Forums

Classify BGH as Skill Boss

Quick find code: 74-75-522-66231040

doublejk2000
Nov Member 2019

doublejk2000

Posts: 164 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Now that we have seen that something like a 'Skill Boss' exists I think it is worth to think if any other content in the game fits this pattern.

And I think there is some other 'Skill Boss' - it is 'Big game hunter'.

Why? Because:
- It is a massive creature (9 different ones) and it is even possible that an encounter has 2 or 3 of them up against you
- It has a complex skill scheme to complete
- It features multiple high level skill requirements and multiple skills are needed to complete the encounter
- When being inattentive for a short time it is very like to fail the encounter
- It features valuable high level items (dragon mattocks, terrasaur maul (in pieces), dino eggs) and other lesser drops

What do you think about it?

And also do you think there are even more 'Skill Bosses'?

01-Oct-2021 17:50:39 - Last edited on 01-Oct-2021 17:55:40 by doublejk2000

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah - BGH sorta felt like the first skilling boss and I don't know why they haven't used the term for those back then already - afaik they even added some kind of internal tracker for maul pieces, should they ever become part of some kind of collection log. But other than those there isn't really a skill boss concept. Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

02-Oct-2021 04:39:14 - Last edited on 02-Oct-2021 04:39:48 by Rikornak

Vengeance of
Mar Member 2018

Vengeance of

Posts: 2,372 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I think the reason BGH hasn't been retroactively turned into a skilling boss is that it's not really a "boss fight". Sure, there's a health bar. But unlike Croesus, who attacks with a variety of abilities that drain your stats and cause rot, the dinosaurs have no way to harm you (aside from stepping on you during their pre-baked walking routes). They're really more of a single-player minigame than a fight. I know the line between "skilling boss" and "minigame where the goal is to kill a specific creature" is blurry, but I could see why Jagex wouldn't consider BGH to be in the same category as Croesus or any of the OSRS skilling bosses.

02-Oct-2021 05:09:17

Rikornak
Oct Member 2013

Rikornak

Posts: 9,169 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Umm - wouldn't say that would be an excluding criteria at all.

Seeing Tempoross in OS - he basically can't hurt you at all either - outside of destroying your supplies and/or secondary tools. While it certainly is highly harmful to your personal performance (and following up to your loot received), you can't fail as an individual there - only globally as a team if that happens to too many players.

The only actual difference between BGH and the various other skilling bosses is, that you have to take it on alone. But then again there are real combat bosses forcing team sizes as well. Is massability the criteria to define a skilling boss then?
Improvements: Tooltip / (F2P) QoL v2
Quick Fixes: Invention

03-Oct-2021 05:03:03 - Last edited on 03-Oct-2021 05:04:13 by Rikornak

doublejk2000
Nov Member 2019

doublejk2000

Posts: 164 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
when referring to bosses i would count anything that increases the count with War from the 'War's Retreat'.

massability would be something current bosses also do not require. i know at least one (barrows brother) which can only be played in single player mode.

btw: BGH could possibly be turned into a multiplayer thing. but that would be a different topic

03-Oct-2021 11:29:25

A  Cole
Nov Member 2003

A  Cole

Posts: 14,682 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Big Game Hunter fits the definition of a boss fight much more than Croesus does. Croesus is more of a minigame than Big Game Hunter is. How Big Game Hunter has not been classified as boss content already is beyond my comprehension.

This is the easiest support I've ever given.

~A~

03-Oct-2021 14:31:54

Quick find code: 74-75-522-66231040 Back to Top