Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Emperor Dupe

Emperor Dupe

Posts: 2,629 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
NexOrigin said :
We can't agree to disagree on what the rules are... >_<

No children, animals or terrorism.

Everything else is fine by Internet standards.

Toxic bait-like comments & behaviour should be strongly encouraged.
....... West & drop a single ore .

02-Jun-2019 21:47:45 - Last edited on 02-Jun-2019 22:17:48 by Emperor Dupe

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
He truly hasn't got a clue.

When he says: "Look around you; that's not what we see in this country..." the only bits of the country he's looking at are places like Hampstead, most of Surrey, Hampshire and so forth.

He conveniently forgets (or was never even aware of) the great unwashed masses who live in places such as Liverpool, Great Yarmouth and Hackney (in London, not too far as the crow flies from Parliament but I doubt he's ever been there).

He's extremely wealthy and hasn't got a clue how ordinary people live - never mind poor people. He really ought to shut up and stop embarrassing himself and everyone else.

I find him to be an odious individual.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

04-Jun-2019 01:48:47

Brigantia

Brigantia

Posts: 17,674 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Sounds like it.

Sorry I haven't been super active the last few days, the power went out the other day and I hadn't bothered to turn everything back on until today as I was setting something up for work.

How's everyone been?
Arrr! Only th' Devil an' I know th' where'bouts o' me treasure, an' th' one o' us who lives th' longes' should take i' all.

@CapnBrigantia

04-Jun-2019 02:46:29

NexOrigin

NexOrigin

Posts: 2,592 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Niyah said :
I wonder what Philip Hammond's definition of poverty is?
What is your definition of poverty? What is the UK's definition of poverty? How is poverty measured?

I assume you guys have all read the report which the article is based on, right?

Didn't think so. I don't blame you. It's 145 pages.

Apparently you can have hundreds of thousands of dollars in assets, and still be considered "in poverty". Apparently there are 1.4 million people "in poverty" that own their own homes outright.

Anyone with very low or no personal available resources would be judged to be in poverty,
despite the fact that they could be being supported by a partner, parent or other family member. So even if you're living in a million dollar mansion, driving a BMW, with thousands of dollars of spending cash in your pocket, if you personally aren't making any money because all of your needs are paid for by someone else, you're considered "in poverty".

Think about that. That means all children and all nonworking partners in a one-earner household are considered as being "in poverty".

If you're simply drawing a line at the bottom 35% of wages in the country, and claiming anything below that is "in poverty" regardless of how well those people are living, is that really an accurate representation of "poverty"?

If you're basing "poverty" as not having much money left over after paying debts, mortgage, bills, and household expenses, etc., is that really an accurate representation? Is someone who earns $200k a year, but spends the majority of it without saving anything actually "in poverty"?

Perhaps Phil simply disagrees with the changes to how poverty is now measured,

If you change how poverty is measured, you can drastically increase or decrease the percentage of people "in poverty".
I'm better than you, but that doesn't mean you're not great! :)

04-Jun-2019 09:44:23

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No, his take on life is far more narrow and his prejudice runs far deeper.
His various public (and not-so-private) statements and leanings during his political career point to him very much being a class-driven individual with no care, and little knowledge, of life outside his own intellectual and social demesne. He's made it to where he wants to be and has no time for 'losers'.

However, since I find talking about Politics generally something of a bore I'll leave it at that. Suffice to say I'd rather vote for the Monster Raving Loony Party than Spreadsheet Phil.
I approve of their idea to send Noel Edmonds to negotiate the Brexit deal.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

04-Jun-2019 10:55:55

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top