Forums

Running a PoK.

Quick find code: 237-238-770-66064123

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Posts: 2,824 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I didn't really expect you to be able to explain something so simple but it looks like you went on a snarky rant instead.

Just saying. You could have just shared your oppinion on what you see as ‘building something better’ without the jabs. Thanks for trying anyways.

Peace.

p.s. Gersty you need some serious chill.
Quickly learn how to Roleplay on RuneScape!

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

28-Jan-2019 23:55:36

Gersty

Gersty

Posts: 312 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CrocoNuts said :
p.s. Gersty you need some serious chill.

I selflessly sacrificed all my chill to the less fortunate. You're welcome.
"When the Lord made me, He made a ramblin' man..."

"... An Arizona Ranger, wouldn't be too long in town."

29-Jan-2019 01:03:44 - Last edited on 29-Jan-2019 01:04:17 by Gersty

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 4,255 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Croco I recommend a course on "How to phrase my question so it doesn't sound snarky and get that same tone in response. In other news I do apologize if it was an innocent question.

@Gersty I was asked a question and answered it. I'm not entirely sure that's a symptom of needing to have the last word.

Incidentally I do have a challenge for you both which is for you to actually reply to the main point of my last reply without trying to change the subject (which was always one of my main sources of irritation on w42 (that and W42's outright refusal to ever ask a question preferring to wait no matter how long it took for the whole plan/concept/idea to be explained to them in full)).
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

30-Jan-2019 18:11:15

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Lord Pyro I said :
In other news I do apologize if it was an innocent question.

It was indeed an innocent question. I make it no secret of wanting a bigger community again and I think that insights from all current roleplayers could be of help with it.

Lord Pyro I said :
Incidentally I do have a challenge for you .

Challenge accepted!

I think it is a complete waste time for people to talk about how someone should rule a POK. Yes, overall many people over the years have had their best roleplay experiences in places like Ardougne, Asgarnia, Camelot, Yanille, etc. But those times are over. Many people have completely dropped RuneScape as a game from their lives, the game itself lost its RP appeal on its own. Others have started roleplaying on other MMORPGs, that offered them a higher playerbase, better roleplay experience or a fresh start in a new community. Then some have had such bad experiences with the public scene that they have completely zoned themselves off from certain individuals, friend groups or whole roleplay clans. Now they only roleplay with those they prefer to roleplay with.

Player Owned Kingdoms are no longer the cornerstone of the W42 roleplay community because they require a healthy active playerbase to them to feel appealing and legitimate. People no longer see the appeal of having the same 5 people giggling in the throne room interact, so people do not join player owned kingdoms anymore.

I think that if you want to have a meaningfull thread for this roleplay community, you don’t need to talk about player owned kingdoms. I personally think the attention should be shifted onto creating a means of organising community meaningful roleplay events, like we used to have in the past. To not just drop a bomb of 'this is how it should be', some ideas! A weekly roleplay night or a market day done by volunteers instead of player owned kingdoms.

I am bad and that's good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me.

30-Jan-2019 19:48:34 - Last edited on 30-Jan-2019 20:43:39 by CrocoNuts

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

@Croco

I'm afraid I have to disagree for three key reasons

1. Based on my own personal perception the move away from POKs and the change in the way that POKs were run marked the beginning of if not the end then at least the start us believing that W42 was dying. The earliest example I remember of this was just after the fall of Russia's Ardougne (coincidentally) when tom's character was assassinated but he then later "let off" because he made such a fuss about it. Now that was a long time ago now and the outcome doesn't matter to me anymore but the principle however innocent began to permeate W42. A system of requiring permission became increasingly abused by a select but rapidly growing few until many felt powerless to act on W42 and left in disgust.

2. Ridaku's POK and others like it demonstrate that there still exists a genuine interest in and need for POKs on W42. They provide world building for the whole of W42, anchoring RPers in a situation which they can add too (which is in contrast to the purest story telling approaches which exist to be entertaining but are by necessity less interactive). More than that as long as there is interest in POKs and indeed new players coming in to take part in them then they are worth discussion. In fact as I discovered during my time as arenaride there are many groups on the fringes of our community unseen by most that might well return to our group if they saw a community of stable POKs lead by decent people (most were driven away by some of the more toxic elements here).

3. I have no issue with other types of RP events (and here is as good a place to discuss them as any) in principle BUT I have yet to be convinced by the (admitted not very many) RPs I have been invited to of that type. Without wishing to be rude the plot lines I saw were often predictable and frustrating in their limitations on what I was able to do. Also it usually relied on custom lore that made it feel obscure and inaccessible to new players.
#WarIsComing

30-Jan-2019 23:02:00

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

CrocoNuts said :
Point 1 and 3 make quite some sense to me. Good talk. :)

Kinda disappointed there on two counts.

1. You still won't accept rid's doing a decent job with his POK

2. You didn't pick up the challenge hinted at in point 3 and try and show me that your preferred type of RP is better (that is rps not involving poks).

P.S. This is not intended as a criticism, just my thoughts on your reply.

P.P.S. I had a randomish idea while writing this. Maybe when there is an inactive (dead) POK available we should consider holding an OOC community vote on who should run it based on a bunch of candidates who each explain their vision for what direction to take the region in storywise.
#WarIsComing

05-Feb-2019 19:47:53

CrocoNuts
Jul Member 2010

CrocoNuts

Lord Pyro I said :
CrocoNuts said :
You didn't pick up the challenge hinted at in point 3 and try and show me that your preferred type of RP is better (that is rps not involving poks).

What you are saying to me is that you like apples more than pears, so that is why apples are the better fruit. It’s personal preference and I think that I shouldn’t bother to challenge that.

Some people just like apples and some people don’t like them, but you won't see me forcefeeding those people apples. Besides harsh I think that be quite the waste of my time.

05-Feb-2019 20:03:39

Vekon

Vekon

Posts: 2,037 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
CrocoNuts said :
Lord Pyro I said :
CrocoNuts said :
You didn't pick up the challenge hinted at in point 3 and try and show me that your preferred type of RP is better (that is rps not involving poks).

What you are saying to me is that you like apples more than pears, so that is why apples are the better fruit. It’s personal preference and I think that I shouldn’t bother to challenge that.

Some people just like apples and some people don’t like them, but you won't see me forcefeeding those people apples. Besides harsh I think that be quite the waste of my time.

especially when the local farmer likes to eat the apples before they're even ripe
KANDAR VICTA

Axel Vekon, the Eternal Emperor, the Archmage, the Lichslayer, of the Holy Kandarin Empire.

#
HouseVekon

05-Feb-2019 20:19:18

Quick find code: 237-238-770-66064123 Back to Top