Forums

~The Dwellers~

Quick find code: 49-50-622-59046060

Skirata605

Skirata605

Posts: 390 Silver Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Here is another list of errors that I have found in your story. Feel free to disregard them, but they are placed here in the hope that you can fix some mistakes. They go in order from the top of page 3.

First paragraph, two 'there's that need to be 'their's

*I think I have something interesting?” --This is not a question. You could change it to "I think I've got something, what do you think?"

Say it will be a seven on the Richter scale.” --Says it will be

The moment was just barely out of there reach. --barely out of their reach. This seems to be a recurring problem of confusing there with their. 'There' is a preposition and 'their' is a possessive. It's over there on the ground. Hand me their outfits.

Raymond leaned over a looked at Ivan for a moment. --typo there, don't know what you meant to write.

Fortunately a complete background check was down before hand. --Did you mean 'done' or something like 'had been laid down.' In either case the verb tense is incorrect since Bigg's and company have just arrived on scene. It would be more correct this way: "...background check had been done before hand." Also I'd add a comma after 'Fortunately,' since it is an interruptor.

They suspected he was the one who predicted the panic.
--I'm sorry but this is rather incorrect. Zheng predicted an earthquake, and it was his prediction that caused a panic. This is explained in the next paragraph, but the sentence here is factually wrong. Please try to reword this and the next few sentences so that the ideas flow in the proper order.

continued next post...

04-Aug-2009 18:00:58

Skirata605

Skirata605

“Okay guys, go in slowly. This guy looks like nothing more than a few tools short in the shed, but be prepared.” Biggs forwarded the strike.
--First of all I'd recommend a synonym for 'guy' in the second sentence. It sounds repetitive this way. Second, the long wordy description for crazy is not really a noun or an adjective. Adding a pronoun would really help, like this: "This fellow looks like nothing more than somebody a few tools short in the shed, but be prepared." The way you typed it, the reader might conclude that Zheng was just an incomplete collection of power tools, or draw a blank entirely. One more thing, the last sentence sounds a bit odd. It's only 3 guys going in, not like SWAT or anything in a warzone. Using the word 'strike' sounds out of place and messes up the reader's idea of the situation. There is no prelude to this sentence, and it comes off a bit stumped. I'd advise something like: "Biggs took the lead/point."

Someone had jerked his arms behind his back and he could here them crack. --Hear my dear friend, hear. I think you have severe trouble with homophones. Hopefully this fades away futher into the story.

They spun him around and he looked into Biggs cold hard eyes. --Small typo, should be Biggs' , since it's possesive. Apostraphe can't go in the middle because [Biggs] is his name.

“You are around arrest for the disturbance of the peace.
-- I think you meant 'are under' arrest, lol :P

Robert nodded squeamishly turning pale. --This sentence needs a comma, desperately. You can't run a sentence with verb adverb verb. It is very confusing and needs clarification. Either he nods squeamishly, or he squeamishly turns pale. To ensure it's fixed properly: "Robert nodded squeamishly, turning pale."

continued next post...

04-Aug-2009 18:01:53

Skirata605

Skirata605

Biggs handed him over to the trainee’s and headed back to headquarters. --In this case you are actually using a possessive where there is none. There are two trainees, and Zheng is being handed over to THEM, plural, so no need for the apostraphe. <<- Am I spelling that right? Can't tell, lol. :)

“Nicely handled, Biggs. I heard you scared the pants of that kid,” Robin said. --"..the pants off that kid,...

I doubt that kid will be making any more catastrophe prophesies.” Biggs gave Robin a farewell salute and left for home satisfied.
--I can't cite any specific rules here, but using 'catastrophe' how you did sounded awkward. Either capitalize both words and make 'em proper nouns or change it to 'catastrophic.' Catastrophe by itself isn't an adjective. And the last sentence sounds like a word is missing, perhaps: "...and left for home feeling satisfied."

Regrettably, things did not go good for Biggs one hour later. --"things did not go WELL for Biggs" I'd also recommend changing 'one hour later' to 'that evening.'
You see, there is no explanation or continuation of the time, or even it's relation to Biggs. The story shifts to White Wolf Mountain, so focusing like that on Biggs' personal life like that leaves the trail of thought hanging nowhere. The reader might expect to find out what Biggs did one hour later, but get sadly dissappointed this way. I highly advise putting the time phrase in the next sentence, like: "One hour later he found out that Robert Zheng had been right about the earthquake after all, as well as it's intensity."

What he was wrong was the fact that it would not even affect the city, or the neighboring farmland. --Sounds like a missing word, or even a double negative here. Perhaps an 'about' after wrong? Oh yes, and take out the 'not', it does create a double negative. >-< Switch the 'even' to after 'or' as well, improves flow greatly.

continued next post...

04-Aug-2009 18:02:34

Skirata605

Skirata605

They danced through the night sky on fire in flashes of blue, red and white. --Put a ; after 'sky,' a bit of pause helps emphasize the brilliance of the fire.

Large echoing drum thuds could be heard for miles bring tons of debris into the night air. --Personally I'd take out the 'drum' part, feels like too many words. Add a comma after 'miles,' and change the tense, 'bringing' is correct. Even that verb doesn't really make sense with the rest of the sentence. I'd combine everything after 'miles' with the next sentence, maybe something like: "...heard for miles, and clouds of dust rose up into the atmosphere as Galactic debris rained down upon the slopes of the mountain."

“Now we collect a sample. Raymond, do you have the kit.”
--Needs a question mark at the end.

HE was slapping Thomas on the back, who was praying to the sky. --The antecedent is a bit unclear, so I'd put Raymond back in here. The comma seems to alter the mood of elation, taking it out and a little rewording would make it more connected with the exitement going on around the camp. "Raymond was enthusiasticly slapping a praying Thomas on the back." Now the reader can feel the relation of positive energy more clearly. It just makes a better image in my head, no offense.

The sound was sharp and crisp, more of a crack, then a crash. --taking out the second comma helps to focus on the comparison.

Lester said in a sub audible whisper. --This is like a double negative, how can it be 'sub' audible, yet still heard? changing to 'barely' fixes the problem well.

This time they could see were it was resonating from. --...where it was resonating...

The voice was muffled by the loud quakes and made the voice indistinguishable. --some definite repit**ion here, replace 'voice' with 'it' and mix up the wording a bit, you'll be fine.

continued next post...

04-Aug-2009 18:03:47

Skirata605

Skirata605

The rocks collapsed sending them all down into the darkness, into the real darkness. --Comma after 'collapsed,' and maybe changing to: "...all down into the real darkness." Saying 'darkness' twice seems like a waste, since you have already mentioned they were in darkness at the camp. The idea doesn't have to be repeated.

When the dust settled there was nothing but rocks wedged together, masking the giant hole. Reporters and policeman were scaling the mountain in search of bodies, --You really need a transition here Kyle, otherwise the reader hits a huge time-gap. Also seems impossible how it's written here, I mean the quake just happened and there is no way all those reporters are superman. ^.^

This is the end of my grammatical analysis. Unless you start paying me, I shall now continue reading for pleasure only. It became too taxing, but I hope what lies compiled can help you in some way or form. :)

|+| Skirata605

04-Aug-2009 18:04:35

Dark Enmity

Dark Enmity

Posts: 2,957 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I will use that list as soon as possible, and I don't have an resent for you discontinuing pointing out my errors, though I do hope you finish the story. I think you will enjoy it.

To Battler: Yes, sorry, I have been busy working on a pure horror story which will soon debut to these forums. Please wait patiently one more week, and even if the chapter six is totally complete, I will post as much as I have.

04-Aug-2009 18:11:48

Orbestro
Nov Member 2023

Orbestro

Posts: 14,122 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Well, that's embarrassing :P . Anyway, here's your review from Full Circle Reviews!

>Plot – 36/40
Pace: 18/20
- The first page was painful, the rest was riveting. Everything leading up to the earthquake is far, far too drawn out. We don’t need a backstory for every minor character, it just bogs the story down with irrelevant info. All that first section *needs* is the introduction of the alien hunters, Ivan’s backstory and how he met his friends, then the earthquake. Everything else, I would prune.

Content: 17/20
- You rely too much on coincidental oversights for my tastes, and there is lacking of depth in some places, which detracts from the otherwise remarkably fleshed out world of the Dwellers. For example – what exactly does Aimeric do? What is his mining operation looking for? And how does EVERYONE completely miss the fact that Celeste is infuriated? And, why the hell are Aimeric and Celeste sleeping together if they are trying to ‘wait till they’re married’. It’s like trying to go sober while hanging out at a bar – it’s absurd!

>Characters - 31/35
Interaction: 18/20
- You’re going to hear this from me a lot: besides the first page, character interaction was fantastic. Believable dialogue is hard to come by, but man, you’ve got it. I would’ve given you a 19, but again, it’s utterly outrageous the way Celeste is ignored.

Development: 13/15
- Aimeric and Thea’s relationship develops too quickly (and with too much foreshadowing and melodrama *glances meaningfully at narrator*) to have the effect it should. It would have been better to have drawn that out more – let them puzzle out their feelings before deciding they’re in love after a day (which is basically what happens).
Lorehound
through and through.

05-Aug-2009 20:58:43 - Last edited on 05-Aug-2009 21:05:00 by Orbestro

Orbestro
Nov Member 2023

Orbestro

Posts: 14,122 Opal Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
>Description - 25/30
Character: 13/15
- Not terrible, but forgettable. Character descriptions are far more effective when done briefly at first, and then mentioned throughout to remind the reader and add detail. i.e. Celeste tugged at her long, blonde/brown/red (I don’t actually know) hair as she fumed at Thea. Not a great example, but you get the idea.

Setting: 12/15
- The city of the Dwellers was very under-described – that’s the reason for the low score. In general, your setting needs a lot more detail. I simply cannot picture your world in my mind – you haven’t given us much to go on.

>Style - 19/25
Voice: 14/15
- Your morbid and often humorous narration gives a unique and comfortable feel through the story. Well done!

Consistency: 5/10
- Oh, dear. Sometimes, I felt like I was reading a published book, but then I would see something like ‘ask’ used instead of *answered’, and the feeling was shattered. EDIT EDIT EDIT is all I have to say to that.

>Mechanics - 12/20
Syntax: 10/15
- This was a badly edited story, there’s just no way around it. I commented on less than half the errors I saw, because it was the same errors over and over again.

Spelling: 2/5
- Typos and obvious errors throughout.

>>>Overall - 123/150, or 82%

I was extremely hard on you, because I saw in Dwellers a vast amount of potential - some of it fulfilled, marred by a huge amount of technical errors, as well as more complex problems.
Lorehound
through and through.

05-Aug-2009 21:01:00

Quick find code: 49-50-622-59046060 Back to Top