Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
My eldest son is buying a home for the first time after renting for almost 7 years. He is due to exchange contracts on Friday ( 20th) and Complete on the 3rd November. He received the documents just before the weekend. He read them and spotted something that his solicitor and the firm representing the seller hadn't noticed.
The garage, which is in a block behind the property and has access via a pedestrian door at the bottom of the garden, isn't included in the deeds. My husband dug around on the land registry site and discovered other garages in the block had separate deeds to the property they "belonged" to. My son has contacted his solicitor and they have said it looks like the deed for the garage wasn't transferred the last time the place was sold. If they had been good at their job this would already have been sorted out!! :@ :@
My son is feeling very stressed because his tenancy runs out on the 12th Nov. He feels conflicted because the garage is partly why he chose to buy that property. Should he go ahead and hope it all gets sorted out before he moves in? Delaying exchange of contracts risks him having to find temporary accommodation and putting his belongings into storage...or squatting in the rental property for a while ( its going to be refurbished so no-one is waiting to move in ). I wish I knew the answer. :(

17-Oct-2023 10:40:17 - Last edited on 17-Oct-2023 10:40:43 by Megycal

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Thanks for the good wishes. The exchange and completion dates are going to be delayed, the question now is how long for? One obstacle is the seller insisting there are 2 weeks between exchange and completion. If he was willing to make that 1 week its possible completion could be on the 10th Nov.
We're going to visit our son this weekend and bring back some of his belongings that he doesn't need to use everyday such as books, wine glasses etc. He lives over 100 miles away and after my husband's hip replacement op we won't be able to visit again for at least 6 weeks.

19-Oct-2023 10:05:24

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Thanks Tuffy. I know it will get sorted out eventually but my son doesn't have much time before he has to leave the rented house. If things had gone to plan he'd have had over a week between getting the keys to his new home and the end of the tenancy. He's started packing and his belongings may have to go into storage. He might have to sleep at friends' houses or stay in a Premier Inn for a few nights. He seemed calmer today than when we spoke via Zoom earlier in the week.
We took various things to his local recycling centre including a broken TV and laptop ( minus its hard drive ). We brought back some boxes of his spare crockery, glasses and cutlery, a couple of boxes of books and some dvds. We also managed to fit a small gateleg table into the car.
edit to add: I really wish he had learnt to drive and had a car. There is a limited amount he can carry on a bicycle. :P

21-Oct-2023 20:37:03 - Last edited on 21-Oct-2023 20:39:25 by Megycal

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Hmm, was it included in the sale?

I say this as funnily enough my dad was on about a simialr thing that happened to him in the late 80s

He bought a plot of land and it had a couple of little brick buildings on it, he was talking to a woman asking what he was going to do. knock them down clear the scrub etc.

Woman said they belong to x

he rang solicitor and they were convinced they were owned by the person selling the land but my dad asked them to look into it a bit more

Turns out they were owned by this other woman who didn't live there. He went to this woman who owned the two cottages across the road that had the brick buildings with them and did a deal to buy the pair of cottages for £1000 and the solicitors paid it.

We've just started to refurbish the second one now we did the other a few years ago.

24-Oct-2023 19:46:20 - Last edited on 24-Oct-2023 20:02:30 by Wilf

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Offer the landlord a bit extra rent for the inconvenience if he's very conscientious. I'm pretty sure they know that if your son decides not to leave on the day he's supposed to there isn't really anything they can do as by the time he can be legally removed he'll have already gone.

24-Oct-2023 20:03:20

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Thanks for all the suggestions.
The estate agent details and plans included the garage and as the pedestrian door is directly into the garden it surely can't belong to anyone else in the area. The current owner has been using the garage ever since he bought the property.
My sons landlady had already extended his tenancy by a month and has arranged for builders to go and rip out the kitchen and bathroom the day after the tenancy ends. We suggested he could ask to stay a bit longer but let the builders work on the kitchen. When we had a kitchen refit we were without one for 6 weeks. It was a big job involving new wiring, new ceiling, walls replastered and floor levelled.

25-Oct-2023 10:35:05

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Archaeox said :
On a roll today - one of my flash science fiction pieces was longlisted for a well-known competition, and another was published this morning :)

Congrats! Get to working on another one n00b.

I am not on a roll, my programs are being shite today.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

27-Oct-2023 14:30:41 - Last edited on 27-Oct-2023 14:31:10 by Averia Light

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top