Forums

Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

Posts: 1,200 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
We'll soon be sort-of getting another furry!

A couple who live nearby that we got to know through dog walking, well she died about 10 days ago. Really sad, she was only 52; it was pancreatic cancer. Anyway her husband works full time and was fretting about what would happen with their dog while he was out all day so I said he could come and stay here with us during the daytime.

It'll be a bit manic having 5 dogs again but I couldn't bear the thought of the poor bloke having to rehome his dog when he's just lost his wife, what a kick in the guts that would have been. He'd tried to find a dog walking/sitter service but there just aren't any locally :(

So in the next couple of days we'll be having him here for short periods to get him used to being with our unruly tribe before 'going live' .... thankfully he's not a large dog and at 8 yrs old I'm hoping he's lost his taste for chair legs etc.
You are a GOOD person Miss LaFeles ^_^

23-Jan-2020 11:46:41

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ha! There's many that would dispute that.

It's no biggie, he'll just disappear into the crowd soon enough. We don't have to feed or exercise him, the owner will still be doing all that and have him evenings/nights/weekends.

It's just that ... putting myself in his shoes. To lose your partner and then the pet that was beloved by both you you. I'd never sleep at night again if I stood idly by and let that happen when I can find a corner for another dog bed.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

23-Jan-2020 14:24:41

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Anyway, far more exciting was my trip earlier to the local town to stock up on birthday cards (ten of them coming up in February - wut??)

Wandered into a Charity Shop next to the card shop and picked up a very nice red leather handbag for £3, a lovely Cambric shirt for £1 and a pair of M&S needlecord trousers in pristine condition for £2.50 (purple).

Happy Bunny :D
Le Chat Guerrier

23-Jan-2020 14:43:49

Rooh
Jan
fmod Member

Rooh

Forum Moderator Posts: 40,589 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I love a charity shop bargain.

Bagged a (slightly leaky) De Longhi espresso machine for £20 the other week... found out how to fix it on t'internet, job done... and retail price was over £200 :D
Who's the cat that won't cop out when there's danger all about?

23-Jan-2020 15:18:09

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

FiFi LaFeles said :
Anyway, far more exciting was my trip earlier to the local town to stock up on birthday cards (ten of them coming up in February - wut??)

Wandered into a Charity Shop next to the card shop and picked up a very nice red leather handbag for £3, a lovely Cambric shirt for £1 and a pair of M&S needlecord trousers in pristine condition for £2.50 (purple).

Happy Bunny :D
I love charity shops. I resent paying full price for clothes. I can buy several new outfits for the price of one new one, and we have got seven charity shops in the small town where we live, so great for a blitz on them every now and again. You do get some pretty good label items too. My clothes get wrecked so quickly with doing the sheep and ponies so this is an ideal solution.

23-Jan-2020 15:21:28

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Sheep and Ponies too! You lucky, lucky thiiiiiiing !!! Am totally jealous.

Up until a few years back I did have a couple of Piebalds on rented land but looking after them got too much for me so relatives gave them a home. I manage to cadge a ride once in a while now, but it's a very sedate affair these days :D
Le Chat Guerrier

23-Jan-2020 16:45:51

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Rooh said :
I love a charity shop bargain.

Bagged a (slightly leaky) De Longhi espresso machine for £20 the other week... found out how to fix it on t'internet, job done... and retail price was over £200 :D

I'm always a bit nervous of buying electrical goods from charity shops. I'm sure they'd be OK but I'm equally sure something would go wrong and I'd blow the house up!

I confine myself to clothes (the things people get rid of, it's crazy) and bric-a-brac (the Ole Man groans "Oh good grief not another bloody vase/fancy plate/fruit bowl/knick-knack" heehee).
Le Chat Guerrier

23-Jan-2020 16:48:27

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

FiFi LaFeles said :
Sheep and Ponies too! You lucky, lucky thiiiiiiing !!! Am totally jealous.

:D
If this is too long- mods please remove .This is the story of Guiness one of our rescued sheep, it was an article published in an obscure sheep fancier magazine, similar to the ones on HIGNFY. (Guinness has gone now unfortunately) It was 13 years ago when someone gave me a lamb who was paralysed at the back through spinal abscess, and who the vets said would never walk again.
On the day that we took him to be put to sleep, as his hind legs were so completely lifeless, the vet nipped his back leg and he reacted, although they said it was a reaction to pain, not a sign that the use of his legs would return, but it was enough for us to say that we would not give up just yet, and keep trying.
Many visits to the vet, lots of different drugs, one a chemotherapy drug that could actually get into the spinal column to get rid of the infection, and very little improvement over the days, but there always was an infinitesimal change every week.
A supplement of bramble leaves every day seemed to bring down his temperature and combat the infection, and I would take him out every day with a towel underneath his belly to lift him up at the back so that he could have an hour or so eating grass and leaves of the cherry tree which he particularly liked.
Although we rent grazing for our rescued ponies, I kept the lamb (Guinness) in my porch on a bed of hay so that I could administer to him more easily, and as we live in a town you can imagine what odd looks I got from passers by when they saw me out with him on the patch of grass close by to us.
I also almost caused various traffic accidents when taking him to the vet in the back of a Mondeo as he grew bigger and they could see his head with horns looking out of the window.

23-Jan-2020 17:37:28 - Last edited on 23-Jan-2020 18:01:23 by Jenesiis

Jenesiis
Jan Member 2018

Jenesiis

We also took him weekly to hydrotherapy at a local vets. Not something I supposed he really enjoyed, I don`t think swimming is their thing, but he got used to it, and loved the hot air blower afterwards to dry his fleece, and came out looking like a giant puffball.
I used to put a waterproof mat down beside me in the evenings so that he could sit next to us and watch the tv.
I must admit I asked myself wether I was being fair to him, there was no guarantee that he would ever recover, the vets said definitely not, but I
still could not give up on him, and he never seemed particularly distressed, and would just lie on his bed watching the goings on out of the window by day.
Months passed and the gradual improvement meant that one day if we stood him up and supported him he could stand for a while, but not take any steps, however after each hydrotherapy session he would do just that little bit more.
About a year after we had him he could walk again, albeit he has got quite wonky legs, but he can run, he would headbutt my husband frequently, and chase our Doberman down the field.
It was a bit of wrench when we finally took him up to live at the farm where we keep the ponies, and the first night broke my heart as when he realised I was leaving him there on his own he lay down in the corner with his face to the wall, and wouldn`t eat. We got two female lambs to keep him company, and now he is the happiest sheep ever.
He had to be castrated and when I took him to the vet to have it done they would not believe it was the same sheep, they said there was no way he could have got better so a lot of love and a bit of miracle got him there.
He is so happy now, the three of them will always be pets, and we shall keep them for their natural lives.
I do not expect him to go on for as long as he might, his wonky legs might be a problem with arthritis in later years, but he has had such a good life for the last couple of years that does not really matter

23-Jan-2020 17:38:25

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Oh wow, that's a lovely story ^_^
Such commitment and care is so rarely seen. It really put a smile on my face.

I was interested to read about the bramble, I know of it's properties but have never conversed with anyone else who has ever used it!

One of my bitches has recurring interstitial cystitis which had always been resistant to treatment. Since putting her on a home-made turmeric paste about 8 months ago she's free of it and the antibiotics, anti-inflammatories et al are in the bin, along with their nasty side effects!
Le Chat Guerrier

23-Jan-2020 22:25:30

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top