Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Wild Bill63

Wild Bill63

Posts: 2,947 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Tuffty, yeah I've been playing since 01 as well. Kind of. I still mess around in game maybe three times per year because it just doesn't feel like it did starting out in the early days lol. I remember when getting rune armor was THE THING, then barrows armor came out, then some other stuff in 07 and having rune was no longer a big deal. The quests became shorter etc. That's why I don't really play much, with so many updates coming all the time it's hard to enjoy the achievements of getting the best of the best so to speak.

20-Jan-2021 00:17:35

Averia Light

Averia Light

Posts: 28,508 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Icy Spring said :
Don't worry, technology will soon render childcare obsolete.

I work for an IVF startup that's trying to replace childbirth with amniotic pods and synthetic umbilical cords that provide nourishment until the fetus is approximately 5 years old, by which time it will be ready to start kindergarten. So far only the cloned brains have succeeded in transferring innate knowledge to our little Athenas but the scientists assure me that brainwave inculcation therapy is just around the corner.

It's hard to believe but apparently there is a long list of wealthy clientele, Chinese especially, who want a hassle-free designer child.

Not horribly against the idea save for the idea that children will be "born" at 5 years old if I am reading that correctly.
And I swear I'm not going to let her know all the pain I have known

20-Jan-2021 02:27:50

Icy Spring

Icy Spring

Posts: 3,248 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I believe they technically aren't "born" until the amniotic fluid drains and they take their first breath, so brain stem development is artificially impaired until just before awakening. That way we can legally terminate the fetus for non-payment of services rendered.

Or so I've heard.

20-Jan-2021 03:34:23

Averia Light

Averia Light

Yeah, I have heard quite a bit about the artificial womb and what that means for abortion. The opposite effect may also happen - and that is that since the fetus is viable outside the mom from conception, is that going to impact abortion law and/or can a man take a fetus from a woman, put it in an artificial womb then demand child support from the woman? Can a sociopath/psychopath technically do terrible things to a fetus as long as it isn't technically born? Where is the line drawn? Is the fetus going to gain protection rights and what does that mean for abortion?

I am sure we are touching on topics that aren't allowed, so maybe we should end this conversation now but it is a rabbit hole that society is going to have to figure out. I actually made a thread on this very topic within the last 3 years and it was interesting.

20-Jan-2021 03:54:27 - Last edited on 20-Jan-2021 03:56:33 by Averia Light

Averia Light

Averia Light

All that being said, after going through pregnancy myself, the "fourth trimester" is such a pain in the ass and I would probably have like 10 kids if i could just transfer my kid from my womb to an artifical one for the first 3 months. Well, other than the whole overpopulation issue, haha.

I can't remember the source, but I specifically remember reading that the only reason women don't carry for 3 more months is simply due to the fact that we can't push out anything much bigger than 12 lbs and the infant isn't really ready anyway so if we could let them develop better in an artificial womb, perhaps that would be ideal.

20-Jan-2021 04:07:04

Averia Light

Averia Light

Ehhh, artificial wombs aren't scary to me at all.

The "scariest" thing that is the basis of most sci-fi shows is "machine learning" or "deep learning" where the computer seemingly seems to "learn" by its self - but, as far as I am aware, it is stil limited by the parameters with which it was created. Plus it is also limited by the physical robotic structure.

I admit that I go down that rabbit hole occasionally and it does scare me, but not because I think robots will kill me. It is that I know they will more than likely replace everyone.

20-Jan-2021 14:45:54

Aeroxmaster

Aeroxmaster

Posts: 8,010 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Icy Spring said :
I believe they technically aren't "born" until the amniotic fluid drains and they take their first breath, so brain stem development is artificially impaired until just before awakening. That way we can legally terminate the fetus for non-payment of services rendered.

Or so I've heard.

I hope you feel comfortable in your skin doing the work you do...

On an separate aside note, new forum game is available to play here

20-Jan-2021 16:30:05

Corder
Oct Member 2017

Corder

Posts: 27,892 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Aeroxmaster said :
On an separate aside note, new forum game is available to play here
I've seen it, but I'm hesitiating. :O
Life is like a camera: Just focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don't work out, take another shot !

20-Jan-2021 16:32:31

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top