Forums

General Forum Chat Lounge Thread is sticky

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Posts: 2,058 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
At least the forums are working for me. I cannot access the game since today's update.

I can get to the lobby but beyond that I just get a black screen.

I had no problems logging in until today. I tried rebooting my system and I deleted the cache. It made no difference at all.

Everything was fine when I last logged out at around 4am game time this morning.

This definitely seems like it's on Jagex's end, not mine. I just wonder what else I could try. I think I'll check out the tech support section. I'm sure other players must be having the same issue I am.

Oh, and somebody mentioned songs. Yeah, I should check those out too.

Kat
I've been putting out fire with gasoline! ^_^

Kat's Diary

30-Mar-2021 01:28:11

Trewavas
Jun Member 2014

Trewavas

Posts: 28,499 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Deleting the cache/rebooting is a good first-step to take.

You could also have a look at the Compatibility issues article, which contains additional steps such as updating your operating system, graphics drivers, or even booting the client in compatibility mode. Compatibility mode might harm your performance, but it could negate the issue. Even if it doesn't help, checking that you have the latest updates/drivers and installing them if necessaery will benefit your system as a whole.

It might also be worth uninstalling your client to install the latest version. Agreeably, it's a bit similar to the 'off and on again' technique, but it might help.

Here's som additonal articles that might help:
How to flush DNS cache
Common Connection Solutions
Game Crashes

If the articles do not resolve your problem, the 'Common Connection Issues' and 'Game Crashes' articles contain a 'Contact Us' button that you can use to raise a ticket with Jagex. The dedicated team might be able to assist you further.

Regarding songs, there's a link in my signature. ;)

30-Mar-2021 01:48:41 - Last edited on 30-Mar-2021 01:56:10 by Trewavas

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Ok, well compatibility mode got me into the game.

It is very laggy.

I hope this just temporary. Playing with this poor performance is not much fun.

Thank you for your help, Trewavas. I think I'm done for now. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Kat's Diary

30-Mar-2021 02:39:41

Trewavas
Jun Member 2014

Trewavas

Posts: 28,499 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You're more than welcome.

Yes, compatibility mode certainly isn't ideal. It appears to be a bit of a 'mixed bag'; it has worked fine for me in the past, but others have complained of performance issues.

The main thing is that you're able to at least access the game. Hopefully, you can use the other steps as well as any additional help from your thread to help sort the problem out.

*Edited a typo

30-Mar-2021 02:48:17 - Last edited on 30-Mar-2021 16:06:53 by Trewavas

Aslon Dak

Aslon Dak

Posts: 10,616 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kat Stryke said :
At least the forums are working for me. I cannot access the game since today's update.

I can get to the lobby but beyond that I just get a black screen.

I had no problems logging in until today. I tried rebooting my system and I deleted the cache. It made no difference at all.

Everything was fine when I last logged out at around 4am game time this morning.

This definitely seems like it's on Jagex's end, not mine. I just wonder what else I could try. I think I'll check out the tech support section. I'm sure other players must be having the same issue I am.

Oh, I can promise you that other players were getting black screened as a result of Monday's update. It affected me, and others who I know as well.

I agree with what Trewavas posted in regards to deleting your cache and rebooting your computer being good actions to take. It's a good idea to take these measures from time to time as a policy of maintenance. They can also help when these situations come along.

Personally, I wouldn't bother uninstalling and reinstalling the NXT client. Others have posted that they tried this, and it did not help. Also, Compatibility Mode is just horrible. I would advise against switching to it unless you absolutely cannot get either of the Normal Modes to work for you. As it sounds like you experienced for yourself, CM can get you playing, but game performance suffers terribly. I believe Trewavas is correct to say this game mode works better for some players more than others. It is for good reason I refer to Compatibility Mode as Super Laggy Mode.

Here's all I did to beat the black screen. I deleted my cache, rebooted my laptop (I also run Windows 10), and let the cache rebuild. While in the lobby, I dropped my graphics setting to Minimum (under Options). This let me play fine. The in-game graphics were basic, but there was no lag. I have now raised my graphics to Low. There is slight lag and I got disconnected twice.
Aslon Dak: Still 'Scaping after 19 years!
You can buy XP. You can't buy experience.
Save the RSOF! 278-279-95-66293045

30-Mar-2021 22:02:51

Aslon Dak

Aslon Dak

Posts: 10,616 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Kat Stryke said :

Kat

Yes I did, and yes you should.

Trewavas gave you the link to his thread, which we try to keep on the first page of General.

Enjoy, and welcome to RuneScape! :)
Aslon Dak: Still 'Scaping after 19 years!
You can buy XP. You can't buy experience.
Save the RSOF! 278-279-95-66293045

30-Mar-2021 22:08:03

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Aslon Dak said :
Here's all I did to beat the black screen. I deleted my cache, rebooted my laptop (I also run Windows 10), and let the cache rebuild. While in the lobby, I dropped my graphics setting to Minimum (under Options). This let me play fine. The in-game graphics were basic, but there was no lag. I have now raised my graphics to Low. There is slight lag and I got disconnected twice.

Thank you! I lowered my graphics setting to Min, then logged into the game with no problem. While logged in, I switched to Low and everything is still good. No lag and no disconnections.

I appreciate the assistance.

Kat

Kat's Diary

31-Mar-2021 05:45:03

Kat Stryke

Kat Stryke

Mrs Ana said :
Kat Stryke said :
Thank you kindly, Mrs Ana. I took a look around the forums before I could post here. Seems to be a welcoming place for sure.
You will enjoy it here for sure ;) !

Aslon Dak said :
Kat Stryke said :

Kat

Yes I did, and yes you should.

Trewavas gave you the link to his thread, which we try to keep on the first page of General.

Enjoy, and welcome to RuneScape! :)

Thank you all. See you around.

Kat

Kat's Diary

31-Mar-2021 05:49:30

Quick find code: 14-15-770-65953105 Back to Top