Off Topic Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Posts: 29,016 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
FiFi LaFeles said :
^

A classic example of ignorance, Dong.

Do you have any idea whatsoever what the word 'retarded' means in automotive terms? Nexus was very clear he was using it as an example with his vehicle.

Hint: it is a legitimate technical term that has been used since engines were invented. His language skills in using it are superior to yours in comprehending it.

There are plenty of other words you can use.

It's like the word fuck, it's a word that is frowned upon, it has a couple of meanings, one of them being something is up the duff - even if I used this expression in a public domain, say I was working at a hotel and the vacuum cleaner broke and I verbally said oh it's fucked, I will most probably get a warning or be sacked - it's a legitimate term, but it's not kosha and neither is the word retard in my eyes. Retard, fuck and all the other words you can think of are not kosha to all, people will take offense and that is ok.

Even the word cancer, when I hear people using the word at something that is cancerous I always think of the people around me - couldn't you think of a different terminology as it's a word that could be sensitive to someone.
If fat means flavour then I'm ******* delicious!

06-Dec-2018 11:16:12 - Last edited on 06-Dec-2018 11:19:23 by Dong U Dead

Team Skull
Aug Member 2008

Team Skull

Posts: 24,511 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Dong U Dead said :
FiFi LaFeles said :
^

A classic example of ignorance, Dong.

Do you have any idea whatsoever what the word 'retarded' means in automotive terms? Nexus was very clear he was using it as an example with his vehicle.

Hint: it is a legitimate technical term that has been used since engines were invented. His language skills in using it are superior to yours in comprehending it.

There are plenty of other words you can use.

It's like the word fuck, it's a word that is frowned upon, it has a couple of meanings, one of them being something is up the duff - even if I used this expression in a public domain, say I was working at a hotel and the vacuum cleaner broke and it verbally said oh it's fucked, I will most probably get a warning or be sacked - it's a legitimate term, but it's not kosha and neither is the word retard in my eyes. Retard, fuck and all the other words you can think of are not kosha to all, people will take offense and that is ok.

Event the word cancer, when I hear people using the word at something that is cancerous I always think of the people around me - couldn't you think of a different terminology as it's a word that could be sensitive to someone.

Team Skull said :

And there's people who use the word "autistic" in a derogatory matter as if to trivialize autism.

Yet autistic is a very legitimate term meaning "One who has the characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder".

Should I stop saying I am "autistic" because someone might get offended I said that very legitimate thing about myself?

Please. Just stop.
"Revenge...is like a rolling stone, which, when a man hath forced up a hill, will return upon him with a greater violence, and break those bones whose sinews gave it motion."- Jeremy Taylor

06-Dec-2018 11:19:08

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
No, Dong.

In Nexus' instance there was an entirely legitimate reason for using the word 'retarded' in relation to his vehicle. It is a genuine engineering term, widely used in that context.

Your ignorance of that is not an excuse for him to need to use an alternative word.

The refusal of other people to acknowledge that there is an alternative definition to the word cancer - which is entirely removed from the human disease - is not a valid excuse to censor the use of the word or to seek a more palatable substitute merely to safeguard their delicate sensitivities.

Context.

And there's no purpose in dragging swear words into the conversation. Cancer and retard(ed) are not expletives nor in the swear-word category.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

06-Dec-2018 11:33:36

Tuffty
Jan
fmod Member

Tuffty

Forum Moderator Posts: 152,160 Ruby Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I wasn't going to post here but I have too after reading some replies.

Firstly when I saw Nexus thread I jumped at the title. I'll be totally honest here and say Rooh edited it before I did. I thought about it for a while and then saw Rooh had edited it. I totally and fully support the title change and I'll stand by him on this.

I personally find the word hard to stomach for several reasons. Some of which I can tell you and some I can't tell you about for very personal reasons.

So here goes. Wish me luck as this is very hard to type out for me. :(

My Mother had cancer 3 times and in the end she died in 2005 due to shit doctors and nurses. We as a family were gutted because all the doctors told her she would be ok. They lied through their teeth to cover up a botched job removing a tumor. While removing it they burst it and didn't have the balls to tell my mam anything and kept saying she is fine. It wasn't until a year or so later when she got another lump. They then told her she had a few months left. We were gutted because of the lies and cover ups of the quacks. Now I didn't find this out until last year when my Dad was dying of cancer too. On his death bed he told me everything that happened to my mam and when I found out I was so angry I punched the hospital wall and the dint should still be there.

My Dad passed away last year due to complications of the treatment he had. He tried his very best to fight it but sadly he lost that fight. Just wiping tears away. So to see the word used on the forums really does hurt peoples feelings. I know Nexus meant no harm whatsoever and I totally get what he was after with the thread title but everybody has to understand seeing the word used brings back so many distressing memories of loved 1's we have lost or are losing.

Making this post has really got to me and I can feel the tears now. But I had to post telling you the reasons why I trully hate seeing that word anywhere on the Forums.

I need a tisue or 2. :(
Comprehensive Account Security
What do snowmen have for breakfast? Snowflakes! :P

06-Dec-2018 12:00:17

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

With the word fuck, I don't see the difference, it's an offensive word as retard and cancer or cancerous could be classed as offensive by some too.

Nexus Origin has every right to use that word, I can't stop him, I believe there are other words that can be used in its place. I may be nieve, I have never heard the word used in that term and I most probably never will again. I still feel retard is a word that is offensive.

06-Dec-2018 12:11:06

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

Awww Tuffty, what a sad, sad read - I am sorry your mum and dad, you and your family have gone through this - life certainly throws us doozies and you've had a huge one. I am sorry Tuffty, I am really sorry you have gone/going through this- my thoughts are with you.

06-Dec-2018 12:21:54

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Once again - retarded is not an offensive word in the CONTEXT Nexus used it. It is a legitimate engineering term. So far as I am aware (not being an Engineer) there isn't an alternative word to it's very specific technical meaning. Perhaps you can find one the technical terminology is offensive to you?

Cancer is not an offensive word. It describes either a disease or a pervading sinister influence.
The offence is with the reader, not the word.

If Nexus were to have said "Dong, you are cancer" then I'd have been right behind you saying hey, that's not on , that's offensive. But he didn't. He applied the word to an inanimate object, a set of beliefs, a lifestyle, and was clearly using the word in it's alternative and widely recognised definition.

But hey! Carry on being offended. It's your right, after all.
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

06-Dec-2018 12:24:38

Dong U Dead

Dong U Dead

That's okay Fifi, we differ on the matter - let it go!

I find the word offensive and that is ok.

No cancer is not an offensive word, but the way some use the word can make if offensive, that is like retard and many other words.

06-Dec-2018 12:31:59 - Last edited on 06-Dec-2018 12:36:50 by Dong U Dead

Quick find code: 23-24-312-63626936 Back to Top