Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

CM Nick

CM Nick

Local Moderator Posts: 9,140 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Crikey yeah - I do sound like a doting Mum there don't I ? :D

I'm not mawkishly sentimental over my pets but cannot deny there's some heavy duty emotional attachment going on.

Hahaha I relate to this very much Fifi!

FiFi LaFeles said :
On Friday I received notification that my first State Pension payment had been put into my bank account. HURRAH !! I'm definitely now an official OAP and can jump queues, be cranky, claim Winter Fuel Allowance and constantly make reference to "the good old days".

Lucky me.

Also congrats on the right to be cranky! :P
Community Manager for Jagex

| Forum Help | Account Security |

11-Apr-2021 17:48:20

The contents of this message have been hidden.

11-Apr-2021 22:04:53

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I dunno, it's weird innit?

Us as kids used to buy a day travel pass called a Red Rover and spend all day jumping on and off red buses, going all over the Greater London area, all day.

We'd have no idea where we were going and deliberately get hopelessly lost then spend several more hours getting 10 different buses back home.

Our parents knew we were heading off to destinations unknown and were unconcerned. Adults en route took no notice of us - we were just kids having an adventure.

Very few working class families had cars back then so we'd also have lengthy bus journeys to get to school and back .... or walk the 5+ miles home if we'd spent our bus fare on sweets :P

The world really is a very different place now, unrecognisable from the halcyon days of my childhood.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

12-Apr-2021 09:43:08

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I grew up in the country and would often take myself off for hours walking the fields and meadows alone.

Whilst at primary school I was dropped off by the school bus and walked up a large hill to get to my bike left at a local farmers barn and then cycle the next couple of miles home.

Thinking back on it now it seems impossible that we could have lived such innocent times, where our parents never questioned where we were, and our doors were never locked.

12-Apr-2021 14:02:38

The contents of this message have been hidden.

12-Apr-2021 16:22:54

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
[#HJJTVVHCT] said :
Lol the good ol' days, when plenty kids (including me) could just jump on to the train/bus/or on to the back of some strangers truck and go where ever we felt like going, very few would honestly bat an eye or even ask me where my parents were lmao

Man, that was a wild life before the internet and even TV took over. Whatever happened??

And I thought you were young, 20s or 30s.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

12-Apr-2021 17:07:28

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
So 2 days after getting my first State Pension payment I get a letter from the Taxman telling me how much of it he's going to take back off me.

Because I have a couple of small private pensions I'm now so rich - apparently - that I must hand a chunk back to the Government :|

I'd been paying a modest amount of Tax anyway on my private pensions since I was 60 but talk about giving it to you with one hand whilst taking it back with the other!

Bastard Government - they tax you all your working life, then they tax your retirement money then when you die they tax your corpse.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

12-Apr-2021 23:40:34

Dadizar
Oct Member 2005

Dadizar

Posts: 5,902 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
So 2 days after getting my first State Pension payment I get a letter from the Taxman telling me how much of it he's going to take back off me.

Because I have a couple of small private pensions I'm now so rich - apparently - that I must hand a chunk back to the Government :|

I'd been paying a modest amount of Tax anyway on my private pensions since I was 60 but talk about giving it to you with one hand whilst taking it back with the other!

Bastard Government - they tax you all your working life, then they tax your retirement money then when you die they tax your corpse.

As my favorite Beatle George Harrison once wrote...

Should five percent appear too small
Be thankful I don't take it all
'Cause I'm the taxman
Yeah, I'm the taxman

If you drive a car, car, I'll tax the street
If you try to sit, sit, I'll tax your seat
If you get too cold, cold, I'll tax the heat
If you take a walk, walk, I'll tax your feet
Taxman

'Cause I'm the taxman
Yeah, I'm the taxman

Don't ask me what I want it for
(Haha, Mr. Wilson)
If you don't want to pay some more
(Haha, Mr. Heath)
'Cause I'm the taxman
Yeah, I'm the taxman

Now my advice for those who die
(Taxman!)
Declare the pennies on your eyes
(Taxman!)
Cause I'm the taxman
Yeah, I'm the taxman
§¤*
What love we've given, we'll have forever. What love we fail to give, will be lost for all eternity. - Leo Buscaglia
»¤§

12-Apr-2021 23:55:41

Megycal
Sep Member 2005

Megycal

Posts: 18,105 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
After the first year of my husband working as a self employed person the tax man did a full audit of his records. They wanted every receipt and every piece of paper relating to his work. Luckily everything had been saved and filed. The accountant firm he'd hired to do that first tax return was useless but I have to say that although hubby had underpaid tax HMRC didn't fine him ( if they did he never told me :P ). He now uses a different accountant who is excellent. The company he'd used for the first year closed down soon afterwards. Not surprising considering the mistakes they made in hubby's tax return, they can't have had many satisfied clients.

15-Apr-2021 23:00:49

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's a yikes from me. Damn the tax man. Glad it (seemingly) got sorted out okay, Megycal!
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

16-Apr-2021 19:45:24

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top