Forums

Aeraie's Compilation

Quick find code: 49-50-596-63919486

Cyun

Cyun

Posts: 2,389 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I've just read Uncle Sam. Although I don't know a great deal about American politics, I can pick up the underlying political directive from the instantly recognisable poster. I thought it was very clever. You manage to paint descriptions so easily with so few words, a skill that I can never seem to grasp. Like in: "Uncle Sam’s greasy eyes groped Adam’s boy for a moment as he breathed heavily."
I got a sense of failed American dream, and the realistic image behind the rosy face of Uncle Sam's illustration. It was as if when Tim and Adam stepped into the modest shack they uplifted a rock to reveal the bitter truth beneath. One which proclaimed Mr stereotype American man as gluttonous, lazy and apathetic. I was a little confused to why Sam's brother would give him this letter, unless he worked for the military, but still it would be posted or at least delivered by an official. I guess I shouldn't look too deeply as it is a metaphor and shouldn't be scrutinised in this way. The speech, as always was captivating and in this case very cleverly crafted. I spotted a few spelling errors, but I really don't care.
If there were anything that I would change would be the last two lines. I kind of felt that you needed to end it with "That's one crazy idea, son", because I thought the words "non-existing patriotism" was telling me something that I already picked up as the message from the whole thing, and was just re-telling it to me when it should be left unsaid. However, that really is nitpicking and I can see why you put it there. Overall though, excellent.

07-Aug-2012 23:23:05 - Last edited on 08-Aug-2012 00:23:26 by Cyun

Aeraie

Aeraie

Posts: 9,100 Rune Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Thanks, Cyun. I believe I had it in my mind at the time that Uncle Sam was getting his mail in the same P.O. Box that Tim owned, and when Tim picked up the mail that day he saw the letter and dropped it off.

08-Aug-2012 04:13:27

Cyun

Cyun

Posts: 2,389 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
I read "God is Dead" and "Ommetaphobia" earlier this afternoon. The latter was a really unique and interesting subject to write about, it makes me think that a Phobia Anthology could work. The "God is Dead" was a fantastic descriptive piece, put me right amongst the terror of 9/11.

10-Aug-2012 20:52:40

Quick find code: 49-50-596-63919486 Back to Top