Forums

Disk Appreciation Thread

Quick find code: 17-18-165-66220558

B o

B o

Posts: 1,513 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Weather Boy9 - Wow that story is really similar to mine - the first disk I bought was about 5mil. I think the price was around the same price as Easter eggs at the time, but cheaper than H'ween masks or Santa, which were around 9-10m or something like that. While I didn't end up buying as many disks at 60 (I wish lol), I still remember how special it felt to buy the item - the feeling of knowing that even a nooby player like me had finally been able to afford a rare, one of the few items that never would be released into the game again.

Also @zorb
Wow I haven't heard of Krimandy1 before - how many pumpkins did they have?

I know that Le Me at one point stated publicly that he used to have 150 disks (but now, less). A few months ago I asked him about what he thought of disk, and asked if he was selling any since I wanted to buy from him. He wasn't selling any of his at the time, unfortunately. I actually messaged him in game after I made this thread asking him to offer his comment -on what he thought of the disk. My guess is that he is lowkey a big disk fan!!

When I told him about this thread he responded by saying "lmao". Followed by "busy with work atm but I'll check it out later". Hahahaha - so i hope he comments when he is free.

I've also heard there was someone called A C I D Y or Acidy (can't remember how it was spelt) who had one of the largest disk collections in the game, but not sure how many exactly. I'm not sure if they are active playing also.

@SirJosh

I'm not too sure, since I've never been one for speculating on numbers left in the game - there are surely a lot which are inactive though, considering it is the 3rd most old discontinued item. I've heard from other disk fans they personally know / have heard of others with a large stack. I'm not sure how reliable the sources are, so I'll let others comment about it if they know better to guess and speculate on numbers.

01-Jul-2021 01:36:33 - Last edited on 02-Jul-2021 01:13:05 by B o

InLightOf
Nov Member 2023

InLightOf

Posts: 87 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Give Disk of returning the ability to change into a head slot item with the ability to revert back to a place holder. It can still be able to sell/trade (for nostalgic reasons of course ;) )

It could look like a UFO/ alien artefact spinning/hovering above ones head

This way it can actually get noticed and is more attractive to more players who love rares.

Support?
”Knowledge is worth more than any amount of money” -InLightOf
“If you think the Devil is scary wait til you meet God<3,”~~~INRI~~~

01-Jul-2021 01:37:23

B o

B o

Wow @InLightOf that is an incredible idea that I 1000% support. I've heard another disk fan also suggest something almost the same in the past - by making the Disk be able to be worn as a 'Halo' type item.

I really love the idea, and to be honest, I think that is a plausible possibility given that with the recent 'lockout player' incident, those players received cosmetic overrides called 'Disk of Returning' but were thrown ranged weapons I believe. I think it is a great idea that could reignite interest in such an old, classic, and iconic rare. I'd really like to hear what others think about this idea/ possibility too.

01-Jul-2021 01:53:01 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2021 13:34:55 by B o

B o

B o

I recently spoke to a disk fan that was kind enough to reach out and chat to me about disks after they saw this thread. They told me that they would prefer to remain anonymous and keep certain details, like the number of disks they owned, a secret to the public (For privacy concerns)

They were happy for me to share certain parts of our conversation with the fellow disk fans on this thread, and I can personally confirm that they are a reliable source:

- They thought it is hard to estimate the number of disks in the game - it really depends on how you define 'active disks' in game. Their estimate was 1-2k in the game, assuming the owners came back (Note: This is purely speculative as all guesses are - no manip intended)

- It was believed that Acidy had 300+ disks in their collection - Acidy was an up and coming mercher during the 'trade limit days'. At the time, disks and all edibles were a very popular item and used by many as a store of wealth. They were primarily used for junk trading purposes to bypass trade limits

- After the trade limits was removed, all edible items crashed significantly, much to this players disappointment. When I asked by how much they crashed, they responded, and I quote: "A [censored] ton lol"

- After seeing the recent cosmetic 'disks of returning' for lockout players, this player felt it was a shame the original disk had no update for it alongside these new cosmetic items

- In their opinion, disks are terribly underappreciated, and it's a shame that Jagex does not acknowledge that. The fact that even some treasure hunter tokens are valued at more than the disk currently is a testament to this

- Finally, they mentioned the 20th anniversary for the Disk is actually this very month, it was released on 12th of July 2001

Those were the key points of our conversation. A huge thanks again to this player for taking the time to chat with me. It was a pleasure to speak to such a friendly and knowledgeable fan of the Disk!

01-Jul-2021 17:18:47

slayerdgfarm

slayerdgfarm

Posts: 77 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
B o said :

- After seeing the recent cosmetic 'disks of returning' for lockout players, this player felt it was a shame the original disk had no update for it alongside these new cosmetic items

Old disks should definitely see the same type of cosmetic override + the ability to teleport to the old black hole. Like this new disk of returning can.

01-Jul-2021 19:05:46 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2021 19:06:18 by slayerdgfarm

InLightOf
Nov Member 2023

InLightOf

Posts: 87 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
@Bo, is your anonymous Disk expert able to disclose if they like my suggestion?

Glad you support it <3

I’m extremely curious to see what the OG’s think? any Disk experts out there?

Tuffty? It does have a nice tale :p
”Knowledge is worth more than any amount of money” -InLightOf
“If you think the Devil is scary wait til you meet God<3,”~~~INRI~~~

01-Jul-2021 20:09:33 - Last edited on 01-Jul-2021 20:18:32 by InLightOf

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
B o said :

I really love the idea, and to be honest, I think that is a plausible possibility given that with the recent 'lockout player' incident, those players received cosmetic overrides called 'Disk of Returning' but were thrown ranged weapons I believe. I think it is a great idea that could reignite interest in such an old, classic, and iconic rare. I'd really like to hear what others think about this idea/ possibility too.

I actually think might be a reason for this not to happen as it might devalue said override.

Plus ppl have been asking for weildable edibles for a long time yet it doesnt seem like jagex wants to do that as they havent done it.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

01-Jul-2021 23:45:57

Draco Burnz
Dec Member 2011

Draco Burnz

Posts: 79,296 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
slayerdgfarm said :

Old disks should definitely see the same type of cosmetic override + the ability to teleport to the old black hole. Like this new disk of returning can.

Nope.

They are only there to show you were around when they were introduced. If you were one of the ppl that got one then

So be happy you got one at all.
Draco Burnz
Anime Fanatic
Defender of the logical

01-Jul-2021 23:47:43

Quick find code: 17-18-165-66220558 Back to Top