Forums

Infamous

Quick find code: 49-50-387-60195456

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

Posts: 2,868 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Chapter 13

The next day, Sunday, Alex decided to spend with Rosette. It'd been a while since they'd just hung out, so Rosie was really excited to go into town alone with Alex. She wanted to spend her wage - which Alex discovered was significantly less than his - on new clothes. Shopping for attire wasn't high on Alex's list of things to do on a Suday, but he willed himself to go anyway. It made Rosie happy.

Sadly, after about fifteen minutes of "that looks nice" and "No, that doesn't make you look fat", Alex had to step outside for some air.

It was a beautiful afternoon. The sun sat high in the sky, and its rays warmed Alex quickly. The average temperature rose a few degrees each day as the month of June crept closer. Winter was a distant memory, and Alex could hardly remember snow.

A small crowd gathered at the edge of Varrock Square. They chattered like wrens, each holding a copy of the Varrock Herald. Of course, Alex only brough enough money to buy lunch for Rosette and himself, so he couldn't even spare the pocket change to purchase a Herald for himself. He'd have to rely on his ears in order to figure out what the fuss was all about.

He stepped up to the large fountain in the middle of the square - ostentacious, of course (King Roald wouldn't have it any other way) - and pretended to examine it closer. As a child, when his father brough him to Varrock, Alex stared at the fountain for hours, trying to figure out how it worked. He knew it now, though. It was quite obvious: magic.

While he pretended to be confused, the crowd of people behind him buzzed about like honey bees.

"It's tragic!"

"I can't believe it meself!"

"That's one a week now..."

"Richard and I are moving to Lumbridge. It's safer for the children."

"'ow can one 'oman be so cruel?"

31-Aug-2010 16:13:17 - Last edited on 31-Aug-2010 16:22:55 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

[#BPN2TQMFI]

Posts: 2,868 Adamant Posts by user Forum Profile RuneMetrics Profile
Their comments weren't filling Alex's curiosity; they were making it worse. Finally, he turned around and tapped the nearest crowd member on the shoulder. It was an older woman with her gray hair pulled back tight enough to stretch out the wrinkles on her face. When she saw Alex, she clicked her tongue.

Alex started, "Excuse me, miss-"

"Mrs. Thyme," she snapped, cutting him off in the middle of his question. She clicked her tongue again.

"Oh," Alex said. "Sorry, Mrs. Thyme. Do you-"

"Whatever you're selling," she spat, "I'm not buying!" She crossed her arms and clicking her tongue, again.

Alex recoiled in shock. What a vicious old lady. She reminded him much of a feral cat. "That's not what-"

Mrs. Thyme seemed determined not to let Alex finish a sentance. She clicked her tongue. Again. "Then what, by Saradomin, do you want, boy?"

Of course, out of everyone in the crowd, Alex would pick the oldest, cruelest woman to talk to. He spoke quickly this time and finally managed to finish a thought: "I wanted to ask you why everyone is so worked up."

In the most predictable, not-surprising way possible, Mrs. Thyme clicked her tongue. "Well, boy, why didn't you say so? I'm not a gypsy mind reader!"

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Thyme. I didn't-"

"Oh, shut up. I know you didn't know. By the looks of it, you don't know anything." She clicked her tongue again before speaking. Alex flinched. Tongue-clicking just surpassed a leaky faucet as one of the most annoying sounds ever. Mrs. Thyme handed her copy of the Herald to Alex. "It's the headline. Hopefully, you can read. Take my copy; I only buy it for the obituaries anyway."

Alex began to thank her, but she clicked her tongue and walked away before he finished. THe headline was, quite obviously, the reason the crowd of people was so frightened. When Alex read it, his face turned pale.

31-Aug-2010 16:21:46 - Last edited on 31-Aug-2010 16:23:39 by [#BPN2TQMFI]

Quick find code: 49-50-387-60195456 Back to Top