Forums

MMG's Friends Chat Channel Thread is locked

Quick find code: 254-255-115-63134042

Raistlen

Raistlen

Posts: 2,070 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Could you at least suggest that the marketing come from a different angle?
I'm sure there's so many other ways to market that wouldn't have a direct impact on how the game works.
~Raistlen~

23-Aug-2011 17:55:02 - Last edited on 23-Aug-2011 17:55:25 by Raistlen

The contents of this message have been hidden.

23-Aug-2011 17:56:50

The contents of this message have been hidden.

23-Aug-2011 17:56:58

Trevorghost
Dec Member 2005

Trevorghost

Posts: 11,113 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The recent marketing is one of the things that we have to look at, along with clans and other unique upcoming content.
------------------------------------------------------------
I have no problem with marketing. I felt Citadels, though perhaps a bit overdone, was great. It built hype. Whereas, RAF is RWTing, and attempting to bolster profits by providing advantages to those willing to pay extra money.
Max Quest Points. Max Cool Points. Host of the Immensely Popular Lords of the Wait.

23-Aug-2011 17:58:06

Nabu Rimanni

Nabu Rimanni

Posts: 23,865 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
One last time. I'll post one more time and hope this gets through. My concern is that Refer-a-Friend is too easily abused. The suggestion for abuse first appeared in the announcement of the program:
-----------------------
Can I refer myself?
Mod Nexus: You could refer yourself if you wanted to create a second account as a pure or hybrid character for example. However, your main account would not receive the 10% boost unless that account subscribed as well.
-----------------------
This was clarified and reiterated soon after:
-----------------------
~~~RAF QUESTIONS~~~, page 8
Quick find code: 15-16-897-63115318
Mod Nexus, Jagex Mod, 18-Aug-2011 18:47:48
-What precautions will Jagex take to assure that nobody will be buying themselves exp bonuses?
There's no reason why you can't refer yourself to create a pure or hybrid account. Now at some point you may want to subscribe with this account or swap 'mains' if you like. If that's in the first two weeks or in a year's time that's up to you.
-----------------------
Thus, the official statements from Jagex suggest and confirm that players use this to refer one account of theirs to another. Players have posted on the Recent Updates forum that they have successfully actually done that.
Refer-a-Friend's 10% xp bonus breaks several of Jagex's rules when a player applies it from one account to another. First, in order to use this on another of your accounts, you have to log into both accounts at once. Why?
-----------------------
What is in the cracker and how does my friend use it?
Mod Nexus: The cracker (not the one with party hats inside) will be given to your friend upon creating an account. Your friend will be added to your friends list, so meet them in-game and help them pull the cracker! It contains a few useful items to help a new player get started, from existing weapons and armour to 500 coins of ‘spending’ money, and a bit of cake. Everyone loves cake!
-----------------------
(con

23-Aug-2011 17:58:24

Nabu Rimanni

Nabu Rimanni

What rule does that break?
-----------------------
You may create more than one account, but if you do, you may not log in more than one account at any time, and they must not interact with each other in any way. This includes 'drop trading' or any other method of item transfer.
-----------------------
Far more serious than that rule is the rule against real world trading.
-----------------------
1. What is real-world trading?
Real-world trading is the term used for the real-world purchase of services with the intention of advancing your Jagex character. This includes, but is not limited to: purchasing gold or items in RuneScape, buying a RuneScape account, increasing your account's experience (XP) in a skill, or completion of quests and activities.
-----------------------
When a player uses Refer-a-Friend to refer one of their accounts to get the 10% bonus on another of their accounts for the purpose of acquiring that 10% bonus, that is real world trading.
Whether or not Jagex intended that, it IS real world trading.

Will this be used often? Certainly it will.
Competitive players will feel they have to use it to stay competitive. They will prepare for a frenzied week of activity and get that 10% bonus.
Is it worth it to them? It certainly is for some skills, in particular, for prayer, herblore, and summoning. These are the skills that come in two stages. The first stage is gathering resources, a stage that can be shortened by buying them. You can't buy the resources for summoning, but you can for the others. Players will stock up and do the final stage during a 10% bonus week. Other skills like fletching and cooking also benefit from this, but to a lower extent since the resources needed for them are cheap and will be bought instead of gathered. Still, for those, a savings of 10% of time is worth the one-month membership fee.
(cont.)

23-Aug-2011 17:58:42

Nabu Rimanni

Nabu Rimanni

What can be done about it?
At the very least, a statement by Jagex that referring one of your accounts to another for the sole purpose of getting the 10% bonus is real world trading and is not allowed.
Much better, however, is a change in the rewards for Refer-a-Friend so that either it can't be done or the rewards are changed so that it's not even in the cards.
(end)

23-Aug-2011 17:58:55

Ezkaton
Feb Member 2021

Ezkaton

Posts: 100 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
"The recent marketing is one of the things that we have to look at, along with clans and other unique upcoming content. I don't want you to think that this is the only method we have to move RS and Jagex forward."

I certainly do hope so here Mat. Your current aggressive marketing is alienating Jagex away from the original goal, and soon, it seems, will be a game that can only be played if your wallet had enough cash in it.
Clans, some updates upset me a tad - the citadels update meant that my friends and I had to leave our little CC which we used to chat to each other for convenience - We all used Shyla's FC because that's the unofficial Tip.It Chat, and the CC was great for us. That was taken away, but what do four people matter to a multi-million pound company? It's the year of Clans anyways....
And I hope you mean something GOOD is coming along soon. Troll Invasion, Quests, and the Temple Trekking update have been the best things you guys have released this year.
These are dark times currently Mat, and I hope you understand the precarious position that Jagex is in when concerned with people.

23-Aug-2011 18:02:24

Quick find code: 254-255-115-63134042 Back to Top