Forums

Running a PoK.

Quick find code: 237-238-770-66064123

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Please excuse the following scatterbrain paragraphs on the topic of what I believe is integral to leading a player-owned kingdom.

By definition, PoK simply stands for player-owned kingdom. A place in which a player’s role play character rules an area of land, generally as its highest official, or one of the higher officials. Historically, they lead the direction and theme of that sphere of Gielinor, regardless of the size. More importantly, however, these spaces are supposed to be free for any to come and join, interact, and have a good time. This means that other role players, or groups of them, are able to affect that sphere with their own stories for temporary or lasting effects on that sphere of roleplay. That is public roleplay.

Public role play is the direction that 42 has, for a long time, chose to play in. Public in the sense that all can come, interact, and affect another person’s story. Community and cooperative storytelling. PoKs were once a group dynamic in which this was incredibly focused upon.

In the past, all of this has always been true. More recently, however, there have been instances of people denying others the right to interact with them. And some have been for reasons that many would consider reasonable. There is a strange conflict, however, when a person who does NOT plan to welcome any and all into his or her sphere of role play gains a position of leadership, particularly in a PoK. Generally, this is considered “blacklisting”. When you deny a person, or a group, the ability to interact or affect the story of a particular area of role play, you have blacklisted them.

I did not come here to rant, however.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

28-Nov-2018 19:15:57 - Last edited on 28-Nov-2018 19:19:25 by Vekon

Vekon

Vekon

As a PoK leader, you are somewhat swearing an oath that you’re leading an area of the public roleplaying sphere. You should be entirely impartial. You should forget your OOC grievances and allow anyone and everyone to interact in the area you lead. You should be 100% inclusive. More importantly, you should never encourage those that play in your clan or PoK to follow in your footsteps to ignore others.

If you cannot handle those few things, then PoK leadership is not something for you. There are tons of other ways you can lead fun RP groups. And in those groups, you can interact with whoever you want.

A PoK should be inviting. It’s a place for everyone. It’s a place for many people and many groups to come and interact with one another. Open to anything from simply friendly interactions to straight up antagonism. If that isn’t you cup of tea, there are other options.

Current and past leaders are guilty of not being as inclusive as I described above, including myself. And while change for the better isn't easy, it is certainly possible.
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

28-Nov-2018 19:16:03 - Last edited on 28-Nov-2018 19:17:12 by Vekon

Vekon

Vekon

I want to hear what everyone thinks leading a PoK should mean, and the responsibilities of that leader. Keep it civil, keep anything off-topic in your discord group chats.
KANDAR VICTA

#
HouseVekon

28-Nov-2018 19:16:03 - Last edited on 28-Nov-2018 19:18:18 by Vekon

Salwamander

Salwamander

Posts: 418 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If someone doesn't want to RP with someone else, they shouldn't have to - even if they're running a PoK.

That being said, if they're denying someone access to a RP then by definition it's a private roleplay.

Those who are upset with what's currently going on are just being immature in my opinion and they should just move on to find actual public roleplay instead of trying to make the private one public.
Leopard slugs.
||
Ba
rba
dos

28-Nov-2018 19:31:40

John McAfee
Sep Member 2023

John McAfee

Posts: 1,770 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This same crap has happened many times the past few years, eventually people get tired of it and the offending party gets booted out. See: 90% of Misthalin PoKs, Dandarin incident, and many Falador PoKs(Not that it ever gets us anywhere). People should definitely not be allowed to run a PoK if they're just going to Blacklist anything that they don't agree with, and this is a philosophy I've pushed for since I got into the game. That said, anybody is welcome to individually refuse to RP with one person or another but there is a point that it just becomes too much, or just flat out stupid.

The only way to fix this is to set a precedence or guideline on the whats of running a public PoK . The reality though is that many of the people that somehow come into running a PoK are nowhere near mature enough to be handling something as simple as playing pretend king. I feel where you're coming from with this thread, and I'd be just as miffed, in fact I am.

Bless.
" Good maps make good plans ."

28-Nov-2018 20:00:51

CoronaThymeU

CoronaThymeU

Posts: 298 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Run a Pok as you would anything else. Surround yourself with good people, understand the people you rp with and what they expect from those who spur the plots. At the same time a plot has to be satisfactory to the majority. And in the end, a pok is public to all. A private roleplay is not. We're here to have fun.

28-Nov-2018 20:27:43

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 4,255 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
With respect,

We have rules on W42 for a reason and we created a means of dealing with rulebreakers for a reason as well. Abusing the blacklist as many have done throughout W42's history, particularly the Vekons and their allies is a problem but Blacklists can still be a completely reasonable response in certain circumstances.

Public PoKs have never been required to acknowledge those that break W42's fundamental rules such as metagaming or randoming or those that make real life threats of any kind. Blacklisting a single person or even a single group has never been considered to turn a public RP into a private one. Please stop using this false comparisons or insane exaggerations, particularly given that many who have posted here have openly bragged about abuse the blacklist system for years.
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

28-Nov-2018 22:26:42

Quick find code: 237-238-770-66064123 Back to Top