Forums

Betrayal at Falador - reviews Thread is locked

Quick find code: 254-255-35-61865390

Superjak45
Apr Member 2011

Superjak45

Posts: 2,312 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I read the first chapter online, and I must admit that it looks absolutely fantastic.
@ Mod John H: Do you know if there's any chance that Betrayal at Falador and its sequels will be coming out in New Zealand bookstores (Paper Plus, Whitcoulls, Borders, just to name three)? I can't exactly afford to get it online at the moment (credit probs), and I'd love to read the rest of it...
"It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which, more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome' - William James.

06-Nov-2010 11:09:04

1tk1

1tk1

Posts: 1,350 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
[Do NOT read the following review if you are afraid of small hints that might be considered spoilers. While I do not give away much of the actual plot, I acknowledge some of the aspects of the book that make it special to me
including characters, places, and lore.]
I read the book about two years ago.
Now, I had considered buying the book when it came out, but I never had the desire to actually do it. Luckily, it fell into my hands after winning a competition, and I was lucky enough to read it.
Being a book based on a game, I didn't expect it to be any good. I was pleasantly surprised once I read through the first few chapters and realized that I really did enjoy the story and writing style. Any fan of RuneScape with a bit of money on hand should definitely purchase it, especially if they're interested in learning some things about the world they play in.
I'm a roleplayer, so I've always pictured RuneScape through different glasses than a casual player might. To me, the world is much larger than the game presents. While it would take only minutes to make the walk from Varrock to Ardougne in-game (that is, if I didn't feel like teleporting :P ), the trek would take several weeks. T.S. Church adopts this view, which allows me to view the characters by extension not as NPCs in a computer game, but as living, breathing people.
There are also places shown in the book that are not included in the game that bring a deeper feeling to RuneScape. For example, there are a community of homes for retired White Knights and a slum-like area for poorer folk, revealing the distribution of Asgarnia's economy among its citizens.
To my surprise (and pleasure), the political status of Asgarnia is presented very well. Church addresses the political struggle between the White and Black Knights, both of whom fought alongside each other for Asgarnia's safety in the distant past, and the resentment that the Black Knights feel, having been forced to almost hide in the home they defended.

06-Nov-2010 11:29:44

1tk1

1tk1

Also included is the tension added by the Imperial Guard, a part of Asgarnia's military. Under Prince Anlaf in Burthope, it appears that the struggle is not all (forgive me for this) "black and white." Some of these claw-wielding men regard our central White Knight squire with hesitation before cooperating with him, showing that the Imperial Guard may not be all that trusting of the White Knights (though, they wouldn't be the first, eh?). Perhaps this gives some insight into what that meddlesome white knight is doing south of Burthope?
Others are mentioned, revealing the status of two very important figures: King Vallance and Prince Anlaf. The book gives a look into how Sir Amik Varze, rather than Prince Anlaf himself, has lead the nation in the ill-and-absent King's stead. It also gives a recent history to the world, with the results giving us (the players) a piece of RuneScape that has gifted us with large amounts of mining experience.
Along with Sir Amik Varze and Sir Tiffy Cashien, other characters from the game make an appearance in the book, such as Doric, H.A.M., and a certain vampyre who shall not be named. Along with the familiar setting, these characters allow us to associate more with the book for having played the game, and perhaps even appreciate these characters a bit more.
[This next paragraph is leaning a bit into the spoiler region, so you may want to skip it.]
Social structures are also shown, most notably that of the werewolves (who apparently have black blood!). Church shows the supremacy of vampyres over werewolves with the relationship between two of them. Said werewolf also gives some insight into their culture, where youths are not taught human language until adulthood and werewolves are not as (*cough*) "prolific" as humans.
Some cultures and elements in the book are not given extensively in the game, but give the world in the book a feeling of depth.

06-Nov-2010 11:29:54 - Last edited on 06-Nov-2010 11:48:44 by 1tk1

1tk1

1tk1

Unless "mare" refers to a unicorn... HORSES! Also, a caravan of gypsies is mentioned in the book, while the only gypsy I can recall from the game is Gypsy Aris. Other cultures are mentioned: the dwarves, who idolize gold, gems, and wealth, and the goblins, who are stupid enough to be used.
Betrayal at Falador is a great read, and any fan of RuneScape will be pleased with it. Now that it's in paperback and more available, I hope others will decide to pick it up and begin to appreciate the world they play in more.

06-Nov-2010 11:48:54 - Last edited on 06-Nov-2010 11:58:28 by 1tk1

Heidly Ees
Jun Member 2023

Heidly Ees

Posts: 5,484 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've read 1st chapter and I now need to read it all! I have some questions though:
1) Has T.S Church written any other decent books?
2) Does T.S Church have a Runescape account?
3) If yes to the above, what is his username?
:) :D :) :D
I'm just a man; I'm not a hero.
Just a boy who had to sing this song.

06-Nov-2010 12:18:50 - Last edited on 06-Nov-2010 12:19:16 by Heidly Ees

Quick find code: 254-255-35-61865390 Back to Top