Forums

Wrath of the Dark Empire

Quick find code: 49-50-536-60692025

Crocefisso

Crocefisso

Posts: 1,385 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Rois was exasperated. There was no need to even ask how they’d lost so many; they were worse equipped.
“Collect all bodies at the general store, Sergeant. Loot them for armour, weapons and other supplies. Civilians are included.”
“Yes sir."
The Sergeant and his men charged away, busily dragging bodies and carrying armour. Rois slumped into a blue leather sofa inside the palace. His army was weakened. The Shantay Pass would be quite an obstacle. They needed rest. He too, tired from conquest, stressed by the
pressures of Yahi and her demands, needed rest.
That evening, the sun’s embers disappeared before their allotted time, the sorrow of the heavens so heavy it dragged even the sun from the sky. The captured officials, including the Prince of Warfare, were lined against the palace walls. Rois stood on the balcony, bathed in shadow from a new moon. His face was hidden, a face which bore the scars of war, a face stone cold; a shell for a cruel mind with no regrets or sorrow. Rois lifted his arm and motioned to his soldiers.
They drew their swords and with one swift move sliced the flesh of their captives. Heads rolled and corpses fell, limp, lifeless, leaving sketches of blood on the palace walls as they did. Rois shed one tear for these men, no more, no less. Shadows were his security. War was easy. Dreams concerned Rois, here he had no control; here he was not safe. Dreams stirred fear in Rois like men and weapons could not. In his dreams, his conscience spoke.

09-Apr-2010 11:24:45 - Last edited on 09-Apr-2010 12:14:58 by Crocefisso

Crocefisso

Crocefisso

CHAPTER 4: IN THE DREAMS OF ROIS
The trees were everywhere. They swayed, yet there was no breeze. Grass as tall as children wrapped around Rois’ ankles, he swiped with his machete, but it did nothing. Rois stood like a statue. With one swift motion he jumped with all his strength. A wind that did not exist whipped him up, and he flew over the jungle. There was no point in landing, Rois could not. His energy had been sucked by the grass and he could not regain it.
After what seemed like aeons of flying over jagged peaks and verdant pastures, Rois landed in a hut made of silk, held up by tree-sized spears. Inside sat a green dragon of gargantuan proportions; beside him was a tiny candle which gave off a bright light. The hut glowed with a godlike radiance, the divinity of the atmosphere ruined only by the presence of a dragon. Rois wondered how such a beast could fit in a small hut. The dragon opened his chasm-like mouth and spoke.
“General. Welcome to yourself. This is the gateway to your soul.”
Rois turned on his heel and started to run. Before he’d taken two steps, the dragon threw the candle at Rois. Upon the collision of Rois and the candle, the former burst into flames. The scream was enough to deafen a banshee, the light enough to blind a bat. In the light of the flickering flames, the dragon’s face was illuminated. It was a haggard, rough face, deep lines of stress and scars of battle formed deep ridges. To his horror, Rois saw that these ridges were flowing with a blue substance.
Liquid mercury,” the dragon boomed over Rois, who was still screaming in pain, evidently having read his mind, “I sustained them at the Battle of Al Kharid. I was with you that day. I was the Sergeant.”
Rois’ mind whizzed with questions; who or what was this dragon, how was he alive, why was he claiming to be human?
“I think that’s enough questions for now. You can know me simply as Soul.”

11-Apr-2010 15:49:38

Crocefisso

Crocefisso

With that Soul lifted a leathery hand. Water flooded into the hut, washing away the spears, bringing the silk down onto Rois, who was in turn extinguished and relieved of pain. Rois blacked out.
Petals from a blossom tree landed gently on Rois’ nose, but they were enough to awaken him. After a period of coughing and spluttering, he found himself on the bank of a lake, its calm emerald waters gently soaked his feet, surrounded on all sides by snow capped mountains and groves of cherry blossom, pink and white, whose colours were exaggerated by the orange glow of the setting sun. Rois stood. He turned and saw a small house, a house he’d seen before in a different setting a long time ago. He’d often attended meetings in the pristine little home, made of neatly piled oak logs. The house belonged to his former general, back when they called him Corporal Rois, long before he joined the Dark Empire. His name was General Croce.
Struck with horror and twisted by guilt, Rois was frozen. He could not move. When he saw the figure of a man in effervescent, golden robes appear in the doorway of the house, Rois still did not move. He couldn’t, guilt and fear immobilised his legs, as if they had become stone. The figure glided over the grass, petals swirling around him as he drew ever closer. His olive skinned face looked darker in the sun’s half-light, his beard had not changed. Only his eyes were different; they no longer possessed their vitality, they did not glow with joy. They were still, unmoving, grey ovals inside a stern looking face.
“General Rois. Conqueror of Varrock, perpetrator of the Lumbridge Massacre, destroyer of Al Kharid, my old bodyguard, how was your journey here?” Croce’s tone was friendly but, at the same time, there was a quiet menace to his intonation.
“Sir, Croce… you’re dead. You must be!” Rois trembled. He was confused for the first time in his life, and he hated the feeling.

11-Apr-2010 15:50:34

Crocefisso

Crocefisso

“You never found my body. I may be dead, I may not. But I am here now to show you.”
“Show me what? Where am I?” Rois found his voice growing more hysterical and higher in pitch with every word; he thought he might be turning into Yahi.
“This is my home inside of you. Recently, you’ve been shunning me and the memory of me, Rois. This was wrong of you. So I have taken it upon myself to show you.”
Rois fell to his knees and stretched his arms toward the dark, bearded face that loomed over him.
“Show me what?” he moaned, weeping a little as he did.
General Croce merely stepped forward and patted Rois gently on the head. A coy smile danced across his face.
All of a sudden Rois’ eyes were full of flashing images. A wounded woman laid on a sandy street, a headless baby with a stump for a neck bled over her robes as she wept. A young boy in armour, who shook as he held a spear far too large for him, was sliced down on a blood red bridge. Fires raged in an inn, a few old men and a young couple, pressed against the wall, screamed for help as flames licked and tickled their skin, burning it slowly. Through the window a dark soldier stood, nonchalant, uncaring, as he watched civilians die.

11-Apr-2010 15:51:22 - Last edited on 11-Apr-2010 15:52:07 by Crocefisso

Crocefisso

Crocefisso

“Sir,* the Sergeant shook Rois “Sir, it’s time to wake up.”
Rois opened his dreary eyes. Desert sunlight flooded the room, causing the marble flooring to reflect white light straight into his eyes. He blinked a little, yawned, and sat up in the blue silk bed.
“Sir, you were moaning and mumbling.”
“I had the most horrible dream, Sarge.*
*I am sorry to hear it, sir. But we must get things ready. The Empress is arriving this afternoon.”
Rois groaned. She was really in a hurry to conquer, it seemed. He stumbled out of bed, the images of last night** dream still playing through his haunted mind. A shiver ran down his spine.

11-Apr-2010 15:52:40

Yoh the Noob

Yoh the Noob

Posts: 1,131 Mithril Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Great chapter. You really have a knack for writing.
However, when Rois was burning it says the scream would deafen the banshee which doesn't make much sense seeing as the banshee only screamed loudly. She didn't have inpentrable ears. ;)

11-Apr-2010 18:41:45

Quick find code: 49-50-536-60692025 Back to Top