Forums

RuneSpace

Quick find code: 49-50-663-31620033

The contents of this message have been hidden.

15-Nov-2006 15:09:02

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

Posts: 2,173 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks for the review. I doubt you'll find any stories that are absolutely perfect in grammar and spelling, so I consider 8/10 almost perfect.

And once again, I'm not going to try and predict how long it will take to develp virtual reality, even though this story contained a date.

15-Nov-2006 21:44:17

The contents of this message have been hidden.

16-Nov-2006 02:51:34

[#MR0CZTJUP]

[#MR0CZTJUP]

Posts: 2,560 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
About the virtual reality thing Dellanding...thats kind of what I meant. See, they actually have the technology to transmit human movements into computer.

But can they make the NERVES or MIND think that their in the computer.

Its kind of complex...

16-Nov-2006 22:30:53

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

[#Z4I81DBPJ]

Posts: 2,173 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Mmmkay, let me try to explain this- Your body does not move when you are in virtual reality, you only think you're moving. Otherwise you would see people beating the **** out of their PCs when playing a fighting game.

Here's how it works: Your nerve cells communicate with muscle cells, gland cells, and other nerve cells by pushing out some ions into the other cells. The other nerve cells get information from the electric charge of these ions. When you combine all the firing synapses of billions of nervous cells, you get a piece of information.

That information may be from the brain to your arm muscles, saying "Raise your arm." It may be from your eyes to your brain, saying "There's a wall right in front of you."

With prosthetic limbs, what we have been able to do is have a computer send electrical signals to your nerve cells and vice versa. Basically, brain cell says, "Move your fingers." This message travels down the nerve cells in your arms and the computer reads the electricity. The computer then tells the motor in the prosthetic hand to move its fingers. Or it could go vice versa. The sensors in the prosthetic hand tell the computer that the pillow is soft. The computer sends a tiny electrical current to the nerve cells, which take the message up to the brain, which interprets the message. The brain doesn't know it's recieving electrical impulses from a computer. They're just electrical impulses, for all it knows it still has a hand.

Anyway, the dome that swings down over one's head displays a three-dimensional image that fills one's entire field of vision. It also cancels out all outside sound, transmitting only sound from the video game.

Then the computer intercepts all the nerves going to voluntary muscles and the sensory tissue for feeling. Through this, the ions never reach your muscles, they just go to the computer, which interprets them according to the game and sends the information to the screen, speakers, and sensory nerves.

17-Nov-2006 00:37:26

Quick find code: 49-50-663-31620033 Back to Top