Forums

"What's Canon?"

Quick find code: 237-238-457-65867256

Am RolePlay

Am RolePlay

Posts: 1,306 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Before I even get started, I just want to make it clear that this mostly a probe; I'm not trying to solve deep community issues or any of that. I'm looking for genuine answers and after probing around in-game, I've not been able to find any.

I. Why is their argument between which Ardougne is the "canon" one? To me, this isn't Star Wars and it should boil down to which player owned city produces the most role-play . I'm not trying to take a side (despite which clan I'm in) but the leader of one Ardougne rarely gets on and produces very little role-play .

II. Why are internal groups like mine being penalized because of which "canon" we support? The other day I made to make an honest attempt to spread some role-play into a neighboring role-play. I messaged the leader of that POK and explained the plot, what I plan to do and the answer I got was: "We don't support that canon, just bear that in mind."

III. It is my opinion that this community is growing - the Calderon have increased to nine ACTIVE members. Two of them are new role-players that are gradually learning the ropes. When I explained the situation to them, as to why another POK would not accept interaction with our group, they were confused - "Is this Star Wars? Does a group of people, like Disney, just decide that a whole bunch of stuff didn't really happen when they don't get their way with something?

IV. So my point here - is I want to see something happen, or atleast have an explanation made from the leaders of: Asgarnia, Misthalin, Camelot and both Ardougnes - why is this even a problem?

If there is some convoluted issue between the leaders of these POKs then make it known. Work out your issues and make decisions (as a community) that promote the most role-play. Most of us here are either in their later teens or adults - let's stop acting like children.

06-Jan-2017 19:41:13

Am RolePlay

Am RolePlay

"However, as a co-admin in Misthalin, I would like to see the other kingdoms acknowledging Vekonic Kandarin. Not only are they far more active than the Sunrise Kingdom, but Gale has always produced relatively interesting plots when he has the potential to." - Justin

"What's it going to take for people to realize this kind of behaviour not only makes you look intolerant, but it also really harms the community and all attempts to create and revitalize RP?" - Hazbo.

"I think it was Mathus that said it, everyone wants to be the Chosen One. Everyone is right, and everyone is wrong. It's time to start owning up that everyone has a part in the slow decline of RSRP and to fix it, we actually have to admit that out loud and actively work to change it." - Myles

"...there are two Ardougne, one was created out of drama, creating another that most people don't agree with. So besides history, I can assume it's also the fact that it is the relationship with another. Plus two Ardougne, that's confusing to be honest." - Adventurers.

"I'd love to bring Greyson back into Ardougne, and do a final plot for his story but I simply can't. I'm not about to exclude an entire group of roleplayers that would have their own ideas and stories to add to it, or use Greyson's plot to grow their own characters because of a division." - Greyson Val

I don't think I agree with the Vekon running Ardougne anymore, but they have every right to run Yanille. - Blox

But, at least the community made it an art to continue in the cycle, rather than trying to fight and bite at one another over it. So that's progress. Maybe in another decade, we can actually leave behind our prejudices and agree that, maybe, Runescape wasn't meant to have so many wildly divergent canons and player-owned kingdoms? -Healthorg

06-Jan-2017 19:42:08 - Last edited on 07-Jan-2017 00:14:35 by Am RolePlay

Hazbollah

Hazbollah

Posts: 7,692 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
If I'm honest, I doubt this will achieve anything - we all know what the issue is and there have been numerous attempts to address it. Fact of the matter is if people don't want to change, then they won't, hence why this is still surrounded by controversy after what? Months? Years?

What's it going to take for people to realize this kind of behaviour not only makes you look intolerant, but it also really harms the community and all attempts to create and revitalize RP?

EDIT: missed a word
All these sins disguised as blessings

06-Jan-2017 19:50:28 - Last edited on 06-Jan-2017 19:51:15 by Hazbollah

Am RolePlay

Am RolePlay

Hazbollah said :
If I'm honest, I doubt this will achieve anything - we all know what the issue is and there have been numerous attempts to address it. Fact of the matter is if people don't want to change, then they won't, hence why this is still surrounded by controversy after what? Months? Years?

What's it going to take for people to realize this kind of behaviour not only makes you look intolerant, but it also really harms the community and all attempts to create and revitalize RP?

EDIT: missed a word

It may very well be - but it's time these "leaders" address their immaturity.

06-Jan-2017 20:03:21

Lord Pyro I
Nov Member 2018

Lord Pyro I

Posts: 4,255 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I have to say I very much agree, this has become a rather silly situation that shouldn't continue too much longer.

I have to say I support the vekonic claim personally. Not from any personal bias or desire for IC gain but simply because the Vekons aren't just more active but that they'd achieved a position where they could legitimately retake everything they had lost in the past with a high chance of success. Originally the Vekons were acknowledged as still owning yanille even after their questionable actions. It was extended to a total blacklist when the Vekons once again became a threat so I can't acknowledge the other side.

Our rules have to be followed in an attempt to give us all a reasonable chance at achieving any IC goals we may have, the idea that a single mistake could destroy an entire RP group is not something I can personally accept.
"The greatest endeavors are achieved because of their selfless intent"
#WarIsComing

06-Jan-2017 20:08:55

Quael
Jan Member 2018

Quael

Posts: 3,628 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hazbollah said :
If I'm honest, I doubt this will achieve anything
He has a point, this will solve little to nothing at all. But I wish to respond to your questions.

I. Why is their argument between which Ardougne is the "canon" one? I can assume it's because of one's history over the other on how it was made, not pointing any fingers, but if there are two Ardougne, one was created out of drama, creating another that most people don't agree with. So besides history, I can assume it's also the fact that it is the relationship with another. Plus two Ardougne, that's confusing to be honest.

II. Why are internal groups like mine being penalized because of which "canon" we support? It is something like the land claim system, only different, if a rp group that is a POK becomes inactive enough, another group can claim it, with the acknowledgement of others. As stated above, people tend to point at the first group made and consider it the only one. So honestly that's something that needs to be dropped and looked into. If others don't want to see it as canon, well that's their choice but it's best trying to solve it in a manner where both sides can agree to it then post it on here.

III. It is my opinion that this community is growing - the Calderon have increased to nine ACTIVE members. Two of them are new role-players that are gradually learning the ropes That is true, The Godless rp group has grown a lot as well with new rpers or guests joining, the fact is it is how a lot of people work and think, it isn't much we can do about it.

IV. So my point here - is I want to see something happen, or at least have an explanation made from the leaders of: Asgarnia, Misthalin, Camelot and both Ardougne's - why is this even a problem?
Get ready for a huge statement from them then.
Duke of Fort Forinthry
Interested in role-play? check out: The Quest Collective

06-Jan-2017 20:20:26

Am RolePlay

Am RolePlay

Quael said :
Hazbollah said :
If I'm honest, I doubt this will achieve anything
He has a point, this will solve little to nothing at all. But I wish to respond to your questions.

I. Why is their argument between which Ardougne is the "canon" one? I can assume it's because of one's history over the other on how it was made, not pointing any fingers, but if there are two Ardougne, one was created out of drama, creating another that most people don't agree with. So besides history, I can assume it's also the fact that it is the relationship with another. Plus two Ardougne, that's confusing to be honest.[/b]

I wanted to quote this man's response to the question. It IS drama!

06-Jan-2017 20:22:04 - Last edited on 06-Jan-2017 20:23:37 by Am RolePlay

Valiesin
Dec Member 2021

Valiesin

Posts: 3,781 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
This is honestly a problem I planted the seed for by giving Ardougne to Tom when Tyrek was King.

However, as a co-admin in Misthalin, I would like to see the other kingdoms acknowledging Vekonic Kandarin. Not only are they far more active than the Sunrise Kingdom, but Gale has always produced relatively interesting plots when he has the potential to. I'd say I'm more impressed with his tenure in Kandarin than I was originally skeptical about.

That said, I'd be willing to talk more about reconciliation. I've never been a fan of blacklisting entire clans and their canon at that. For many people that complained about elitism in the past, they seem to empower the effort of it more now, but that's the double standard world we inhabit now.
.„¸¸,.·` |
Valiesin
| `· .,¸¸„.

06-Jan-2017 21:20:45

Quick find code: 237-238-457-65867256 Back to Top