums

Mod Mark Q&A Questions Thread is locked

Quick find code: 254-255-84-62748135

Mod Crow

Mod Crow

Jagex Moderator Forum Profile Posts by user
Dungeoneering Questions
Dungeoneering Questions For Mod Mark

It's Dungeoneering week! Dungeoneering is the latest skill introduced to RuneScape and provides hours of entertainment for groups and individuals alike. Every step into the darkened dusty halls of Daemonheim reveals new challenges, glimpses of past secrets and the ever increasing danger of the Heimcrab uprising the bosses that lie within.
No doubt you have many questions you've always wanted to ask about this epic skill and who better to answer them then RuneScape's very own Mod Mark, head designer for RuneScape! Today Mod Mark will be answering the Dungeoneering questions you pose to him and to help we've provided this thread for you to put your questions forward. Mod Mark will look through your queries and give his answers on our special Answers thread.
Don't forget that we've got a whole week of skilling workshops brought to you by the Dungeoneering experts and this weekend we'll be celebrating Dungeoneering by helping you organise Dungeoneering groups. You can read all the details in our Dungeering Week Thread .

04-May-2011 16:22:18 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 17:11:20 by Mod Crow

Dark Poniard
Apr Member 2023

Dark Poniard

Posts: 298 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
are there going to be other dungeons like demonheim in the future, like other sets of floors and bosses? and do you plan on adding more equipment, like armour to the rewards section?
I often have connection issues so i tend to solo dung, to be considerate to other players that want 5:5 so if i disconnect it doesnt mess their game up. but the experience is so horrible :( will this be fixed?
Solo dungeoneering a runebound bohemoth is quite hard, alot easier in teams. will this be helped at all?
the boss monsters' lvls for solo dung do not compare to outside the dungeon, or even monsters in the same dungeon, they should be higher than what is displayed, like lexicus and runebound.
First post for the win!
you guys have done an amazing job with this update, my favorite update since 2001... and the new capes are pretty cool too, keep it up!

04-May-2011 16:28:12 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:40:55 by Dark Poniard

Dakkhyl

Dakkhyl

Posts: 1,333 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hello Mod Mark and thank you for reserving some time to answer the questions :)
1) (This has propably been on EVERYONE'S mind) Why is ranged so weak in DG apart from the Hexhunter? Saggitarian arrows are
weaker than rune arrows.
2) Will we ever get more bind slots? If yes, will they come from quests?
3) Will we ever get a task list for Daemonheim?
4) When will we see the 'finale' for the daemonheim story?
5) Currently the rewards, apart from capes and certain binds, stop at level 90. Will there be more rewards or resource
dungeons for the 90+ levels?
6) Will the ammo binds ever increase from 125?
7) If a server crashes and players are dungeoneering the players lose their binds. Why does the bindings' code let this
happen and will it ever be fixed?
8) After 70+ agility the players' run energy barely decreases when rushing a large floor. Are there plans to involve
agility more in Daemonheim other than just puzzles? You did this with construction.
9) Last but not least, solo dungeoneering. I personally like to team larges in the 100+ worlds but will the solo exp ever
be increased?

04-May-2011 16:29:54

Moe Is 4210

Moe Is 4210

Posts: 31,106 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Don't have many questions, but they're mainly highlight questions I'm sure many people will ask, so please answer them if you can. :P
a) Has Bilrach conflicted with the lore of ROTM? Meaning... Are we waiting on the Dungeoneering series to end before we see ROTM?
b) Will Dungeoneering experience be improved for solo players? Not everyone likes to train as a group, I'm sure you'd know.
c) The XP cap for F2P players severely limits players to train dungeoneering and really puts a really weird fix to an issue that could potentially be solved another way. Are there any changes to the F2P cap?
d) How come you don't post on the forums often? You used to post lots - and to be honest, people would be a lot happier with Jagex if you posted, mainly because what you say in your clan chat is often times what players agree with, but not many players see what you say and thus assume you're ignoring them. When you do post, it comes out too corporate and is pretty much against what you may have said 5 minutes ago in your chat.
Sorry about the rant, I'm just curious. I know you're very busy (lead designer and all! :O ) but yeah...
PS. We need content QA's, Crow. :P

04-May-2011 16:29:58 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:44:31 by Moe Is 4210

Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

Posts: 1,766 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
A thousand greetings, fleshbag!
I come before you will an array of inquiries garnered from the peeps over in Dungeoneering Feedback, many of whom won't be able to attend this Q/A. Please note that a lot of these questions pertain to issues that have persisted since DG's release, so some serious answers would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have boxes asks:
~Can you improve the ammo binding system to help make Magic and Ranged as accessible as melee in the dungeons?

Bruinthor asks:
~Can you please make slayer drops available to the slayers that have earned the level needed to attain them, and actually make the kill, before they are available to the rest of the party?
~When will you finally resolve the disproportionately lower xp available to those that, by choice or necessity, choose to train dungeoneering alone or in smaller groups than 5 people?

Mouse31 asks:
~When will you fix solo xp rates? I've heard you're planning to, but I'd like to know when.

I Kinda Fail asks:
~Will we see more rewards? I currently have 300k tokens right now, and none seem even remotely useful.
~Why can't we use the scrolls inside Daemonheim? Scroll of Life would help with the expensive seeds, Wasteless Herblore would help with the slow potion making, and Wasteless Smithing would be a great add-on to the Artisan's ring.
~Right now, teams that skip every resource, leave every monster alive, let themselves die and don't even pay attention to the dungeon are able to get 3 times more experience than normal teams, who are able to get 7 times more experience than soloers. Why is this?
~Will we ever see things like the Prayer/Magic necklaces inside Daemonheim? Sometimes altars are never found, and magic damage would be a nice boost inside.
~Currently, it is not possible to wear a full set of T11 armor. Will we ever be able to get every slot used? Currently, we can only equip up to 5 of the 7 T11 armor pieces.

continued...

04-May-2011 16:30:21 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:45:28 by Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

...continued from previous post.

greenb asks:
~Currently, players without the necessary slayer level to kill a slayer monster can "snipe" their rare drops from the players who do have the slayer level. Any possible fixes for this?
~Given how slayer item binds are very hard to replace in the event of a server crash, would you consider increasing the spawn frequency of certain rarer slayer monsters?
*What's the deal with solo xp rates? They're super low compared to groups, and this feels like something that needs to be fixed.
~There's rumor that you guys are working on a way to save players from losing binds in the event of a server crash. Is this true?
~Many players have abused glitches to unfairly gain huge amounts of DG xp. Will they ever be punished?
~Could we see a very high level DG world? (Ie, 2000+)?
~Will we ever be able to gain more bind slots via stuff like quests and tasks?

Belisima Jay asks:
~Dear Jagex,
Please can you make it easier / less time consuming to drop gathered resources.
How about making the tables work in a similar way to stealing creation?
Or, if that's too difficult, how about creating a "drop all" option in the inventory?
I look forward to seeing a reduction to this most repetitive part of dungeonneering.
Thanks

Anglo-Saxon asks:
*What's up with the finale? As in, how close is its release, etc?

Some stuff from me:
~Unless the player is using a Hexhunter bow (a rare item from a rare, high level Slayer monster), Ranged simply does not deal enough damage - there is almost never any practical benefit to having a high level Ranger over a Meleer except vs the few enemies which forcibly negate melee attacks (ie, Necrolord). Again, Hexhunter is the exception, but Ranged should not be balanced around one exceptionally rare item. What are you thoughts on this matter?

continued...

04-May-2011 16:30:30 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:31:23 by Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

...continued from previous post.
~Runecrafting and runes severely inhibit the usability of Magic, mandating high RCing levels within the party and requiring the consumption of significant inventory space on the Mage's part, among other things. This is a shame, 'cause Magic is super fun to use and offers a lot of utility.
On that note: would it be possible to switch over to a catalytic/elemental rune system, like the kind used in Stealing Creation? This would dramatically improve the accessibility of Magic while still maintaining some value in a high RC level.
~Right now, a lot of boss loot (gloves, boots, etc) and slayer drops (blood neck, wards, etc) kinda go to waste, since players must restrict their long term binds to only the most useful of items. Any possible fixes for this?
~Rangers have been requesting an Ava's device for use within Daemonhiem for some time. A few have suggested placing the device's effect on the Ring of Kinship. Is something like this possible?
~Would it be possible for members of DG's development team to occasionally drop by Dungeoneering Feedback to comment on/discuss player feedback? I know you guys say you read through it, but the utter lack of Jmod presence makes it feel like that forum's been rather shunned. Plus, dev commentary really helps drive constructive material.
~Is it possible I'm using the word "possible" too much?
~What drove the decision to have dungeons generated on a room-by-room basis from select rooms, rather than randomly generated as entire open environments (Diablo style)?

S-Dragonfly asks:
~The Shadowsilk Hood is responsible for a lot of the emergent rush gameplay with players often ignoring many the features of the Dungeoneering skill because they can avoid the need to fight and skill by hiding under this item. Would you have reconsidered adding it to the game if you'd forseen it's widespread use as a rushing tool?

continued...

04-May-2011 16:30:44 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:33:26 by Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

Noble Bunny

...continued from previous post

inedible asks:
~1) Dungeoneering was meant to incorporate all skills, with players using their skills to supply the party with necessary potions, food and armor to get through the dungeon. It was a brilliant concept, but as we both know, it just didn't work out, and Jagex is to blame for that, not the players.
Complexity levels 1-5 were made for players that wish to neglect their skills in a dungeon. Why, then, is it so easily being done in complexity 6? With shadow silk hoods, overly-generous altars and simple bosses that require little preparation (even on warped floors), it's certainly not challenging to do. Players have turned to doing the bare minimum skilling in a dungeon for greater experience gain.
How do you feel about this? Do you wish the original plan for dungeoneering would have worked out a bit better? If so, you're certainly not alone. Have you ever considered, for example, releasing an (obviously optional) complexity 7 that places more emphasis on the skilling aspects of dungeoneering, rather than just leaving your original plan as an optional, slower, stupid way to train?

Wew. Yea, that's a TON of questions, but, again, it would be incredibly appreciated if you took the time to read them over and dish out some answers.
Thanks for taking the time for this Q/A, Mark!

04-May-2011 16:32:49 - Last edited on 04-May-2011 16:34:52 by Noble Bunny

The contents of this message have been hidden.

04-May-2011 16:33:57

Quick find code: 254-255-84-62748135 Back to Top