Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Brigantia said :
All of the RIP threads almost seem like spam now.
Especially considering they're generally abandoned after less than a page of responses. Some of them only have 1 or 2 responses on them...

And there's no real guidelines for who a RIP thread can be about... I mean... if the guy who picks up my garbage dies... I could make a thread about him, even though no one here would probably know him (just an example. I don't actually know him either).
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Aug-2020 13:44:37

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
There also isn't any guidelines specifying how recent their death had to be.

For example, here are a bunch of people who died today... in history:

14 Augustus Caesar [Gaius Octavius], First Roman Emperor (27 BC-14 AD), dies at 75
472 Ricimer, Barbaars general, dies
1186 Geoffrey II, Duke of Brittany (b. 1158)
1245 Ramon Berenguer IV, Count of Provence (b. 1195)
1284 Alphonso, Earl of Chester, son of Edward I of England (b. 1273)
1297 Saint Louis of Toulouse, French Catholic bishop (b. 1274)
1493 Frederick III of Innsbruck, German Emperor (1440-1493), dies at 77
1580 Andrea Palladio [Andrea di Pietro della Gondola], Italian architect (Il Redentore, Venice), dies at 71
1601 Michael the Brave, ruler of Turkey, dies
1646 Alexander Henderson, Scottish theologian
1650 Abraham de Verwer, painter, buried at about 55
1654 Yom Tov Lipmann Heller, rabbi/author (Tosefot Yom Tov), dies
1657 Frans Snyders, Flemish painter of animals, dies at 77

https://www.onthisday.com/today/deaths.php
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

19-Aug-2020 13:47:57

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Brigantia said :
All of the RIP threads almost seem like spam now.
Especially considering they're generally abandoned after less than a page of responses. Some of them only have 1 or 2 responses on them...

And there's no real guidelines for who a RIP thread can be about... I mean... if the guy who picks up my garbage dies... I could make a thread about him, even though no one here would probably know him (just an example. I don't actually know him either).

That's a good point. There aren't many guidelines on it currently. I get the impression that it would be a bigger discussion topic if it were on a single thread, as opposed to several individual threads. People might learn more about notable individuals that way, or something.

As it stands, they all have a spammy sort of feel to them. I don't know why they aren't locked, as it's just a quick RIP _____ and then everyone proceeds to say RIP after that. There isn't a requirement where we have to include who they actually were, or what they did in life.

I'll edit to add that what they were known for in life would be a good addition to my now locked thread lol
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

19-Aug-2020 13:56:10 - Last edited on 19-Aug-2020 13:56:57 by Brigantia

Mrs Ana

Mrs Ana

Posts: 8,998 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
Someone should make a thread in W&F about it, and the community could vote on it. You know, since the forums ARE for the community, and not the curators.
I was thinking of doing this, but since Brigantia brought up the idea, I am not sure if they wish to go ahead with this. If not, let me know. I am willing and able to type up such thread ^_^ .

I too agree that the RIP threads should be centralized.

Edit: The thread has been created: Obituaries - Your Condolences .

19-Aug-2020 15:17:47 - Last edited on 19-Aug-2020 15:52:10 by Mrs Ana

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've been watching a few of them today. I can't seem to mimic it properly without being louder than usual, and it's uncomfortable for my vocal range it seems lol
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

19-Aug-2020 16:30:01

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top