Forums

The Work (community project)

Quick find code: 49-50-704-65268736

Deltaslug

Deltaslug

Posts: 32,671 Sapphire Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Azi,
I was tempted to write something ... but hard to feel like you're writing something in your format.

Your structure works better for a first timer or if if someone was trying to submit a 'concept' for a story.

Guess you could always browse stories forum and create a more generic thread of Runescape Tales and ask the author if you can copy/paste to create a more comprehensive tale of the world.

05-Jun-2014 19:37:46

Azigarath

Azigarath

Posts: 9,271 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, this actually was intended to be something for people with less experience, who needed guidance to build-up an idea. I wanted to give focus and attention to beginners who needed help or a direction.

I do read other work here once in a while, though almost always, after giving feedback and exchanging it, the author I spoke with disappears. It felt to me that the only way for any hope to create a longer term interest was to utilise a thread.

I'll still try to keep this forum breathing as best I can.

05-Jun-2014 22:46:08

QuestForLove
Feb Member 2021

QuestForLove

Posts: 101 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, I finally began writing. Although it's nothing close to the bio I posted, and the prologue is only half finished, I'd like to show you what I've got.
Here it is.

Prologue

The young man trudged up the hallway.
Concerned faces eyed him from the shadows. He could hear footsteps echoing his own.
The shadowy faces began to whisper.
“Slay the beast.”
Those three words, repeated over and over, washed over the young man.
He had to do it. It would mean prosperity for his family, which lost its face during the war.
The soft light at the end of the hallway grew closer. Fewer of the onlookers followed him, for fear of the light.

The light was the monster’s advantage. After years in the dark, the citizens of Talos grew sensitive to light, eyes growing weak and more accustomed to darkness. All the others that tried to kill the beast were temporarily blinded upon entering its lair, giving the monster an unfair advantage.
The young man had trained for this by exposing himself to soft light, moving on to brighter light every month. He had begun to get color in his skin again.

The young man’s hallway trek was coming to a close. The light grew brighter, but he could bear it. He stopped at a door which appeared to be radiating light. At this point, no one was following him anymore, but he could still hear soft words.
“Slay the beast.”
Gathering his courage, the young man threw open the door and brandished his dagger.

The young man’s screams could be heard at the beginning of the hallway. The doors shut, and hopes were destroyed.

Well, that's it for now. Constructive criticism, please! :D

27-Aug-2014 02:57:40

Azigarath

Azigarath

Posts: 9,271 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, thanks for not forgetting about this!

I read your post, but I actually don't have much to say. The last line was pretty good, though. Mechanics are alright, too.

I also have a second thread about creating monsters and races, which I'll bump. It's much easier to do, but lacks much storytelling. I was hoping it'd be better, but no one posted on it.

27-Aug-2014 11:27:32

QuestForLove
Feb Member 2021

QuestForLove

Posts: 101 Iron Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yeah, I'll definitely change and re-write a lot.

I have many ideas for this story, and I hope I can actually finish it someday.
Your monster thread sounds interesting. It's something that I can make use of.

See you around!

27-Aug-2014 19:18:12

Quick find code: 49-50-704-65268736 Back to Top