Forums

Imcando Magic Can't Melt… Thread is locked

Quick find code: 185-186-657-66286833

Brandon928

Brandon928

Posts: 97 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The Imcando Magic Can't Melt Elder Rune Boots “achievement” name has to go.

Coming up on 22 years since The 9/11 Attacks and this like mockery tidbit that references insane Q insurrectionist conspiracy nonsense is in RuneScape as an achievement?

Absolutely insane.

The name is highly highly offensive to all that lost people on that day, it’s not a “cute” or “witty” reference, it needs to go.

Change the name.

10-Sep-2023 02:29:56

Brandon928

Brandon928

Kings Abbot said :
The only people it's offensive to are the people who believe the conspiracy...

Ok well that argument doesn’t make any sense because it’s absolutely 100% offensive and I certainly don’t buy into any conspiracy.

9/11 is global tragedy, not an “achievement” and the fact that this game references it as such is sickening.

How would the Brits who made this game feel about an “achievement” for when you PK 22 players with Chinchompas called “The Manchester Arena?”

Because this is in the same vein.

10-Sep-2023 15:19:57

Kings Abbot

Kings Abbot

Posts: 10,747 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
It makes fun of the people who think the tragedy was orchestrated by the government.
I doubt people who lost someone in the attacks will actually like it when Jagex removes a reference that mocks idiots turning it into a conspiracy.
Kings Eastwood in
THE GLOOP , THE BWIAN , and THE WIKI
music by Trewavio Morricone

YOU-KNOW-WHO
GO
YOU-KNOW-WHAT
YOURSELF!

11-Sep-2023 17:18:30

Brandon928

Brandon928

Kings Abbot said :
It makes fun of the people who think the tragedy was orchestrated by the government.
I doubt people who lost someone in the attacks will actually like it when Jagex removes a reference that mocks idiots turning it into a conspiracy.

I like how you know how we feel, thanks for gaslighting O_o

Fact is, it only mocks the victims and their families. Acknowledging a conspiracy at all is not humorous, it’s not witty, it doesn’t honor the memory of the victims, and it doesn’t make any of their family members feel good.

This is a shameful name for an “achievement” and Jagex needs to do better.

11-Sep-2023 18:28:11

Afgncaap
Jan Member 2022

Afgncaap

Posts: 18 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You are holding a British game studio with British content writers to American standards here.
This achievement is very much in keeping with a mocking British sense of humour which people from many other countries enjoy as well.

You made a point that it is a global tragedy... however, while the rest of the world can sympathise and mourn, and most countries joined in on the global war on terror, it was still an American tragedy.

Should every game that includes dropping nukes have to remove that because it is a reminder to the Japanese of what happened in WW2?

Should games like Counter-Strike be banned because the terrorists can win?

12-Sep-2023 09:30:21

Kings Abbot

Kings Abbot

Posts: 10,747 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Brandon928 said :
Kings Abbot said :

I like how you know how we feel, thanks for gaslighting O_o

Fact is, it only mocks the victims and their families. Acknowledging a conspiracy at all is not humorous, it’s not witty, it doesn’t honor the memory of the victims, and it doesn’t make any of their family members feel good.

This is a shameful name for an “achievement” and Jagex needs to do better.

Here's the situation, and how I would react:

* Tragedy happens, people lose lives and others lose these people.
* Idiots launch wacko theory that the government was behind it, with "proof" that is just completely wrong
** To me, I'd hate those idiots with every fiber of my body, since they don't seem to respect the people who lots their lives/loved ones
* Internet starts laughing at the idiots, reflecting their phrase 'jEt FuEl cAn'T mElT sTeTl EeEmE' back at them
** To me, I cheer the internet on, knowing I'm not alone.
* A game company uses the phrase in their game, also mocking the idiots.
** To me, I tip my hat, knowing that corporate entities also support the belief that the conspirarcy theorists are idiots.
* The reference is removed from the game
** What? Do they suddenly believe in that ridiculous conspiracy theory? Are they defending them?

I fail to see how this mocks those who lost someone in the tragedy?
Kings Eastwood in
THE GLOOP , THE BWIAN , and THE WIKI
music by Trewavio Morricone

YOU-KNOW-WHO
GO
YOU-KNOW-WHAT
YOURSELF!

12-Sep-2023 16:22:06

Brandon928

Brandon928

Afgncaap said :
You are holding a British game studio with British content writers to American standards here.
This achievement is very much in keeping with a mocking British sense of humour which people from many other countries enjoy as well.

You made a point that it is a global tragedy... however, while the rest of the world can sympathise and mourn, and most countries joined in on the global war on terror, it was still an American tragedy.

Should every game that includes dropping nukes have to remove that because it is a reminder to the Japanese of what happened in WW2?

Should games like Counter-Strike be banned because the terrorists can win?

Counter Strike is a game with nonspecific/generic scenarios, it’s not even remotely comparable to what I’m talking about.

Neither are the strategic nuclear bombings of legitimate military targets during a World War.

Jagex referencing 9/11 as an achievement is not “humor” and I don’t see their “humor” being applied equally, so it kind of makes it clear that Jagex endorses 9/11.

All they have to do is change the name to something that doesn’t consider a global tragedy as an achievement.

Or maybe they should apply such “humor” equally? Maybe by adding my aforementioned suggestion for an achievement called “The Manchester Arena” that you get after defeating 22 players in PvP using Chinchompas.

Or perhaps an achievement during the quest Underground Pass, like if you make it through the pass without taking any damage you earn an achievement called “Better than Diana.”

How about that? Seems fair, right?

12-Sep-2023 16:30:07

Afgncaap
Jan Member 2022

Afgncaap

Posts: 18 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Where something crazy like these conspiracy theories are in the zeitgeist they are a target for sarcastic humour.

There is a difference between "I am offended by this" and "This is offensive" and while others here are giving reasons and explanations of why you might be offended but this is not offensive, you keep resorting back to "I don't see it".
If Jagex were to redact any humour that someone is offended by there would be no humour left in the game as everything can be a trigger for someone.

You are still pushing the "any mention means they support terrorism" even though it has been extensively pointed out that they are mocking the conspiracy theories rather than the event itself.

+1 for an achievement
based around King Lathas ordering the death of King Tyras in Regicide though. Something like "The catapult accident was ordered by the king" or something.

That is some good sarcastic humour.

13-Sep-2023 00:51:00

Quick find code: 185-186-657-66286833 Back to Top