Forums

The bot problem is a joke

Quick find code: 14-15-633-66284328

Ayaney

Ayaney

Posts: 6 Bronze Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Recently made a thread about the bot problem. Appearntly that falls into "naming and shaming".

When you see someone named "mr x 120", "mr x 121", "mr x 122" etc - all characters, standing near 10 others lvl 3s. Every character have lvl 1 in everything except the thing they are doing (mining). Every character is wearing the same bronze dagger. Mining the same rock.
You are stunned when you hear the following from "community posters":

"Just report them and Jagex will ban" - They are making accounts faster than I can actually report them. Seen same named characters after 24 hours. (I notice this because you get the "Do you want to ignore this person"? after the first time you report them.)

To report you click:
-Rightclick person
-Examine
-Reason

You do that 20 times for 20 characters. What's the incentive to report? I get nothing out of it, I'm asked to do the developers job for them.

Does bots increase profits for the developers?
Why is there no "Report bot hotspot" feature or something like that. Can't believe anti-botting is still so far behind all these years later. What's the point of grinding materials when someone is just gonna use their 30 bots to completely saturate the market?

Struggling to find a reason why to still play. Had a lot of good memories playing this game but you kinda feel neglected as a fan and a player.

29-Jul-2023 07:11:25

Archaeox
Dec Member 2011

Archaeox

Posts: 53,469 Emerald Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Jagex ban literally millions of bots.

But as Tuffty told you last in your locked thread, if you ban a bot, the owner just creates a new one.

If you can design a better system for detecting and removing bots, you will make a fortune from every games company out there.

The only way to end the bot problem is for PLAYERS TO STOP BUYING GOLD.
~~~~ Just another victim of the ambient morality ~~~~

~~ Founder of the Caped Carousers quest cape clan ~~

!! Slava Ukraini - heroyam slava !!

29-Jul-2023 08:02:10

Ayaney

Ayaney

Saying it won't go away til players stop buying gold, is like saying the drug dealers wont go away til users stop using drugs.

But if I spot someone with the name x01, x02, x03, x04, x05 in the same area - all have same stats and items. Doing the same thing - How the hell can they not create a system that detects that stuff? Seems like a joke.

29-Jul-2023 08:52:19

Ayaney

Ayaney

Edit: can now see the bots I reported yesterday, at the same spot, doing the same thing.

Better to put money and effort into creating stuff like Necromancy huh? O_o O_o

29-Jul-2023 08:52:52 - Last edited on 29-Jul-2023 08:53:36 by Ayaney

Kings Abbot

Kings Abbot

Posts: 10,794 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
You can't name and shame since it's just your word. Just like I could make a thread to accuse you of scamming (which would most liekly be false) out of some kind of revenge (not sharing a resource or something).
These could just be alts someone uses, certainly if there's some kind of numbering used in the name. I've seen someone with plenty of 'em. The only people who can actually determine them as bots is Jagex.

Also, it's not needed to report them all. Jagex already finds most of them, and reporting a couple that could have slipped through the net will add the place to some kind of heat map. When they look into them, they'll ban them all.
They also don't ban immediately, otherwise the botters could find out what triggered the systems and circumvent it. At least Jagex now has the upper hand.
Kings Eastwood in
THE GLOOP , THE BWIAN , and THE WIKI
music by Trewavio Morricone

YOU-KNOW-WHO
GO
YOU-KNOW-WHAT
YOURSELF!

29-Jul-2023 09:20:33

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,761 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Nowadays, you're much more likely to find legitimate players playing on multiple accounts simultaneously, than you are to find many bots in the same area simultaneously.

If they have very similar names, it's more likely to be a legitimate player.

If they have a random name such as "crayon 31 park" it's more likely to be a bot.

Sometimes it's impossible for us to determine which is which - only Jagex's bot detection systems will be able to fathom the difference. As Kings Abbot said, you only have to report one or two in a particular area for it to be added to the detection heat map. Jagex's systems will do the rest and investigate all other activity in that area - hence catching the rest of them if they are bots.

~A~

29-Jul-2023 12:51:57

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,761 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Ayaney said :
Edit: can now see the bots I reported yesterday, at the same spot, doing the same thing.

Better to put money and effort into creating stuff like Necromancy huh? O_o O_o
Bots will not be banned immediately after reporting.

It takes time to ensure they are not legitimate players, and if they are banned instantly, it gives the bot creators more knowledge on how the anti-bot systems work. Bots tend to be banned in batches, whether it be days, weeks or months later.

You have to remember that there are other ways to disrupt bots, such as removing content from their banks, tracking where the resources/gp goes, and tracing IP addresses of the serial offenders.

~A~

29-Jul-2023 12:55:24

Mini JIT
Oct Member 2014

Mini JIT

Posts: 2,211 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I agree with A COLE above and say they might just be alt accounts feeding a main account with mining supplies or just selling for profit.

Its common and there were loads when divination came out to gather and make charge packs for mains.

Loads when archaeology came out to gather materials for main accounts.

I am sure they will be ones with the new skill making runes for main accounts.

There are no rules against it and if they are paying membership then Jagex will just encourage it as always.

Even if they on f2p it makes the online player numbers look higher than they really are, rather than a failing game.

29-Jul-2023 16:23:38

Elion Z

Elion Z

Posts: 541 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mini JIT said :
I agree with A COLE above and say they might just be alt accounts feeding a main account with mining supplies or just selling for profit.

Its common and there were loads when divination came out to gather and make charge packs for mains.

Loads when archaeology came out to gather materials for main accounts.

I am sure they will be ones with the new skill making runes for main accounts.

There are no rules against it and if they are paying membership then Jagex will just encourage it as always.

Even if they on f2p it makes the online player numbers look higher than they really are, rather than a failing game.
I've heard the new runes are just for incantations, which are like a 5-10% for high score racers. The Necromancy combat itself does not require runes. There will be lots of bots and alts, but they might just afk Rituals for secondaries.

With a lot of returning players, lets hope its not too laggy.

29-Jul-2023 16:29:47

Quick find code: 14-15-633-66284328 Back to Top