Forums

Future of RS Q&A Transcript

Quick find code: 254-255-222-64213144

Mrag Groz

Mrag Groz

Posts: 6,463 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Here we are again, or is it still? I'm glad you're planning to move the lore along. It would be nice if the whole world moved forward, rather than just the background stories.

The craft skill system needs a complete overhaul. It needs it now. It doesn't need to be perpetually on people's top ten lists, waiting for another half-dozen complete overhauls of the graphics and mechanics. If you do that, then you'll always be chasing newer games.

This isn't nostalgia. When I started playing RS, in 2001, I was over 30. I knew very well what it would take to make me want to play such a game. There's a reason that I wasn't playing video games before RS, and it's the same reason I haven't been playing them since.

You lost the balance between crafting and combat. You replaced it with subsuming crafting under combat. You made the path of least resistance, for wealth generation, all about combat. In many cases, you even made gathering more streamlined through combat than through non-combat.

I have nothing against combat per se. In fact, if you're playing a tabletop game once a week, then that probably is the best focus. When you move that into a persistent world, then there should be more balance.

By shifting that balance, you created an imbalance in player focus. Competing for resources is expected in an MMOG; but, the distribution of desirable resources should be highly dispersed, not highly nucleated. To carry out that level of nucleation, you've had to continually make high-value combat drops more rare, and more likely to be distributed across a higher number of combatants.

Now, you've got most players fighting over the same small bits of combat content, because the non-combat content is neither engaging, nor rewarding in its own right. At most, it's worth buying, with combat loot, to add a few "bells and whistles" to benefit the individual in more combat. Are you certain that you haven't fabricated demand by not providing any alternatives?

03-Oct-2012 22:53:37

Climbing rc

Climbing rc

Posts: 138 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I hear you have doubled in staff, and are working hard for next year and working right now. Even with that, we have people that only want the old stuff. So in response, i'm going to list every f2p thing I like about Runescape 07-12
(At least ones I can remember):
Lodestones, runespan, artisians' workshop, dungeoneering, secret locations by dungeoneering, urns, demon's ashes(12.5>0), new quests, bank management, strong hold of player safety, runecrafting guild, lumbridge catacombs, fisherman's bank in Karajama, canoes for f2p, grand exchange, town updates, new music, botany bay, world management, friends world on log in, team capes, player events, and let me be honest, the beta doesn't seem as bad as everyone thinks it is.

Let's keep going for runescape 2013.

04-Oct-2012 00:48:00

Dalia

Dalia

Posts: 6,728 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"So right now we’re focusing on combat. We’re trying to get combat sorted and then dealing with summoning afterwards. In the short term there are going to be some tweaks to the pet system that we’ve had for a while."

What comes to mind is the pet's ability to run. For those who own god birds or ravens, you may notice that if you and the bird lags, it will do a "run" animation. It flies horizontal with it's feet tucked under the tail. However it won't do the animation normally.

This is likely one of the "tweaks" they mentioned. Another clue is that there was an official event off of the event list called "Pet shop toys". It has been removed, likely pushed back to November or December.

I really hope one of the "tweaks" is a GRAPHICAL UPDATE for pets. Compared to new models of pets and monsters, they are looking very blocky and outdated. The only use for pets right now is for show, so if they look bad they'll lose more use and popularity to players.

*Crosses fingers for November*

~Sacornus the acorn

04-Oct-2012 02:02:37

Hobbes14
Oct Member 2022

Hobbes14

Posts: 10,102 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"6. You re-released Classic. Will you ever re-release other versions such as the 2004-2006 period?

MMG: No."

That part gave me a good laugh when I heard it, so straight and to the point. ^_^

On the topic of the other Q&As, the thing I am most curious about is this skill removal/rework...it will be interesting to see what happens with that....

04-Oct-2012 11:32:26

Aagosh

Aagosh

Posts: 84 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have a list of things i would love to see ingame:

1) Involvement of Gods (choosing sides etc.)
2) Multiple Characters per account. Here i have a suggestion, why not introduce races? like being a dwarf, an elf or goblin?
3) Day and Light. Suggestion: You can introduce a small clock where Lp and minimap is displayed?
4) new minigames for F2p and more MAJOR updates for F2P (like some new bosses (lvl 100-120) better drops better money making methods
5) Occupation/or a new skill business? u start with a cart then advance to shops then chains etc?
6) MOST IMPORTANT! I'm from India and we need an INDIAN SERVER and more stuff which is available in india!

04-Oct-2012 13:11:24 - Last edited on 04-Oct-2012 13:33:11 by Aagosh

Quick find code: 254-255-222-64213144 Back to Top