Forums

Birdwatching

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've got a hedgehog who regularly ambles through the garden late at night. I always know he's there cuz the dogs start growling. They're terrified of him.

German Shep, Lurcher & 3 Terriers ~ 0
Disinterested Hedgehog ~ 1
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

09-Dec-2014 00:06:52

Bernadette
Dec Member 2021

Bernadette

Posts: 5,417 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
We used to have one visit our house in the town - our old dog hated hedgehogs with a vengeance (he found one eating his dinner once when he was a puppy) and would try and bite any that came in the garden. He never seemed to learn that it was a painful experience.
One man's Truth is another man's Lie

09-Dec-2014 00:50:28

FiFi LaFeles

FiFi LaFeles

Posts: 24,106 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Lol! Daft dog.

Got a glimpse this morning of The Dreaded Heron in the distance. Haven't seen the blighter for some time now but maybe they range further afield as the weather turns colder. Idk.

The pond fish are pretty torpid since the frosts have set in but I know they're safe from him should he decide to come a-callin' .... apart from netting the ponds I've installed a machine-gun nest in the bushes and if I ever just get a chance I will avenge the ghosts of the 40+ fish he consumed last year (including my favourite, Blue Boy) :(
Le Chat Guerrier

Bwian's Towel & Grief Shop

09-Dec-2014 09:42:10

Windsofnight
Mar Member 2017

Windsofnight

Posts: 6,634 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
While walking past a grove of bamboo from the top of one plant I thought I heard what sounded like 'yo there'. I'm like, who in heck is at the top of the bamboo shouting 'yo there' at those that passed by. On closer inspection, there sat an African Gray Parrot! Not native to this area so the bird was probably someones pet who 'flew the coop'.

Dialed Pet Control & hopefully if they are to able to catch it & the bird is micro-chipped, it can be returned to its owner.

You just never know what kinds of birds you will see when out walking.
WHERE IS MY INGAME RSOF TITLE?!

11-Dec-2014 17:27:49 - Last edited on 11-Dec-2014 17:28:17 by Windsofnight

Allar

Allar

Posts: 3,867 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I live in Eastern Europe, so we get plenty of birds that will be unfamiliar for those of you based in the UK, and conversely some of our biggest rarities will be common over there. I don't keep count of how many species I've seen/heard in total, but I have more or less all of our resident birds covered, anyway.

Some of the best sightings for me from this year would probably be Little Crake, Grey Wagtail, Common Quail and Serin (all irregular summer visitors/vagrants here). My best find of all time would probably be hearing two Common Nightingales singing at the same location when the whole species has been sighted in this country perhaps 20 times in history and its breeding grounds are far away from here. We have Thrush Nightingale, which is extremely common.

I mainly like listening to birds and identify most of them by their calls, as I lack the necessary equipment (and patience) to watch them properly, and I've also tried recording some bird songs this summer, you can find a few of them if you look for allaraz on soundcloud. Some of them may be interesting to you.

This autumn I've been more preoccupied with photographing and identifying mushroom species, raking up photos of over 150 major species in a short time, without even attempting to go for the smaller ones that may require microscopic identification (yet). Nature field guides were among the first books I picked up as a child, so it all comes natural to me.

12-Dec-2014 10:34:19 - Last edited on 12-Dec-2014 11:24:56 by Allar

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for posting :) I've a few more resident species to see yet. I try and see a couple more each year.

Some will require me to travel as they are only found in certain areas, but I'll see them eventually. A holiday to scotland at some point for white tailed eagles ptarmigan and crested *** is in order I think.

I'm starting to look into bird photography a bit more as well as watching. I bought a camera and adapter to do some digiscoping my results from in the field were a bit poor, but I didn't get chance to do at ideal times of the day it was going on for late evening in the summer so light was fading, and I'd not done any digiscoping in earnest before combined with a new camera that I wasn't sure of how far I could push it.

I've mostly been practicing on the moon one of my problems is that while my tripod isn't the cheapest it isn't capable of holding the weight by itself so I need to get a balance plate to even it out as when combined with the moon moving in the sky I was having to spend most of my time trying to compensate for all of them together before taking a shot and then having to plan for the 10s timer which is time for the moon to move some more but my end results were good enough for me so I was fairly happy.

You only really need a pair of bins and a scope both of which are reasonably priced second hand.

The only difference between the cheaper and expensive ones are bit brighter and a bit sharper, but unless you buy cheap non brand it won't effect whether or not you can tell what the bird is I wouldn't imagine.

12-Dec-2014 17:20:39

Allar

Allar

Posts: 3,867 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I still use my trusty 1980 Moscow Olympics binoculars that do a decent job assuming the target isn't too far, but pretty useless for identifying waders up from bird-watching towers. Luckily I've seen them all up close on the shores. I can't really afford to upgrade my equipment at this time, nor am I particularly worried about it, but perhaps that will change in the future.

12-Dec-2014 17:38:10 - Last edited on 12-Dec-2014 17:38:46 by Allar

Wilf
Jul Member 2019

Wilf

Posts: 17,032 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
That's partly why I bought a scope: when on a reserve and you can't physically get closer and you know something is there, but through bins all you can see is a shape
and you know in your head it is something uncommon/rare.

Being 5mins from an optics shop I couldn't resist playing with the expensive ones shame I couldn't afford the best though.

12-Dec-2014 19:43:22

Quick find code: 23-24-1-64115821 Back to Top