Forums

RuneSpace

Quick find code: 49-50-663-31620033

Binary Clone

Binary Clone

Posts: 6,886 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
gr8 story! i havnt finished it yet, but it's a great concept. I really like the battle descriptions, those were really good.

I have a couple of stories, but i wont name them as that would be advertizing. I'm more of a mideival story writer, so reading this was a great experience.

Just one thing: I doubt that we will have that kind of technology in 50 years, let alone 29. It would take a massive amount of energy, and connecting brains like that over the internet is like... well, far beyond our technology. If you have seen the movie The Matrix, you kind of know what it would be like, but all of the humans are interconnected by one system. If in Runespace they were all in seperate places and could go in and out, imagine how much more complicated it would be. Even think how much work it took to create Runescape! If a team were to re-create it now, with all the technology we have currently, it would still take a very long time.
Runespace production could, and probably would, take a generation's worth of work! The creators would probably be dead by the time the first unupdated version came out!

This is simply my brainstorming, so if you like, you can ignore this completely.

Also think about movies. It takes years to create an animated movie, and that is one solid thing that never changes, but a video game, especially massive and/ or multiplayer games like Runescape, could/would take several years to make, I believe.

13-Nov-2006 02:11:47 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2006 02:20:45 by Binary Clone

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

Posts: 2,173 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for your feedback. A couple of things-

1. You're probably right that this stuff won't be developed by 2035. However, don't underspeculate the advance of technology. Every single person who has made a reasonable prediction of the advancement of computer technology has been way off.

2. A solar system with a dozen or so planets would take forever, but I think a virtual reality version of RuneSCAPE is within the limits of developers. Video game developers have software programs called engines, which drastically increase the rate at which they can develop a game. To make an object, they only need to make a few lines for the skeleton and paste on a texture. The engine does all the hard work, like determining what each polygon looks like from each angle. Virtual reality would take a little longer, because there are more angles to consider, but a static virtual reality environment is not out of the question for a team of developers.

13-Nov-2006 03:41:12 - Last edited on 13-Nov-2006 03:42:01 by [#Z4I81DBPJ]

Cool Chris

Cool Chris

Posts: 1,979 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
ya but wat if dey needed say 1 year more 4 virtual reality wouldn't it b so cool if dey came out with virtual reality next year? and runespace was real dat'd b fun training cb and fun training agil if der was agil 2 in runespace(is der? u never put it in da story)

13-Nov-2006 03:45:52

Binary Clone

Binary Clone

i doubt this is true, as it is from a movie, but it could be.

He comes out from 'virtual reality'
"I thought it wasn't real," he says, tasting blood in his mouth.
"your mind makes it real," Says the teacher.

You probably know which movie i'm talking about, so it is probably not true, but who knows?

13-Nov-2006 21:31:30

The contents of this message have been hidden.

14-Nov-2006 07:04:09

[#MR0CZTJUP]

[#MR0CZTJUP]

Posts: 2,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Yes, I would like to comment on the "virtual reality" thing Dellanding.

The movie, THE POLAR EXPRESS is a quite a fine example of virtual reality. The actor's and actresses had small suction cups attached to their body in various places. (Joints most particularly.)

Then they transformed the data feedback from the suction cups into digital animation and had a digital character that had the real actors' movments'.

The only problem is, is that can video gaming companies create constant images for the player and not take a while to create just ONE image.

But THE POLAR EXPRESS shows that this technology is closer then we think, and we just have to be confident.

-Mapmaster5

14-Nov-2006 22:12:41

Binary Clone

Binary Clone

You're right Dell, your body would probably not bleed or kill you if you get hurt or die in virtual reality, but you, maybe, might "wake up" in pain if it is too realistic, and you body thinks you are injured. The body can be tricked. I've had many experiences in that. Maybe too many O_o .

But, what do I know? I'm just an idiotic 6th grader that loves Runescape and is good at math and reading.

15-Nov-2006 01:25:59

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

Posts: 2,173 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
The mind can be tricked, but it's not the mind that makes you bleed or die, it's physical injury or illness (unless those crazy Buddhist monks have learned a new trick...).

Things like shock, however, are caused by the mind, therefore, the mind can be tricked into entering such a state. It's also known that extended periods of hightened stress can permanently alter the makeup of the brain, causing lifelong psychological and physical problems. Both of these are potential dangers from virtual reality, while physical injury is not. Think about it this way- what muscle would you move to cause yourself to spontaneously bleed? If there's no muscle poised to puncture your blood vessels, then the mind physically cannot do it. I suppose it's possible the mind could decide to stop sending blood and oxygen to the brain, but what kind of stimulus would cause the brain to do something like that?

Also, I'm not sure what your point was, Mapmaster, but in a virtual reality game that directly hijacks your nervous system, the position you THINK your body is in is the position your body will be viewed in in the game.

15-Nov-2006 03:35:00

Quick find code: 49-50-663-31620033 Back to Top