Forums

Tutorial Island Feedback

Quick find code: 74-75-381-66261099

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 559 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
GhostlyBard said :
As daft as Davendale is (honestly where’s TawnyOwldale), it’s actually a more streamlined experience, and suits the purpose of a basic tutorial quite well.

That said if players are truly meant to begin fresh start worlds on an equal footing, then like you mentioned they should all share the same tutorial. If it’s to be tutorial island then I’d hope the other improvements you listed get looked at as well.

Hey, thanks for your feedback. Admittedly I haven’t actually played the Davendale tutorial, as it wasn’t of much interest until now. I watched a brief playthrough on a developer live stream a while ago and then kind of forgot about it.

One of my thoughts was that with Fresh Start Worlds specifically targeting returning players as well as new ones, Tutorial Island might be more likely to make a positive impression due to its familiarity. It would make sense for the Davendale experience to be more efficient and condensed, though.

While I understand that mobile users tend to expect a different experience from those who play on PC, I was kind of disappointed when Davendale was announced, as it seemed like a missed opportunity to make improvements to Tutorial Island which I think could have been impactful.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

04-Sep-2022 03:24:59

Seasons Past

Seasons Past

Posts: 559 Steel Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Update 10/1/2022

Seasons Past said :
Hi everyone,

As I did not end up making a new account to playtest the tutorial before Fresh Start Worlds launched, I’m going to give an update on where I am with this.

It seems like a lot of players have been concerned over the possibility of adverse effects relating to the economy and/or personal wealth. If I’m honest, I don’t really share these concerns. My reasoning is that there is already so much wealth in the game that I don’t really see how any influx of resources from FSW could remain significant for the overall economy in the long term.

What concerns me is that there seems to be a contradiction between the stated goals of the update (i.e. increasing the number of regular players in the game) and what many of the targeted players (i.e. new and returning players) are likely to prefer in a game.

The first thing I’d like to discuss is the competition aspect. I think something might have gotten lost or missed somehow, because I don’t think competitive races with hiscores and juicy prizes and glittery screenshots for bragging rights really mean anything to the kinds of players who enjoyed this game - and left it - a long time ago.

I’ve come to understand that gimmicks such as Fresh Start Worlds, Yak Track, Treasure Hunter, and many others that have been tried over the years aren’t what will get players to come back and stay here. At the very least, not for the right reasons.

With the recent criticism of the combat system I’ve read, it seems to me that RuneScape’s long-standing issue of retaining new players cannot be fixed with marketing. The issue is not the target audience. The issue is the quality of the game.

Until very basic, fundamental problems are seriously addressed, I do not have high expectations for any update aiming to lure more players.
Spirit of Forinthry ~ Runecrafting: Magic Armour ~ F2P Extensions ~ Dragon Slayer improvements ~ New Player Experience

02-Oct-2022 00:03:28

Dilbert2001
Jun Member 2006

Dilbert2001

Posts: 30,176 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Evidently FSW is doing well, already with over 26.5k new paying members joining RS3 in not even a week.

I don't see anybody having any problems with Tutorial Island. Simple reason actually, long lapsed players have already gone through Tutorial Island. They don't need any guide on it actually. When we start a new character, we are always presented with 3 options and for returning players they have no reason to pick option 1 and go through Tutorial Island they have already known long long ago. Returning players pick option 2, and silly Tutorial Island is not for them. :)

As for toolbelt? It is part of the new tutorials if they go through options 2 or 3. No sweat there.

02-Oct-2022 16:16:31

Quick find code: 74-75-381-66261099 Back to Top