Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Council round here are slack as well

We've a bloke like that as a sort of neighbor he's been here digging out loads of rock at the back of his industrial units the past few week as there was a landslide. He was in the process of selling up for £7 millions but apparently the new buyers insurers wouldn't insure against landslides because basically the blokes done it all himself with no calculations or retaining wall etc, but he gets away with it time and time again he even stuck three extra bays on the building when he built it. Been told he was quoted £500k by a firm to do a proper job but nope.

He also owns some woodland nearby which is where he tips everything he's dug out. Been fined in the past for tipping. Then he was prosecuted again but they withdrew it as he told them he wouldn't tip any more without permisson. What a joke how nave to think he'd ask permission rather than just do it.

Then was ordered to remove stuff he tipped after that, but guess what he took the council to the high court and won as apparently the council didn't follow the correct procedure.

got a write up in local paper https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/judge-blames-council-losing-land-5083992

Since then he's continued tipping as he pleases basically. Whole wood is under TPO and he's practically destroyed it and the council have done sweet fa

He's been fined for felling trees with TPO's on another bit of woodland he owns up the road as well which he also uses as a tip.

20-Mar-2021 19:20:04

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Interesting article! I hold local Councils in the highest of contempt. Despite charging every household money by way of Council Tax, they are totally incompetent and lazy.

Without going into specifics, two years ago I took my local Council to Court for breaching the Data Protection Act and won the case.

I'd complained to the Council about the activities of a specific local business as the particular nuisance fell under their jurisdiction to make it stop .... they e-mailed the business and me in the SAME e-mail thereby giving that business my personal contact details.

When I pointed this out to them they tried to gaslight me by saying as they hadn't revealed my full name and address to the business there wasn't a problem as e-mail addresses did not come under Data Protection. D'uhhhh ......

It's far from the first time they've f'ed up on important stuff then tried to oil their way out. A gaggle of pompous, smug, self-important pencil-necks who don't know the Laws even pertaining to their own Departments never mind the wider requirements expected of them.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

21-Mar-2021 09:53:03

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Wow Fifi, well done you.

It would be easy to assume that there would be no point in trying to take on a battle like this, and most people would not even try.

How excellent that not only did you do so, but that you won. :) :)

21-Mar-2021 10:02:25

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

I'd have pursued it anyway. I believe that institutions such as Council should be very aware of their responsibilities given that they are paid from the public purse to get it right.

Not only that, but such a breach could have had seriously bad repercussions - not for me in my piddly little case but for some other individual or firm if circumstances had been of more magnitude.

Them saying sorry and trying to hush it up wouldn't have put their lack of staff training and managerial incompetence under the spotlight and forced them to change the way they do things.

I didn't get compensation or anything like that, it was a very small and local case, and nor did I want or expect any. It was the principle .... their ignorance leading to error, leading to outright denial of wrongdoing and trying to brush me off, a letter from their Legal Department which had a very nasty undertone to it all just rubbed me up the wrong way.

Outfits like Councils seem to forget they are there, in fact, to serve the community - not to lie to them and covertly threaten.
Le Chat Guerrier

22-Mar-2021 09:07:10

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Anyway, the Ole Man has gone in to work for half a day for a "Refresher".
They do this if anyone has been absent for a while (in this case several months due to furlough) and it covers the company's arse in case anything goes wrong.

In his case, ensuring he hasn't forgotten how to drive an articulated lorry and won't be wiping out swathes of other road users.

It was really eerie getting up this morning and he wasn't around the place. No big smile and the kettle whistling while he made my cup of tea.

No random bumps, bangs or noises from other rooms. No shouts of "Oi, luv, can you just .... "

I DUNT LIEK IIIIIT !!! :(
Le Chat Guerrier

22-Mar-2021 09:28:50

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
Anyway, the Ole Man has gone in to work for half a day for a "Refresher".
They do this if anyone has been absent for a while (in this case several months due to furlough) and it covers the company's arse in case anything goes wrong.

In his case, ensuring he hasn't forgotten how to drive an articulated lorry and won't be wiping out swathes of other road users.

It was really eerie getting up this morning and he wasn't around the place. No big smile and the kettle whistling while he made my cup of tea.

No random bumps, bangs or noises from other rooms. No shouts of "Oi, luv, can you just .... "

I DUNT LIEK IIIIIT !!! :(

I can empathize with this.

My hubby is still at home and does all the housework, cooks some meals, painted all of the house, fixed porch roof etc., totally been looking after the ponies and the sheep, whilst I have worked this last year.

He is hoping to start working again soon,.so it won`t be quite so nice to have to come home and do it all myself. That is less RS time to play. :)

I do envy you the big smile in the morning though, I have got a more grumpy bugger who more or less only grunts at me before I go to work in the morning. It is at 5.30 am so can possible appreciate why that is.

23-Mar-2021 10:13:07

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

5.30 ? WUT? WUT? ...........
5.30 ?????

ZOMG !!

Noooo, I'm still popping out the zzzzzz's at that time.

Having said that, the Ole Man leaves about that time too usually but I'm never around to witness it. He might be a snarling, pointy-fanged beast at that time in the morning.
Le Chat Guerrier

23-Mar-2021 17:21:33

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah f all that. Who gets up that early??? It should be illegal to require anyone to be up that early. Oof.
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

25-Mar-2021 18:47:54

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top