Forums

Short Stories

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Posts: 3,830 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile

If you like my writing then you could also read my other stories(I'm pretty sure I named them at the beginning the this story).

Here's a question for readers: Should I post another short story, even though this one may be the last one I have sitting around, and it'll take me a bit to make more after I post that one?

29-Oct-2006 19:41:01

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

Kelara ran through the trees, stooping now and then to avoid the dead branches that jutted from the canopy.

The sound of footsteps----the sound that had followed her for the last ten panting minutes----grew louder.

She glanced back in terror.

Then she paid the price for not keeping her eyes in front.
Her thin shirt was torn open and a oozing scrape appered across her chest, as a thick branch with spiky knots dotting it slashed her.

The steps came closer.

She threw herself at a tree, scrabbling up it in fear, using her nails to scramble up the ten feet of branchless trunk. Once she made the sturdy, easy-to-climb branches she slowed down, the fear-strength wearing off.

Concealed slightly in the gray-green leaves, she peered out, trying to glimpse what had been chasing her.

Down on the ground a man ran from the surounding forest, followed closely by three more people. The first man was very thin, with raggedy clothes that used to be fine, crimson-and-gold rich man's clothes. He held a long snake-like weapon that glittered in the scant light.

A Kun'* Whip!

Kelara gasped. Only few people had the skill to weild one of these. The master swordsman of her village, Kelor, wasn't even good enough for one. They were a gorgous weapon, but deadly.

The second person was another man, features covered by a mop of dirty brown hair with what looked like twigs in it. He didn't have a weapon at all, and didn't look like he could use one either.

The third was a pretty woman, long blond hair framing her face. She wore a rag tied about her chest with a crude skirt of grass. As with the other two, she looked as though she hadn't seen civilazation in years. She held a branch-club.

Kelara wondered why the first man had such a wonderful weapon, but the others had only primative things.

The last man weilded the same club as the woman, and was dressed almost the same as well.

31-Oct-2006 00:58:18

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

He looked as though he had come into the wood at the same time as the woman. Like the woman he was good looking, and they might have been a couple.

The first man, evidently the leader, stopped to look at the bloody branch where she had cut herself. He looked back at his followers, unsure as to where she had gone.

Then he looked up.

Oh well, he thought, it had looked like she went up the tree, but she didn't seem to be there.

Meanwhile Kelara had made use of the pause. Having told herself that it was her or them, and snuck down from the tree, she waited for the time when one of the four would turn their back.

The leader turned slowly in a circle, scanning the trees for a sign of his prey.

He was half way around when a scream rang out.

He spun, just in time to see a young woman, probaly the one that he had been chasing, leap from the trees and sink her fangs into the neck of one of his team.

----

Kelara wimpered at the taste of the blood on her tounge. So good, so good..... but she couldn't stop attacking now, even for a fresh kill.

She ran foward, this time taking the woman, who stood dumbly, staring at the body of her companion. As she felt Kelara's teeth she cried out, changing abruptly into wolven form. Shaking her head franticly, she tried to sink her jaws into Kelara. Kelara however, had a good hold, and tore a gaping hole in the werewolf's throat. The woman's struggles ceased as her blood flowed out, until soon she was unmoving.

Kelara hadn't avoided the werewolf's teeth completely though, she had a deep bite in her thigh that nearly brought her down with every step she took. Trying her best to shake it off, she raised her head and snarled, baring her bloody fangs at the man with the club.
He was a werewolf as well then, for he changed to his wolven form swiftly and, snarling, came on the attack.

31-Oct-2006 00:59:17

Anne Lauten

Anne Lauten

The combatents circled, the man knowing that soon Tyven, his leader, would come behind and end the vampire's life with a swift flick of his Whip.

Kelara knew the same thing, so she did her best to keep her back to the forest and keep the Whip-wielder in her sight.

The werewolf and vampire stared at each other, knowing that one of them would make the first move and trying to perdict what their's opponent's would be.

The first move was made by the werewolf, who leaped foward, trying to fatelly wound Kelara. She jumped aside and the beast's jaws snapped together where she used to be.

She made the next move, quickly deciding that she couldn't keep her eyes on both her adversaries at the same time. In jumping aside, she had landed at the base of a fairly branchy tree, and up she went, stopping at a point about twenty feet up.

The man with the Whip grinned and walked over to her tree.

There, he said the thing that she was most sure he wouldn't ask.

"What's your name," he called up, "I can see why you're here."

Kelara thought about it, and decided that telling him her name wouldn't hurt her. "My name's Kelara," she shouted down, "what's yours, what's his, and why are you here? I can see why he's here."

"I'm Tyven and this is Nator. I'm here because people thought I was a wizard."

"Thought you were a wizard? So you're not a wizard?"

"No, I'm not. However, my weapon is so fast and deadly that they assumed I had enchanted it. My village is deathly afraid of any magic, so they forced me in here, to The Forest of Magic."

"Why didn't you just kill them?"

"Who, the villagers? I didn't want to kill them, so I just figured that when they left, I'd leave the forest."

"Why aren't you gone then?"

"You can't leave this forest. I've tried to for ages, and you just can't. It's magic."

"Are you sure?"

"Why would I be here if I wasn't sure?"

31-Oct-2006 00:59:41 - Last edited on 31-Oct-2006 01:05:29 by Anne Lauten

Quick find code: 49-50-526-31637980 Back to Top